• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Automatic Choke Problem...

jc68gtcs

This is probably a simple one for you guys, so any suggestions would be great.

When starting my cs, when I attempt to set the choke by putting the accelerator to the floor, the choke is slow to react. If I hold it for several seconds, it will finally attempt to slowly close the butterfly on the carb, but it never closes completely and my car simply won't start cold unless it's completely choked.

I don't know much about this type of choke, so like anyone with little knowledge and a can of carb cleaner, I sprayed the crap out of the linkage and while it did help it's not much better.. HELP, I have to open the hood to start my car!!

rvrtrash

If you take off the outer half of the choke (the black part that may have a tube from the exhaust manifold screwed to it) you will see a lever on the inside. Carefully remove the screw in the center and pivot the lever out of the way. Does the choke move freely now? If not, try and clean/lube the center shaft where it comes into the center of the back half. Once the choke plate is moving easily, slowly lift out the lever you pivoted earlier. It is connected to a piston in the bore in the front of the housing. Clean the piston once it's out and use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean the bore. The piston should move easily once it's reinstalled. Once you have everything back together, and the choke plate set correctly, you should have no trouble with it. Hope this helps you.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=jc68gtcs link=board=1;threadid=1622;start=0#msg9887 date=1114651381]
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Steve
[/quote]

Sounds like something I need to do as well. Mine starts cold but the choke isn't reacting like it used to. I need to lure that Steve guy a little further south than the white water float we have planned this summer and then take advantage of him while he's here. Still no turn signals but then I been out wheeling the Jeep and chuck hunting to much lately to work on the car.

Had so much snow and mud in my Jeep from yesterdays outing I had to clean the inside out twice, once before cleaning the outside and then again after. Should have left the top on I guess. ::) No...it was worth every minute of it. ;D

Hook

rvrtrash

[quote author=hookedtrout

Sounds like something I need to do as well. Mine starts cold but the choke isn't reacting like it used to. I need to lure that Steve guy a little further south than the white water float we have planned this summer and then take advantage of him while he's here.

Or here's an idea. Bring it up here for a weekend so I don't have to pack all my stuff down there. The beer tastes just as good up north. :)
Steve

hookedtrout

Now that's an idea, we actually thought about a Northern Idaho vacation and I was trying to talk the wife into doing it this year, in fact I wanted to just head North from Lowell after the rafting for a week or so but she seems to think she has to many projects on the house this year and doesn't want to do any week long vacations just weekends and close to home stuff. So maybe next year our vacation will be up that way. Can't say I'll have the car with however. If it would fit in my new Toy Hauler I'd bring it but I'm afraid I'd take out all the lower cabinets if I pulled it in. :eek:

Hook

rvrtrash

Tell her "It's for the children" and you want to go to Silverwood/Boulder Beach and then maybe water skiing or parasailing on Lake Couer d'Alene. Go see the big cats at Cat Tails over in Spokane. Quality time with the family, you know! Cabinets? We don't need no stinkin' cabinets!
Steve

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

Man, I'm glad I could bring you two together like this.. HA!
Thanks again Steve..

Still no turn signals but then I been out wheeling the Jeep and chuck hunting to much lately to work on the car.

Hey Hook, I've gotta know and this may sound stupid, but what the __ck is chuck hunting??

hookedtrout

It's ripping off the top on the Jeep, loading up your varmint rifle and heading North onto the Idaho high desert hunting Rock Chucks for an afternoon of fun in the sun. Matter of fact I should be there again this weekend. ;D

Now...if asked to define Rock Chucks it's like I tell everyone. Personally I think all Chucks are the same it all just depends if you see them on a rock, wood, or what ever. If you see one on wood you can assume it's a Wood Chuck...at least for the moment. ::)

And if we have any activists among us...well I won't go there. :-X

Hook

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1622;start=0#msg10330 date=1115730751]
I'm certainly not an activist but IMHO that's pathetic.
[/quote]

Kind of surprising coming from Texas but then you're probably a city kind of guy. Good thing were all entitled to our own opinions, at least that's my opinion. ;D

Hook

hookedtrout

Think of Rock Chucks as big Rats, lots and lots of big rats, and yes they are "Pathetic." Think of the high desert as our house. Well our house is infested with big rats (Chucks). They are disease infested, flea carrying varmints that will destroy a crop of Wheat, Barley or Hay if not held in check. We're just doing our part to keep them in check. We hunt them legally and we hunt them at the recomendation of both Farmers and IDFG. The question isn't what they do to deserve being hunted, that list is long, the questions is what possible purpose do they serve for the betterment of the world and I haven't found a single item for the list short of a weekend adventure for those of us raised in the Wild West.

Nuf about that!

Hook

Mustanglvr

Ok, ok I did`nt want to open up a can of worms. I understand your point. I guess I have the attitude that we are invading their territory. I love animals and I guess I think people should hunt for food not for sport, but to each his own. I shot a skunk once and felt very justified in doing so. Also, I am a firm believer that if it takes going out on a fun chuck hunt with the kids for a bonding experience than so be it. Rhonda

hookedtrout

It's OK, I love animals as well. Mice, Rats and the likes just aren't on the list. I couldn't go rabbit hunting unless it was the only thing out there and I was dang hungry (starving), no way I could shoot a little chipmunk, can't shoot birds of any kind, tried once to shoot some sage hens but me and shotguns...well, the sage hens lived for another day. Not some mindless redneck, I'm just a country boy raised in country ways and I wouldn't have it any other way, balance is a good thing.

Hook

nfrntau

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Answer... None when Hook gets finished with them!
Tear em up Hook, sound like fun to me!

One thing activists never mention is that these critters duck and hide. I prefer to think of it as your helping improve the quality of Chucks. When you help out as you are, only the smart ones are surviving and reproducing.

Mosesatm

Hook, I apologize for calling your activity pathetic. I didn't realize you were on rodent patrol since your post read to me like you were going to go out and just blast some harmless animals or no other reason than amusement. And no I am not a city kind of guy. I grew up in the high desert in Eastern Washington. No cities there just sagebrush, apples, and rattlesnakes.

meadowsdk28

Besides, Chuck is delicious :D well, wood chuck anyway in a crock pot with potatoes, carrots and celery in a savory BBQ sauce. They burrow around here.

Sooooo??????

Rhonda, haven't you ever went to the store and picked up a couple of "ground chuck" steaks!?! Arrrrhhh. Oh, I kill me! Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. ;D

Seriously, that crock pot thing? Kid you not. That's really good. Got it from when I lived in Colorado and this one ol' boy used to eat prairie dog. I thought that might just have been the sickest thing I had heard of until I tried it. Man that was awesome.

rvrtrash

Hey Arlie, do you remember the bounty that Washington Fish and Game used to put on coyotes and rattlesnakes? Pretty much the same thing here. As you know, not all critters are cuddly, cute and harmless. People that don't live out here sometimes don't understand. One of the problems we have up here is cougars dragging off peoples house pets. I guess they find fat poodle pretty appetizing.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1622;start=15#msg10349 date=1115744183]
Hook, I apologize for calling your activity pathetic. I didn't realize you were on rodent patrol since your post read to me like you were going to go out and just blast some harmless animals or no other reason than amusement. And no I am not a city kind of guy. I grew up in the high desert in Eastern Washington. No cities there just sagebrush, apples, and rattlesnakes.
[/quote]

Accepted Moses. ;D

Hook