• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gasoline Backsplash

Mustanglvr

Does anybody have problems with backsplash when pumping gas into your GT/CS? I can position the nozzle any which way and it still tends to splash back and spill on the ground. The best way I`ve found is to put the nozzle in upside down, halfway in and release the fuel slowly. This really tends to be irritating. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

:)Rhonda

case12

Rhonda, I have this problem with my 68 and 66. I dont have an easy answer. I put my ear near the neck of the gas opening and listen for the bubbling (no kidding) and stop the gas then. I figure its better not to have a completely full tank, than to have gas all over the back of the car and me. If someone else has a better method, I would sure be interested too. Casey

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

It happens every time I put gas in, even when its empty. I figure it must be something to do with the bend in the pipe leading to the tank. Just wondered if it was a common problem.
Rhonda

hookedtrout

Mine too :( same thing on my Jeep Wrangler as well.

Guess I've just learned to accept it over the years.

Hook

P

PNewitt

Sometime about 15 years ago, gas station chains had the infinite wisdom to speed up the flow of gas to get more cars per hour ($$) filled up and out of the station, for the next car.

New cars can do this, because of how the tube from the cap is designed--but Mustangs, Mavericks, Pintos, Torinos, etc., all have this problem.

You also have to be careful to not scratch the fiberglas with the nozzle, on the sides of the taillight "bulge" next to the gas cap. And--don't scratch the top of the bumper with the pop-off cap hitting it.

Paul N.

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thanks for the advice Paul. Thanks for the input everybody. I guess I`ll just have to tolerate it .

Rhonda

Talan423

i tend to pump the gas at a much slower pace than i do say my explorer. i would rather take a couple extra minutes waiting, than an hour of cleaning gas off of my car. i also watch the number of gallons that is displayed on the pump. i know that i have a 16 gallon tank and can estimated when i'm getting near full. i carry a thick rag in my trunk and place it over the bumper where the gas cap will make contact with the bumper and can rest on it without scratching. this will also help to catch some of the gas if dripped on it. after a couple of times spending hours cleaning gas off of my car due to it shooting out of the filler neck, i am much more careful and patient about filling the tank.

tom

hookedtrout

Good ideas Tom, the extra time would offer more visiting time with all the onlookers as well. ;D

Hook

hcsstang

:DI went to Lowe's and got a flexible hose and I keep it in the trunk and use that. I know how much gas that it takes and that's it . I keep the hose under the filler board in the trunk. :p

Talan423

the filler board is the piece of thick "cardboard" or "fiberboard" that sits on the left side of the trunk compartment that would prevent small items from falling down into the left rear quarter panel. the trunk mat would then go on top of that. it is listed in the NPD catalog for $4.50.

tom