• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Exhaust

hookedtrout

Made an appointment for exhaust work, anyone have a recomendation on the Flowmasters? He said they have 3-4 different types and he said the original muscle type flowmaster was the best buy so I guess I'll go that way unless someone has some advice. :-\

Hook

Talan423

hook- i went with the flowmaster "delta flow", doesn't give you as much rumble inside your vehicle but still gives a nice sound on the outside. so far i'm happy with them.

tom

rvrtrash

I went with Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers into 2.5" exhaust into Flow Master 40's. Loud at idle (in fact the neighbors have complained ;D) but has a pleasant hum at highway speeds.
Steve

68gt390

Hook;
I'm running the Delta Flow 40 series on the CS and my GT. Sounds really good. Doesn't give you a headache after a few hours of driving. Still has a deep throaty sound outside.

Don

68MustangHCS

I wonder what sized pipes would be best.

Can anyone explain how an exhaust system is put together?

For example if you have 2 1/2 exhaust inlets on your mufflers, would all over you pipes be 2 1/2 too or are the pipe ends stretched to fit the inlets on the mufflers?

68gt390

[quote author=68MustangHCS link=board=1;threadid=1568;start=0#msg9464 date=1113337524]
I wonder what sized pipes would be best.

Can anyone explain how an exhaust system is put together?

For example if you have 2 1/2 exhaust inlets on your mufflers, would all over you pipes be 2 1/2 too or are the pipe ends stretched to fit the inlets on the mufflers?
[/quote]

Myself, I prefer to get the factory pipe off the car. Most factory applications (even the pipes on my CS and GT) were 2" or 2.1/4" (really chokes a big block) so I replaced it with 2.1/2" pipes when I put my Flowmasters on. In order to get the muffler inlet and outlet pieces to fit, they simply use an expander to spread the end of the pipe going into and out of the muffler. I would of liked to use 3" but, on most older mustangs the rearend section (over the top) really causes a problem along with the gas tank. Creates a lot of crimping in the 3" pipe even if you try and custom make several different pieces, just don't have enough room to work the bends in the pipe. If you prefer to stay with 2" pipe and add Flowmaster mufflers they can simply add a section of pipe that expands from 2" to 2.1/2" to fit the inlet and outlet section of the mufflers. Your actually better off to just replace the whole system and go with 2.1/2" pipe (better exhaust flow). Hope this helps.

Don :D

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Well so far my list has settled on 2 1/2 inch pipe and Deltaflow Flowmasters.

Should go in on the 26th for the exhaust work. The insurance kicks in this Thursday so I can take it for a little cruise...at least further than around my house. ;D

So Paul, are you planning that little get together in Colorado Springs or West Yellowstone, Montana? Sure are some beautiful photo ops in Yellowstone and Colorado for that matter. ;) I'm getting things together so I can be there, 08 sounds good don't you think 40 year anniversary get together. Can't wait. 8)

Hook

68MustangHCS

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1568;start=0#msg9474 date=1113349821]
get together in Colorado Springs or West Yellowstone, Montana? Sure are some beautiful photo ops in Yellowstone and Colorado for that matter. ;) I'm getting things together so I can be there, 08 sounds good don't you think 40 year anniversary get together. Can't wait. 8)

Hook
[/quote]

I'm for another Yellowstone Trip...I love that park and the Grand Tetons. My son and I drove out to Seattle 3 summers ago and it was an excellent trip! Maybe the anniversary get together should be somewhere in the middle of the US, like St. Louis...they have the Bud brewerey there, and a really super cool Car museum, and camping too! Just a thought...

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

They host a car show/rod run in June in Jackson Hole Wyoming just South of Grand Teton NP and a car show/rod run in West Yellowstone in August. Might be fun if we were ever to do a get together in the Yellowstone/Teton area to try and time it for one of the shows then we could take in the show as well as make a little GT/CS impression. ;) Sure would be impressive to see a line up of GT/CS cars in all the various colors cruising through Yellowstone NP. 8)

Hook