• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Turn Signals

hookedtrout

Went out and played with the car a little today and I was correct in that my turn signals aren't working. :'( I have hazard light at all 4 corners, headlights, and brake lights. Any suggestions on where to look first? ???

Hook

68gt390

Hook;
I would start with the turn signal switch in the steering column first. If that doesn't have a broken wire then you may have to start tracing the wiring down. Sometimes, the plastic piece inside the column will break or a wire may have come off. It could just be a fuse to.

Don

68sunlitgold

Hooked,
I would agree with Don, it sounds like the turn signal switch is bad.

Doug

rvrtrash

I think I would start with the flasher unit. Power goes through it before it gets to the switch. If it's stuck open, or the connection is loose or corroded, you'll never get power to the switch. Make sure you have power on both sides or just switch it with the emergency flasher since it's working and see if the problem moves. I'm guessing you already checked your fuses.
Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

The only thing I have done thus far and I should have mentioned this, is turn on the key and try the signals to no avail, then I tried all the other lights to make sure that was the only issue I had. I'm glad you suggest starting at the simple things like fuses and flasher unit. I was hoping that everyone else had assumed I checked these first and was jumping to tearing apart the steering column based on that assumption.

If there's one aspect of vehicles I hate it's the electical. I'll trudge through it but it rates low on my list of favorites.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start with the fuses and then the flasher unit and if all else fails I'll tear the steering column apart looking for the switch, right after I come back here and get the low down on how to do that as I have no idea and I won't ever venture there without assistance again.

The last steering column I took apart didn't go so well. 94 F150 to change out the auto gear shift that hosts the overdrive switch that had quit working. My ignition switch now has issues...I couldn't figure out any way to get the cover off the column without taking off the chrome thumb twist thing for the ignition switch and I couldn't figure out how to get it off so I resorted to the pry method, not a good idea :eek: It's on there now but it hangs loose and really doesn't help a whole lot and no matter what I do now the little buzzer/beeper thing beeps when the door is open no matter if the key is in the ignition or not. ::)

Hook

68 special

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the switch. It's easier to replace than it looks. the hardest part was getting the old pins out of the plugin. First you remove the old switch by removing the screws in the column and cutting off the plugin, leaving about 2"-3" of wire sticking out. Pull the switch out and install the new one feeding the wires through the column. I inserted a small 1/8" or smaller screwdriver into the plug opposite of the wire, just enough to release the tab that holds the pin in. pull out the old wire and insert the new wire. Do this one at a time so you can replace red with red, green with green, etc. Hope this helps and good luck.

rvrtrash

68Special, welcome to the group, if you haven't been welcomed already. It's good to see another car from the Northwest here. Hook, before you start cutting wires, I have a pin extraction tool, steering wheel puller and some basic electrical knowledge and know of a way you could have the car looked at and maybe fixed real cheap if you're willing to wait till June. ;D
Steve

CJ

Hook

I just sent you an email with two attachments from Chilton repair and tune-up guide for 1965 - 1973 Mustangs. These attachments are for the removal of the steering wheel, turn signal switch and replacement of same. If you have any problem with the attachments I will send them to you in another format.

I hope this helps.

Claude

PFSlim

Hook

Before you tear into the steering wheel, just make sure the steering wheel to underdash harness is plugged in. It is attached to the steering and is a pretty large plug.

Paul

P

PNewitt

You might look into replacing just the plastic turn signal piece (made of white plastic) that mounts in the middle of the whole TS assembly with a screw. I'm not sure if it's a pre-68-only item or not. Maybe someone else here has done this.

At least you son't have a tilt wheel like I do. It's a whole 'nuther story....

Paul N.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Good information, I was digging around today putting in the new flasher unit that did no good and noticed there are a couple of dead end wires under there. One goes to the cigarette lighter which has some issues I'll bring up at another time, but there was also a double plug that isn't plugged in. Didn't see any big stuff unplugged but I'll check. I did take the pad off the steering wheel and that looks like job so immediately put it back on. :eek: Scared me looking in there, lots of screws and little pieces.

Hook