View Full Version : Restoration Costs

Mosesatm
03/15/2005, 02:22 PM
It seems like the average price for a full GT/CS restoration is around $20,000 plus or minus a few grand.

Has anyone catagorized those costs as engine, rust repair, suspension, brakes, body and paint, interior, and so on? And if so would you be willing to share the information?

I think it would be of great use to those of us who are starting a restoration or are looking for a good car to restore.

Thanks
Arlie

rvrtrash
03/15/2005, 02:55 PM
I kept a list of everything, but it would take a few days to compile the info the way you want. If you're not in a hurry, I can give you ballpark numbers. I usually placed orders with a little of everything in them, some engine, body, suspension, etc. and don't feel like breaking it all out to the penny.
Steve

Mosesatm
03/15/2005, 03:08 PM
Anything you can offer, even ballpark numbers, would be fantastic. thanks for your help.

390cs68rcode
03/15/2005, 03:17 PM
here is something to up the "average" for wheels....

just spent $725 for NOS trim rings and NOS GT hub caps. ::)

for what it is worth please use me as a example to raise the average price spent on stuff. http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/028.gif

anyone got any NOS stuff for sale?

Mosesatm
03/16/2005, 06:31 AM
Maybe it's time we change your tag line to "Just say NOS" ;D

390cs68rcode
03/16/2005, 06:38 AM
Maybe it's time we change your tag line to "Just say NOS" ;D

or "How much is it gonna cost me this time?"

;)

off to John's this morning.

PB gtcs
03/16/2005, 07:53 AM
Guys,

Paul is traveling. He should be back late tonight or tomorrow. He was our accountant on our build. I know he had it broken down for body, engine, and so forth. So, it might be enlightening. Will this sight take an attachment from excel? If not, then someone will probably have to coach us on how to get the info on the site.

Anyway, thanks again to those that have been interested in our build and for those who helped by passing info. If we can return the favors given here, we are delighted to do so.

Oh, dont have any NOS parts, but have some OS(used) parts.

Brian

PFSlim
03/17/2005, 03:38 PM
Folks

As Brian stated, I kept a running total on an excel spreadsheet for every part we bought. I have it broken down into catagories. There are some costs that Brian picked up that are not added into these totals, but here it is. For you folks that are just starting your restorations, I suggest you close your eyes if you don't want to see these numbers.

$7164.80 - Exterior (includes paint, parts, and help)
$2955.24 - Interior (includes everything we did inside)
$84.30 - Trunk area
$965.90 - Electrical
$959.00 - Motor (parts and motor builder)
$340.00 - Fuel System (gas tank, etc)
$880.22 - Brake System (front disk-rear drum)
$12.95 - Transmission stuff
$10.95 - Steering stuff (don't have power steering rebuild numbers)
$647.80 - Suspension
$504.45 - Rear End
$248.80 - Exhaust
$133.90 - Chrome moldings and trim
$482.84 - Hardware (bolts, nuts, etc)
$463.00 - Wheels and Tires

$15,854.15 Total parts

Excludes what we paid for the car and I am sure another $500 for misc items. As stated, some of Brians expenses do not show up here.

Now, for those who are restoring, you can open your eyes now. Sometimes it is best not to know!! ;D

Paul

hcsstang
03/17/2005, 06:06 PM
My car ran the same. total including the car. 22. Like I said before it got me into trouble with the better half. ::)

rjw
03/17/2005, 08:09 PM
Yikes!
You guys are mighty brave to post such info for the better half to find...I'm sure the other half may have a home project or two in mind with similar totals...After I bought my GTCS, I am sure it was no coincidence that the kitchen was remodeled. One thing is for sure, your costs have been put into something that is appreciating in value; a rolling investment!
Richard

PFSlim
03/18/2005, 09:13 AM
I am lucky that my wife does not visit the site. Otherwise, numbers would be alittle different. Good point though from all of you. I heard a guy say that we need to get the actual cost, then deduct 20-30%. That is what we tell our wife as the true cost.

Is that a good figure??

Paul

Mosesatm
03/18/2005, 09:46 AM
I don't know how you guys hide the credit card statements and check registers but more power to you.

I told my wife that a car would be a lot cheaper and less trouble for my mid life crisis than a girlfriend. For some reason she didn't think that was funny.

rjw
03/18/2005, 10:00 PM
Always pay for your parts in cash...no paper trail.
Richard

PNewitt
03/18/2005, 11:06 PM
The Shelby American magazine, back in the late 1980s did a piece on "The REAL cost of a Shelby", which included:

-Out to dinner with wife to announce buying a Shelby
-Flowers on the day the Shelby was bought
-A '66 Mustang Convertible for her.
-etc. etc...

Paul N.

Mustanglvr
03/18/2005, 11:13 PM
Are you guys serious? You really don`t tell your wives how much you have spent on your cars? You all act like its an everyday, ordinary thing to lie to your wives. I guess I don`t understand. I really don`t want to step on any toes here but do you really want wives that are oblivious to your spending? I`ve met women who did`nt have a clue how to put gas in there own cars because their husbands did everything for them. Your wives have a right to know about all your finances. It is only fair to her in case something happens to you. I think you guys are probably only kidding but it has struck a chord with me. Rhonda

Mosesatm
03/19/2005, 04:29 AM
Rhonda, I think most of it is tongue-in-cheek....at least I hope so.

19HCS68
03/19/2005, 05:03 AM
Settle down there Rhonda. :o I don’t think the guys are saying, “I’m going to LIE to my wife about what I spent”. It would probably be more like; she did not ask, so I’m not going to bring it up. This is caused by what we men know as the “wrath of a scorned woman”. This wrath is a result of values and perspective. It has been my observation that men would spend $2000 on an engine and he is OK with that. She is NOT! But, she would spend that same $2000 on jewelry and be OK with that. I know what I think of that, and guys correct me if I’m wrong here. HE is not! Don’t get me wrong, I love to get my wife what pleases her. But we are back to values and perspective. My wife was not the one to say, “Let’s get this mustang”. I am the one who holds our car in the highly valued category. She likes the car all right, but she does not value it the same as I. There are probably a lot of guys out there in the same boat as I am. So let’s pose the question. Do all women tell their husbands what they spent EVERY time they go to the mall. I think not. As long as your finances can support your spending, things work out. Kinda like the comments in an earlier post; “I got my car and then the kitchen was remodeled”. Values and perspective at work! ;)

Just my humble opinion,

Gary

390cs68rcode
03/19/2005, 05:49 AM
Are you guys serious? You really don`t tell your wives how much you have spent on your cars? You all act like its an everyday, ordinary thing to lie to your wives. I guess I don`t understand. I really don`t want to step on any toes here but do you really want wives that are oblivious to your spending? I`ve met women who did`nt have a clue how to put gas in there own cars because their husbands did everything for them. Your wives have a right to know about all your finances. It is only fair to her in case something happens to you. I think you guys are probably only kidding but it has struck a chord with me. Rhonda

Phonda

My wife does not care what I spend on my cars. to some money is more important and where every penny is spent, not really the case in my home.

68gt390
03/19/2005, 07:18 AM
Guess I've got it easier than most here on the site. I don't have to explain my cost to the wife - don't have one. And trust me that's a good thing (My previous one cost me enough). Now on the other hand, my girlfriend who just happens to help with the finances involved with both our cars knows what we've spent and has been more than happy to have done so. As she has plainly stated on more than one occassion - She would rather invest the money into our cars than putting it in the stock market at the current time. And yes as you can imagine, I'm very happy with that. Oh and by the way just so everyone knows - yes, the titles on both cars are in both names.

Don 8)

case12
03/19/2005, 07:33 AM
Rhonda, I tell my wife how much I (we) spend. I must say that I am very blessed to have a mate to support my interests. For my 66 convertible, we bought it together in 2002 for $16k (show driver quality), and I just shared with her that the total is now up to $32k (gulp) - That does not include purchasing the GT/CS last year. When I told her the latest figure, she just turned to me and asked me when I am going to build her a 66 mustang restomod (and she is as far from a 'car nut' as you can get - she watches HGTV mostly). On the other hand, I just went out and helped her pick out new tile for the kitchen - so we share our interests.

That said, My wife told me she supported spending money on the cars on the condition that I NEVER say it is a good $ investment (and she is serious about that!). Casey

nfrntau
03/19/2005, 08:34 AM
Wow Rhonda, you really het a nerve on this one. I think almost all couples have thier own way of dealing with this issue. Very seldom do couples inform each other of every single penny they spend. If ever, it just isn't feasible.
The big stuff is another story again and everybody has a different idea of what the big stuff is.
I'm single, I keep my bills paid, my Kids well fed and happy, my Fiance happy and still have a little left over for me and my toys.
Of course I do get the "your'e going to let me drive your Mustang, right?" question from my Finance every once in a while.
And you guessed it the answer keeps coming up No. lol
I'm knees and elbows into my restoration now, it just wouldn't do to quit and let all my work go down the drain.
Yep that's right, I keep telling myself it's an investment.
In my happiness!!

rvrtrash
03/19/2005, 09:48 AM
OK Arlie (and anyone else interested), here's my numbers. Bear in mind that when I do a restoration, everything gets rebuilt, repaired or refinished. Every nut and bolt, literally, gets cleaned and repainted but I do a lot of my own work. Engine rebuild, higher perf. than stock, including everything in the engine compartment was $4428. Drivetrain rebuild was $1030. Suspension/Steering/Brakes/Tires was $2006. Interior restoration was $2547. Exterior (including body work due to a rear end collision, but not including what I wasted on the first fiberglass guy) was $7910. If you don't have collision damage, you can knock about $2K off that. Total if you're good with a wrench but are anal about details is about $18K. And yes, I told my girlfriend every dime I spent so that she knows if she ever takes the car for a drive and wrecks it, she should just put the keys on the seat, lock the doors and start walking.
Steve

PFSlim
03/20/2005, 08:22 PM
Rhonda

I am only kidding. Can't speak for anyone else. ;D ;D

Paul

Mustanglvr
03/20/2005, 09:35 PM
Ok, ok, I just gotta keep you guys on your toes you know. ;) But remember, honesty is the best policy. :)
Rhonda

meadowsdk28
03/21/2005, 05:26 AM
Now I know why it's taken me 10 years to get this on the road to completion!! After I saw this post I went out and took an "impromptu inventory" of what was on the shelves in my garage and was astounded. I guess when you by this stuff over a period of time it doesn't seem that expensive.
To address Mustanglvr's issues, for me it is a matter of give and take. I buy the car, she got a whole new house. I buy a new top end for the motor, she gets a bedroom makeover. I buy a new interior package, she gets a set of draperies for the living room with the high speed, custom built padded valance. I get a hump hugger console, she got a carpet cleaner (that I "get" to use). I send it out for paint, she gets a new living room set. Point is, I really don't know exactly how much she has invested in these purchases, let alone the average monthly bill from Walmart. She doesn't exactly know what my amount of spending for this car is running. Bottomline, they're both costly. She gets her enjoyment, I get mine. I have no doubt now why it's taking so long now.

390cs68rcode
03/21/2005, 05:36 AM
Now I know why it's taken me 10 years to get this on the road to completion!! After I saw this post I went out and took an "impromptu inventory" of what was on the shelves in my garage and was astounded. I guess when you by this stuff over a period of time it doesn't seem that expensive.
To address Mustanglvr's issues, for me it is a matter of give and take. I buy the car, she got a whole new house. I buy a new top end for the motor, she gets a bedroom makeover. I buy a new interior package, she gets a set of draperies for the living room with the high speed, custom built padded valance. I get a hump hugger console, she got a carpet cleaner (that I "get" to use). I send it out for paint, she gets a new living room set. Point is, I really don't know exactly how much she has invested in these purchases, let alone the average monthly bill from Walmart. She doesn't exactly know what my amount of spending for this car is running. Bottomline, they're both costly. She gets her enjoyment, I get mine. I have no doubt now why it's taking so long now.

I can relate. I won 18k in Vegas and bought a crate motor for my 66 and my wife got a set of hooters. ;D

Mustanglvr
03/21/2005, 06:05 AM
;)I guess you win both ways in that situation JBSteven. LOL Rhonda

390cs68rcode
03/21/2005, 06:07 AM
;)I guess you win both ways in that situation JBSteven. LOL Rhonda

I was gonna say that. ;D

jk89cat
03/21/2005, 12:10 PM
i havent got there with the mustang yet. but my galaxie, which is still undriveable i have clsoe to 10 k in with a frame off, new suspension, engine and tranny overhauled. and aquiring all needed body panels and misc parts . and it still needs paint, seat covers and chrome work. and of course nice wheels and tires . makes me glad i dont have a girlfreind /wife. justin

PNewitt
03/21/2005, 02:37 PM
Boy, this thread sure took a left turn!

I can see Rhonda's thoughts about this. Every relationship has it's secrets for who buys what, and some are very open and close, and others are very deceptive.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to use money for "toys" for the car if things like food or medical or important things for kids are ignored by this kind of spending.

There is this "guy thing", which is part of that fraternal humor us guys do, and I can see how some women might see it as being sexist, which, I admit, can be at times.

It's a two-way street, tho', and it's each couple's choice how to deal with outside spending like this (and not necessairily for discussion here). If there is an argument to be made for spending "car money", it has to do with satisfaction of the hobby, and that type of happiness isn't always something that you can explain in simple (logical) terms, when it comes to justifying it.

Anyway--my two cents.

Paul N.

mmarsalone
03/21/2005, 05:17 PM
I don't think it's fair for anyone to use money for "toys" for the car if things like food or medical or important things for kids are ignored by this kind of spending.

I've been begging my wife not to buy Easter candy for the kids this year so that I can use that money to buy Paul's first book the next time one shows up on Ebay.

Just kidding, my car purchases have to be self funded. Meaning I have to sell other toys to buy new ones.

Mustanglvr
03/21/2005, 05:44 PM
Thank you Paul. Let me clarify,this reply is not just for you Paul. I feel that we have alot of young gentlemen and women that read the posts on this site. From what they are reading during your "tongue in cheek humor" moments, especially regarding women, I`m afraid they are going to misinterpret the messages that are coming across. I understand that "guys will be guys" but how would you feel if you had read the same posts had they been written by women regarding their husbands? Would you really be able to read through those posts without having to say something like I did? I know I am probably taking all this too seriously but if you read this whole topic from beginning to end you will see that you guys are the ones that turned this topic into "How to spend more on your car without the little wife knowing about it." I just happened to give my opinion. Maybe stuff like that should be kept in your personal messaging to each other. We are not all guys here you know. I would be more than happy for this topic to return back to what it was about, restoration costs, if you guys could keep it that way. ;DRhonda

PNewitt
03/21/2005, 07:48 PM
I agree, Rhonda. Well put.

Yes, it's time to either get back to the topic at hand, or leave this one, and move on.

BTW--in 1988, i sold my first book for $12.95ea.

:'(

007bluto
03/21/2005, 11:48 PM
So here's the tally on my car, so far

New stroke 347 motor $6400.00
Paxton SuperCharger $3400.00
Under hood goodies $1800.00
New Classic Air A/C $1200.00
New Suspension w/koni's $2000.00
New Rearend Posi $1200.00
New AOD Trans $2100.00
New Alum Driveline $350.00
Shelby 10 Spoke rims w/BFG's $2200.00
New Chrome/ Repolish $800.00
New paint w/ hood stripes $5000.00 (Not Scheib)
New Flow Master Exhaust $800.00
Trunk $100.00
New Interior $900.00
Shelby wood steering wheel $280.00
Custom Auto stereo w/Changer $800.00

So for close to $30,000.00 not counting the car you get a GT/CS that looks very original on the outside, a big time head turner, and also launches 460HP at the rearend. (oh yes, the kids college fund is still intact)..............Bluto ;D 8)

nfrntau
03/22/2005, 06:56 AM
Here are my restoration costs to date.
I also have spreadsheets that have broken my stuff into two categories: the need and the wish list. The wish list will push this number up to about 27,000 and the need list puts me right around 20,000 which seems to be the magic number.
Bluto seems to have raised the average just a tad. lol
I admit it, I'm envious of all you guys who have completed your projects.

Books Referrence Material$61.74
Brake System$0.00
Car and Shipping$6,440.00
Documentation/Registration$189.00
Electrical System$243.80
Engine Compartment$41.98
Exhaust System$0.00
Exterior $308.85
Fuel System$108.90
Interior $114.22
Paint and Body$0.00
Rear End $0.00
Rust Removal$2,072.27
Supplies $169.19
Suspension$309.90
Tools $63.29
Trunk Area$29.70
Wheels and Tires$1,358.63

For a grand total so far of $11,511.47
I expect this number to change drastically by the time I'm finished. I expect to end up somewhere between the wish and need price when finished.

rvrtrash
03/22/2005, 08:52 AM
Oh man, I want a Paxton too, but I have the small cc "F" heads and 10.0/1 compression. I think I goofed.
Steve

hcsstang
03/22/2005, 02:39 PM
;D The only think that I can say it's a lot of fun. If you can't have some fun what good is it. :o