• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

replacing trunk stripe

390cs68rcode

I have bought a new trunk stripe since the PO put the stripe on a little too low.

There has to be a "correct" technique to putting the stripe on without screwing it up in the process.

anyone?

Mosesatm

Jason, here is the text from a discussion a few weeks ago. Paul explaining how to install the side stripes. The rear stripes go on the same way.

.......I did put our stripe kit on. It is not that hard to do. Just in case you want to try it, here is my recommendations.

First, get the instructions from Paul's book. It tells you exactly how the stripe goes on and measurements.

Next, clean the area very well. Use a good masking tape (painter type - green) to get a straight line. If you are putting on the side stripes, I used a chaulk line to get the line straight, then added the green tape over chaulk line.

Get a spray bottle of soap water and spray onto surface with a generous amount. Peel the backing of the stripe and ensuring that the surface is wet, put on the stripe. Make sure you plenty of overlap around doors and fenders to tuck into. If the surface is wet enough with soapy water, you will be able to move the stripe around and into position.

Once there use something like a body putty spreader to start working out the bubbles. Then, slowly peal off the outside tape. The only thing to be real careful here is to make sure the thin stripes don't move as you peel outsdie tape off. Move slowly. You have plenty of time. Use the spreader to continually work out bubbles and make sure the stripe is sticking to the car. If the stripe is not sticking, it is probably to wet. Wait just a second and try again. The soap and water will eventally allow the stripe to stick very well.

Lastly, continue to work out bubbles with spreader.

Hope this helps.

Paul

PFSlim

That is correct. Not hard to do, but alittle harder than the side stripe. The reason is that the smaller of the two stripes wants to drift alittle as you apply it. Knowing this, don't apply so much soapy water to the deck lid and take your time.

Make sure you do the rear fender extensions first. They are the hardest and will tell you where you need to line up the deck lid stripe.

If I can help more, please ask.

Paul

hookedtrout

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1478;start=0#msg8672 date=1111161402]
just want to confirm putting soapy water on the trunk and when it dries the stripe will stick to the car.
[/quote]

Sounds pretty crazy but that is the case. Kind of like installing window tint.

Hook

PFSlim

Mix just a little soapy water in a spray bottle. The soapy water will allow you to move the stripe around and in place. Make sure you let it dry alittle before you remove the outside sticker coating. If to early, stripe will move on you. Pay attention to airbubbles. Work those out as soon as possible.

Good Luck!!!

Paul