• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Collector Plates

Mustanglvr

The time has come to license my GT/CS again and friends have told me to get collector plates. I`ve been told that they are only used when you drive the car to and from car shows and parades. I really would like the collector plates but I will be driving the car to cruises, to the store, and to drive my elderly mother (a real Mustang Sally in her own right) to and from the nursing home. I would`nt want to get a ticket for driving it more than the plates are for. Does anybody know if it would be an infraction an officer would enforce? I really want to go by the law but would like to know exactly what the restrictions would be for these plates. Thank you, Rhonda

rvrtrash

Contact the motor vehicle department of the state you live in and they can tell you what, if any, restrictions there are. Every state seems to be a little different. As to whether a cop will give you a ticket, it depends on the cop, the day he's had, how much he likes your car, etc. Popular rumour is you can show a little skin and get out of a ticket but it's never worked for me. :D
Steve

390cs68rcode

in Texas all you have to do is take in a pair of plates from the year your car was made and when you register they make those plates the ones for your car. You can also get modern antique plates that say antique car on them but they are similar to the current style.

dualies

I live in California, and I have a pair of very good condition Black plate, I tried to get a new plate with the
old plate # but the DMVon line wont accept the old #(one digit missing),is there a way I can use my black plate somehow?

case12

Rhonda, I live in Illinois and have the same issue. In our states the collector (or 'antique') plates can only be used to go to car shows/cruises and are usually about 20% of the cost of regular plates. I decided to go for the regular plates, just so I wouldnt be tied down to the limitation you mention. Although, I have seen plenty of antique plate cars going places that did not look like a show to me. Plus, in Illinois I wanted personalized plates and could not get those on 'antique' plates. So I opted for the regular plates.

BTW - My wife selected my personalized plates for the GT/CS, and we just got them in, and they are: GLD RSH 8

She thought that the car coming from california, being a 1968, and being sunlit gold would be perfect for gold rush 68. Casey

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, most states are different.

In CO the collector plates mean you don't have to emissions the car for 5 years, but you pay 5 years registration in advance. There aren't any driving restrictions.

In AZ the "antique" plates cost more, but get you absolutely no benefit (other than aesthetics) and also have no driving restrictions.

MN apparently does have driving restrictions:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/MotorVehicle/specialplates.htm#Collector

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thanks for all the input guys. You`ve been a great help. Having the collector plates in Minnesota would definately be too restrictive for me. I think I`m gonna go with using the same old plates everybody else on the road uses. I still want to enjoy driving my GT/CS for a long time to come. I could`nt stand having it in the driveway and not being able to jump in it and drive whenever I wanted too. Thanks again, Rhonda

T Code Bob

MIchigan has three options:

Regular plates

Historic Vehicle plates, blue with gold lettering, valid for 10 years

Original Plates, if you can find plates from the year your car was built, you can register these for the car and they're good as long as you own the car. I managed to find a set of unregistered NOS 1968 Michigan plates at a swap meet a few years ago and that what my car is wearing.

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Yeah, I guess I could have had a personalized plate done, but I really could`nt come up with a good idea for a name. I do have the original black plates for the car but they are Texas plates. Does`nt do me much good here in Minnesota. Rhonda

PFSlim

We have regular plates on our car now. However, I have applied for MO personnel plates. My selections were as follows:

68 GTCS, 68GTCS, GTCS68, GTCS, PB GTCS, PBGTCS

We can ask for six different selections. They pick the one that is not used. We should know in 4-6 weeks.

Paul

hookedtrout

I have two sets of Idaho GTCS plates one in the centenial eddition and one in regular green Idaho. I plan on using them when I show the car. I licensed it that way years ago and still have the plates well taken care of.

I think my next plate application will be SPCL 1.

Hook

mmarsalone

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1437;start=0#msg8508 date=1110235313]
We have regular plates on our car now. However, I have applied for MO personnel plates. My selections were as follows:

68 GTCS, 68GTCS, GTCS68, GTCS, PB GTCS, PBGTCS

We can ask for six different selections. They pick the one that is not used. We should know in 4-6 weeks.

Paul
[/quote]

Paul, I know it's down on your list, but I already have GT CS in Missouri. I do have a space in mine, where it looks like you don't. I don't know if that would make enough difference to issue another set of plates with the exact same letters. I stopped by the license bureau in St. Louis and they checked what was availble for me. GT CS was my first choice and it was available. So it was just a small chance that someone else would get their request in the mail before me.

Mike

PFSlim

Thanks Mike. Good for you. I have it down on my list as I really want 68 GTCS. Anyway, we will see. Send me a pic of your plates when you get them.

Paul