• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Little Red's Sister Car

Mustanger

We have heard of the Shelby design and influence on the CS and HCS cars, especially through Little Red and The Green Hornet, but did any of you know that Little Red had a sister car? "This car (complete with Terlingua Racing decals) was the sister car to the infamous "Little Red." " Check it out for yourselves:

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/articles/i910252.htm

Interesting, huh? ;)

quicknick

Thats a Mexican Shelby. My brother-in-laws best friend, who lives in Laredo Texas owns a 69. I had a chance to ride in it last time I was down there. Interesting car with an unusual history. He purchased it at auction back in 1985 from the local Federalies who seized it in a drug bust. His is white with a black top.
I beg him to sell it to me every time I go down there.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Here's parts of the interesting text:

"Since the notchback body style could not use the same fiberglass body parts installed on their American cousins, and the import of fiberglass body parts like hoods, deck lids, and quarter panel extensions was not allowed into Mexico, Shelby de Mexico had to manufacture its own body parts. Interestingly, the 169 cars built in 1967, and the 203 units built in 1968 resembled "California Specials" in appearance."

Here's another reference to Little Red:

"When the first Shelby de Mexico was debuted in 1967, it bore a strange resemblance to another Shelby creation known as "Little Red." In truth that first Shelby de Mexico was constructed in L.A. at Shelby American as the Mexican export prototype, and was built right alongside that now long-departed, historical red coupe."

Some of the pic's are cool to see also... 8)

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

... it looks like maybe Paul is considering mentioning these "Shelby de Mexico" in his next book. In one of his latest posts he writes:

What if I included a listing of:

1. VINs of GT/CS or HCS "clones",
2. Built up / modified CS Convertibles
3. Copies of Little Red and Green Hornet
4. any of the '67 Coupe "Shelby de Mexicos" (that look like the Little Red)?

Kinda interesting history, especially since the first "Shelby de Mexico" was built next to Little Red.