• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Dealer GT/CS???

Mustanger

Interesting conversation I had the other day, I spoke to a Mustang dealer inquiring whether he currently had any GT/CSs for sale. He said, "No, but I can make you one, ... car dealers used to do that back then, since a CS was some plastic added to the car." I explained in our conversation that I wasn't interested in a CS clone, but he insisted that there were some "dealer GT/CSs" made much like there were "dealer Mustang GTs" in the earlier years.

Does anyone know if this is true? My first impression is no - since in 1968 California Ford dealers were finding it challenging to sell the cars they had from the factory.

So does anybody know of documentation indicating this is true, or maybe some anecdotal account ???, ... or maybe this guy was only pulling my leg so he could sell me a car :mad:!!!

rvrtrash

I can't imagine a dealer spending the extra money to order all the parts and then paying a couple of his body shop guys to tear the car apart and install the CS parts, when he could just order one from the factory all done. Changing the wiring harness alone would cost a ton in labor. I think the guy was yanking your chain.
Steve

case12

Doesnt make sense to me either. All the fiberglass parts were readily available to the aftermarket to put on any mustang (scoops, trunk deck, etc) as shown in Motorcade May 1968 magazine article on the GT/CS and Wild World of Mustangs. However, the tail lights would be quite difficult with all the cutouts and unique steel covers. Then the hood pins, stripe kits and scripts would all have to be found and installed. Seems unlikely a dealer would have done ALL of this when there were GT/CS cars sitting on lots hard to sell at the time. Casey

P

PNewitt

I'm not sure what you mean by "Mustang Dealer"??? Do you mean a Ford dealer, or a Mustang parts shop?

Since it says that you're from So. Cal., I know of 60's cars that dealers would dress up, or ('65'-'67) paint in a choice of "rainbow colors". They also put stuff on Galaxies, like the glass headlight covers, sunroofs, those gawd-awful flower power vinyl tops on Mustangs, Fairlanes and Cougars, etc...

In all my years, and in discussions with Lee Grey (So. Cal. district mgr.)--I have never heard of, or know of a dealer-made CS. Besides--a lot of these cars sat on Ford dealer lots for 3-9 months before they were sold (seen on Marti reports).

Paul N.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1602;start=0#msg9690 date=1114038569]
I'm not sure what you mean by "Mustang Dealer"??? Do you mean a Ford dealer, or a Mustang parts shop?

Since it says that you're from So. Cal., I know of 60's cars that dealers would dress up, or ('65'-'67) paint in a choice of "rainbow colors". They also put stuff on Galaxies, like the glass headlight covers, sunroofs, those gawd-awful flower power vinyl tops on Mustangs, Fairlanes and Cougars, etc...

In all my years, and in discussions with Lee Grey (So. Cal. district mgr.)--I have never heard of, or know of a dealer-made CS. Besides--a lot of these cars sat on Ford dealer lots for 3-9 months before they were sold (seen on Marti reports).

Paul N.
[/quote]

By Mustang dealer I mean a business that restores and sells vintage Mustangs (http://www.mustangsonly.com/).
The owner of this business made the claim that some dealers made these conversions, but (I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt) maybe he meant to '68 Mustang convertibles???
I've seen GT/CS clones with a conv configuration, but the owners never claimed that they were factory or dealer modified.
Either this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or is not being very honest.

Thanks for all your inputs :)

007bluto

The guy at Mustang's Only is smoking his lunch. Awhile back he was selling a convertable Cal Special, claiming it was real, that it was done by a dealer and originally sold as a genuine Cal Special. I have been to his shop, seen his cars and listened to his sales pitch,(story BS BS BS BS BS BLA BLA BLA)!!!!!!!!! call me when the Space Shuttel start flying again so that we can bring this guy back to earth. He's just looking for some unsuspecting soals!!!! Bluto :mad: ;D