• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Banner work day!

rjw

Well, since I have a show coming up in less than two weeks, it was good to get in a solid workday today. Consider this, the engine was steam cleaned, side scoop grilles were affixed, deck lid weatherstripping installed--all in one day! The previous owner had painted over one of the grilles in place, so removal of the old one made this a little interesting. It sure helps to have a good friend to help with these little tasks!

StraightSix

rjw,

Out of curiosity, did you apply the black vinyl inserts behind the grilles? If so, what material did you use? Tom Elledge (you may have seen some of his posts on this site, or his letter in the most recent issue of Mustang Monthly) sent me some of the stuff he's using. It appears to be extra-wide (like 2 inches) electrical tape. I think he told me exactly what it was in an email... I'll have to dig it up.

-Winston

OP
OP
rjw

rjw

Yes, I did apply the black insert--appears to be black vinyl (almost like contact paper.) I was fortunate in that the previous owner had procured a replacement set from Paul Newlitt, I believe. The kit included the two stainless steel grilles, the two stickers and even the four rivets. The grilles had to be modified slightly (I highly recommend a bench grinder as well as patience) and the black inserts had to be slightly trimmed. We had to use a dremel tool to release the old rivets on the one grille that had been left on and painted over (Go figure.) But the look is outstanding! As for pictures, well, that thumbnail next to my name is one...I'll try to add more soon.