• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Daily Drivers

Mustanger

I was wondering about CS owners that drive their cars on a daily basis. Any pro's and con's? What do you guys do for car insurance?
Any advice would be helpful with understanding the potential in a vintage mustang as a daily driver.
Thanks ...

davidathans

I've driven my car as a daily driver since i was 16 and now im 20.

Pro's

Self Confidence way up
Enough power to put the car where you want
Thumbs up from people
Chicks turn their heads
Great sounding stereo
Sound of a beast

Con's

8 miles per gallon
check the oil every day
check the tire pressure
not a freeway car
can get sweaty on a hot day
gas is expensive

Overall i'd say i love this car as my daily driver except for the cost of gas and getting stuck in traffic on an extremely hot day.

-David

lilredcobra

during the summer i drive my california special on a daily basis as much as i can. the biggest drawback is the poor gas mileage with the rising cost of gasoline. also, it does not have air conditioning and the vinyl seats create a sweat situation that is not good if you are going someplace formal. I insure my car through Haggerty Insurance and so far they have been good but I have never filed a claim so I don't know how well they do in that situation even though they guarantee a flat-bed service. Happy motoring

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=1489;start=0#msg8786 date=1111522531]
I was wondering about CS owners that drive their cars on a daily basis. Any pro's and con's? What do you guys do for car insurance?
Any advice would be helpful with understanding the potential in a vintage mustang as a daily driver.
Thanks ...

[/quote]

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

I know V8's of old aren't known for being economical, but I've heard of old V8 Mustangs, driven conservatively, with stock gearing (3.00:1) and maybe a 4 speed, being able to acheive 20+ mpg... in fact, recently I read of a Shelby ('67 0r '68?) with 3.00:1 gears and a 4 speed getting 23 mpg on the highway ... pretty good for not only V8 but an old V8 :D

Just think if you were to put a 5 speed or an AOD in, the mpg should only get better ... ;D

Mosesatm

My GT/CS had a 289 2V and 4-speed with 2.79 gears. On a trip from Washington to Missouri it averaged over 23 mpg so it is certainly possible. Fuel injection would probably help.