• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Troubleshooting

Mustanglvr

Hi Guys,
I need a little help troubleshooting a problem with my GT/CS. It has a 289 4v and it has been running really rough. I had the points and rotor replaced in it last summer and it ran great for 3 months till I ran it a little warm in a local parade. A few days after the parade it started running rough. Now, 6 months later several mechanics I know tell me it needs new points again along with a condenser. I replaced those today and it still runs like its missing a little and lurches forward when I give it just a little gas. It acts like it really wants to go. Does the lurching it does sound like, carburator problems, air fuel mixture or timing? It was a newly rebuilt engine when I got it a year ago and I was told after 500 or so miles it might need to be retimed. I think I`ll have a friend check the plugs and wires but they were new and I don`t figure thats the problem. I noticed that the oil pressure gauge fluctuates toward High most of the time. Is that normal? Before when it was running good it stayed right between Low and High. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rhonda

hookedtrout

I wouldn't overlook the plugs or the wires even though they were new. If you fouled a plug it could create the problems. Not sure how the choke on your carb is set up but I'd check to make sure it is adjusted right as well. My 2 barrell has a choke that just twists around and if it isn't set right it runs rough. As for fuel to air mix it is also possible.

Hook

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Oh yeah, I remember I changed the fuel filter right after it started running rough but it did`nt change a thing. I will check the other stuff though. Thank you Gentlemen.
:) Rhonda