View Full Version : Newbie Help on CS Purchase

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Everyone!
I've been checking out the site and it is great.

I've been a Mustang fan since I was growing up in the 60's. I currently own a mint condition 1996 GT Convertible with under 30,000 miles on it but my dream is to someday own a classic.

I'm just starting to learn gather info about the GT/CS. I had some knowledge before but I my friend's Dad is considering selling his GT/CS and while a fastback was what I always thought I would get, this car has really caught my eye.

My question is ... can I get some advice on what to look for before purchasing? I've researched here and other sites the basics (R-code for San Jose) but any recommendations on what to look for or ask for would be great!

I wasn't planning on doing anything right now but this seems like a good opportunity and something I would consider giving up my 96 for.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Mosesatm
04/26/2005, 09:58 AM
If you want to see if it is authentic the first things I look for are:

Side scoops - the edges should not be flush as they roll into the screened area. In other words there is a little lip on the front edges. The lip can get sanded down and painted over so this is not a foolproof method of identifying a fake but it is a good method of identifying a real GT/CS. As far as I know there are no reproduction scoops on the market with this feature.

Metal taillight covers inside the trunk. Another extremely difficult item to purchase or make.

Also in the trunk are a couple cheap looking foam strips on the underside of the deck lid. This usually gets removed and never replaced.

No running horse emblems anywhere.

On the quarter panel script the "S" in the Special should line up with the "I" in the California.

There are a number of other clues but those are the ones I look for right away.

Hope it helps

Paul Newitt's books list all the GT/CS details.

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm awaiting the VIN# and have not seen the car in person yet only pics that were sent to me.

From what I can tell from the pics the scoops seem to have the lip you referenced.

I haven't seen the trunk yet to verify the taillights or foam.

The only running horse emblems I see is the gas cap which seems to be legit.

As for the quarter panel script. You noted "the quarter panel script the "S" in the Special should line up with the "I" in the California."

This kind of caught my eye because on the driver's side it does match what you said but I thought the passenger side looked odd. On the pass side the "Special" is actually starts before the California above it. I notice another car on this site in the gallery that was like that also.
My thought was that it was replaced at sometime or the quarter panel replaced and it was put back wrong. Could it have been an honest mistake?

The driver side lines up with the last "I" in California not the first. Is that the correct "I"? On the passenger side the "L" in Special seems to line up with the 1st "I" or "F" in Cali.

From what I know so far the current owner has had it for many years and restored or replaced the parts and had it professionaly painted. The current color is Blue but originally was green I believe - will verify with the VIN.

It has a 302 with 3-speed and black interior.

A/C was installed but not sure that's it working right now.

It has GT hubcaps - were they original?

I believe the owner has the original owner's manual and other docs. Anxious to get all the info.

Thanks again!!
Rich

Mosesatm
04/26/2005, 01:15 PM
Both sides should look the same. The "S" should line up with the 2nd "I".

The best way to find out if it's real is to get a Marti report. There is usually a link somewhere this site's home page to order the report.

There have been some entertaining discussions on this board about whether or not the GT hub caps are correct. I'll let others deal with that issue or you can look at the old posts (around a month ago).

Since you don't have access to the car but have pictures you might want to post the pictures here and have the board members take a look at them. They are very good at finding the red flags.

BTW, what sort of heathen repaints a green car blue?!! I sure hope it wasn't originally Highland Green or someone will be answering to Rhonda and me. ;D

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:37 PM
Hi Again!

I inquired if the owner has a Marti Report or not.
I haven't talked to him directly. I'm friends with his son, we work together. That's how I found out about the car. He is going to get me the info from his Dad that I asked for such as VIN, mileage, condition and documentation, etc.
The car is local enough that if I pursue it I can see it and drive it prior to purchasing it.

I will try to cut down the size of pics and post them here.
I'll search for more info on the hubcaps too. Thanks!

Rich

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:38 PM
rear view

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:42 PM
left rear

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:44 PM
right rear

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:45 PM
engine

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 01:47 PM
interior ... this is the last one.
Thanks to all for taking the time to look!!!

If this is a good opportunity I don't want to pass it up.

Any help from the experts here would be helpful.

I cut down the size of the pics to be able to post them but I think you can see enough detail. If someone is really really bored I can email you the full size pics. 8)

Rich

Mosesatm
04/26/2005, 02:17 PM
That passenger side script is definitely funky. That in itself is not really a crisis but you may want to ask a few more questions of the owner to find out why it is installed backwards. Was the quarter replaced? If so, why? A blatant error like that would kick most of us into full bown find-the-fake mode. The script being wrong is also a good reason to get the Marti report. The report is extremely cheap insurance when you consider the amount of money you will spend on the car. Who knows, maybe the body shop just didn't know how to replace the script when they did the color change.

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah I knew it looked weird to me too.
I was going to ask him about itl - We'll see what he says.

I really feel I can trust that he's telling me what he has done to the car since he has owned it - but don't know how much history he has on it. As far as I know it was a CS when his Dad got it.

I definitley will get a Marti report too.

I'll post additional info as I get it. Thanks for your time!

case12
04/26/2005, 03:32 PM
A couple of other interesting things to ask about. Does it have the GT option (which would show up in a Marti Report). I would guess not, as it does not have the dual exhaust valance. So, the hub caps are likely add ons (they should be plain, not with GT - not to worry, mine came that way too and I changed mine out to plain). The antenna base is rectangular - there have been lots of discussion on this - but most seem to be round. The rear side light markers imply the vehicle being built later, rather than earlier (so build date should at least be Feb or later). The fog lights dont appear to be on pedestals, as the Lucas lights should be. They could be Marchial, but hard to tell in this picture. I would try to find out which ones they are. The outside edges of the tail light chrome trim appear to be black in this picture - they should be chrome - meaning these were probably replaced at one time as well. Also, looks like aftermarket AC? If the Marti Report (for $17) says it has the GT/CS option and you can get it for a good price, it definitely has potential. Moses question on the script is the biggie to get answered. Casey

390cs68rcode
04/26/2005, 05:16 PM
it does have the smog stuff which is a plus.

Mosesatm
04/26/2005, 06:27 PM
I lightened the photo of the front of the car and the foglights are sitting on posts but I can't tell how tall they are. Make sure the foglights say "Lucas" on them.

With Casey's eagle-eyed catch on the taillight bezels my guess is that the entire rear of the has been punched. Why else would the script be wrong and the taillights have come from a T-bird? Take a good look inside the trunk for the correct parts (tail light covers and wiring harness) and for repaired damage. Look for spot welds on the seams where the panels overlap. Spot welds are good full welds are bad. Also look down inside the rear wells and get your hand down there and feel around for welds or overlapping panels. Just be careful, it's easy to slice a finger open on a jagged weld.

If you don't want to post a ton of pictures here go ahead and send some to me and I'll look them over.

Get a good picture of the scoops, the underside of the trunk lid, and the grille. The grille should not have any attachment holes for the normal '67 or '68 running horse. People try to use a '67 grille because it is less obvious but it's still pretty easy to spot. There should also be large brackets sticking out of the grille behind the foglights.

One other thing, see if the scoops have a couple fairly ugly screw heads in them just behind the doors.

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Everyone!
Thank you so much!!! This is great info!

The foglights do appear to be on posts. I am posting a pic I didn't post earlier full shot and also cropped with a close up of the fog light section.

I did notice the black around the tail light after comparing to pics on this site and assumed it was aftermarket. I never put together with the script being mounted wrong. Great point! I only found one picture on this site with a car that was mounted the same way.

It's tough, as I'm sure you know to fully judge condition without seeing it in person but before wasting my time and the owners I wanted to do some legwork first.

I think the price he gave me is reasonable if it is a legit CS but again without seeing it the pics are all I have to go off of and my friend's assesment as far as condition.

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 06:59 PM
here's the other pic.

I had 2 other questions (sorry :-\ )

1. I had always thought I would buy a classic in automatic if possible since I felt the clutch was just one more thing that can go wrong. Anyone have thoughts on auto vs manual in a classic? I can drive manual so that's not an issue.

2. This one is a bit of an oddball question and kind of embarrasing but I need to ask. :-[
I'm a big guy and was curious if anyone knew the distance from the bottom of the steering wheel to the back of the front seat? (with the seat back all the way?)

I've had issues with some small compact cars where I had a tight fit. I'm OK in my 96 GT but I don't know the comparison to a classic. It's kind of tough at a car show to ask someone if you can sit in there car. I know that's a strange question but it could be embarrasing to show up and have to walk away for that reason.

Thanks to all!!

Here is the full shot of that other pic.

Rich

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 07:02 PM
it does have the smog stuff which is a plus.

Can someone explain that? Was that an original option or added later?

Mustanglvr
04/26/2005, 07:18 PM
Very nice looking car. How much is he asking for it? I hope you get it for a good price. Good luck, Rhonda :)

Mosesatm
04/26/2005, 07:18 PM
Starting in '68 all manual transmission cars were equipped with a rudimentary pollution control system consisting of a "smog pump". All it did was route a portion of the exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber, I think. The complete setup is actually quite valuable since most people removed them as soon as the could.

My vote for transmission choice is manual, manual, manual, even if it is a 3-speed. You have all the basics to easily throw in a 4-speed or even newer 5-speed if you want to.

I think the seating is a little tight in a Mustang with standard seats, that is one reason I replaced mine with '64 T-bird seats. They sat a lot lower and gave me much more room between the steering wheel and the tops of my legs. They also reclined. Of course some of the purists may jump all over this next comment (they don't think putting a Nissan 3.5L in a Mustang is a good idea) but there are so many good seats on the market and the Mustang seats are so poor, and since I want to be comfotable when I drive I'd trash the original seats in a heartbeat and install almost anything else. Just keep the originals and try not to cut up the floor too much.

Is this car going to be a driver, a concourse restoration, a resto mod, or something else?

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 07:42 PM
Very nice looking car. How much is he asking for it? I hope you get it for a good price. Good luck, Rhonda :)

I guess I should've mentioned the price earlier but wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette :)

He's asking $11,000.

BroadwayBlue
04/26/2005, 07:48 PM
Is this car going to be a driver, a concourse restoration, a resto mod, or something else?

Not a daily driver and not a concourse restoration.
I want to enjoy the car - take it to some local cruises (there's one almost each night of the week around here) and car shows. I'll garage it and only drive it in good weather, etc ... much like I do with my 96 - I have less than 30,000 miles on that and it's stored all winter and only has seen rain maybe 10 times which is because I got caught in it while out (luckily never with the top down ;D) - it poured the day I picked it up actually.

The funny thing is in the past week I've come across 3 Mustangs for sale a 65 (64 1/2) coupe and 2 California Specials. Maybe the fact the 2 were CS's is a sign ;)
R

Mustanglvr
04/26/2005, 08:26 PM
$11,000 is a sweet deal if the car is sound. What about the other GT/CS? Whats that one like? Aren`t you interested in that one? Rhonda

68gt390
04/26/2005, 08:28 PM
Rich;
I wouldn't worry to much about the script. When the body work on mine was completed the body shop put the script on backwards on the drivers side of the car (drivers side quarter was replaced in 97). I can live with that (Don't want to screw up the paint). As long as you've got the Marti Report and it shows the CS option your good to go. As for the AC, it looks to be dealer installed or aftermarket. The tail light bezels can be cleaned with paint stripper to remove the black and then polish them with 00 steel wool (I had to do that with mine). Ford discontinued the CS bezels because of cost to produce 2 different types. Any replacements you buy today will have the black paint. As Casey mentioned it does not appear to have the GT option since the rear GT valance is not there. Again, the Marti Report will show you all of those items. Good luck in your purchase. You can look at the pics of my car posted on the site (page 3) and you'll see the misplacement of the CS Script on the drivers rear quarter as well as the tail light bezels after I cleaned them up. I've replaced numerous items on my car (grille, fog lights etc.) to get the correct items on it but, I figure for what I paid for it and it being a 4 speed/Big Block it was well worth it.

Don Potter ;)

BroadwayBlue
04/27/2005, 06:53 AM
$11,000 is a sweet deal if the car is sound. What about the other GT/CS? Whats that one like? Aren`t you interested in that one? Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,
I thought the price was reasonable based on what I've been seeing on-line.
As for the other GT/CS I unfortunatley didn't write down the number. My wife thought she had it memorized but I thought it was parked to be sold in a gas station near our house so I was planning on stopping that night to take a closer look. When I went back that night it wasn't there. Apparently the driver just stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. I'll have to keep an eye out again for it.

Rich

BroadwayBlue
04/27/2005, 06:58 AM
Rich;
I wouldn't worry to much about the script. When the body work on mine was completed the body shop put the script on backwards on the drivers side of the car (drivers side quarter was replaced in 97). .... You can look at the pics of my car posted on the site (page 3) and you'll see the misplacement of the CS Script on the drivers rear quarter as well as the tail light bezels after I cleaned them up. ...
Don Potter ;)

Hi Don,

Thank you!

So your car is the one I referred to earlier in the thread. I knew there was one I saw that was mounted the same way.

It can't hurt to ask the question to see what the explanation is.

Rich

case12
04/27/2005, 09:09 AM
The fog lights look correct in your picture, and I think I can make out the original mounts behind the grill - so all looks well. To your other question - I have a 2000GT convertible and the GT/CS has way more room in it.

Sounds like you have a good car to deal with. Check the underside - my GT/CS was a California beauty with no rust, but my 66 convertible from Cleavland was like swiss cheese in the rails and torque boxes (she's good as new now).

I would check for the accident potential Moses talks about. If a good job was done, then Don is on - it is not a big worry. (might give you a chance to work on the price down some).

Checking it out or the marti report is your next steps. Casey

Mosesatm
04/27/2005, 04:32 PM
Rich, be sure to always listen to Casey. I portrayed him as a genius in one of my earlier posts and I still stand by that description. ;D

case12
04/27/2005, 06:24 PM
Rich, be sure to always listen to Casey. I portrayed him as a genius in one of my earlier posts and I still stand by that description. ;D

Wow - 'genius' - It's been 5 years since I moved to the frozen north from Texas, and I forgot how all ya'll from the Lone Star state can be so nice. :D (They just rounded up a bunch of mob bosses here in Chicago - Yes, mob bosses apparently still exist today - one arrested yesterday was Joey "the clown" Lombardo). I miss Texas :'( Casey

BroadwayBlue
04/27/2005, 07:29 PM
LOL! ;D

Thanks for the help!
Hoping to get the VIN tomorrow and get the report, etc ... then I guess it's time to make a decision on whether I'm going to do this or not.

I can't thank you all enough for the info.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rich

68sunlitgold
04/28/2005, 02:58 PM
Rich,
one thing to add on the Marti Report, if you need it fast ask him to fax it to you. I called in my VIn # and recieved my report in about 3 hours. He will then mail the report to you. That way you can know sooner if that is an issue.

Doug

BroadwayBlue
04/28/2005, 08:33 PM
I was wondering about that too. Thanks!!

Another question I had ... if the current owner had a Marti report done himself is that good enough? I feel I can trust that he isn't going to fabricate a fake report.

My buddy is going to try and hook me and his Dad up via phone tomorrow. His Dad is in Vegas right now and the car is at his other son's on Long Island.
He's selling it because he retired and sold his house and therefore lost his garage and is moving. His son's aren't interested in it, one sold his fastback a number of years ago.

He knows I'm interested and I'm getting first shot at the car if I want it.

I have a lot of "book" knowledge but not much hands-on knowledge. I'm considering spending a few hundred to get it appraised by an auto appraiser. Seems to me it's worth the cost for the peace of mind. Any thoughts?
I was thinking of using this company:
http://www.automobileinspections.com/

R

Mosesatm
04/28/2005, 08:49 PM
Personally, if it were my money, I'd spend it on a Marti report and a mechanic. Or is the appraiser actually a mechanic? You've researched the market on the internet and pretty well know the value of the car. If Marti says it's a real GT/CS an appraiser seems redundant but a good mechanic will tell you all the nasty things you don't want to hear.

BroadwayBlue
04/28/2005, 08:59 PM
Personally, if it were my money, I'd spend it on a Marti report and a mechanic. Or is the appraiser actually a mechanic? You've researched the market on the internet and pretty well know the value of the car. If Marti says it's a real GT/CS an appraiser seems redundant but a good mechanic will tell you all the nasty things you don't want to hear.

I'm sorry I guess appraiser was the wrong word. I should have said Inspector.
From what I have read on this company they check whatever they can without removing any parts from the car (excluding dipstick, oil or radiator cap, etc...) due to liability reasons.
They will test drive with the owner and if possible will put the car on a lift or at least ramps too.
For an extra $25 they will give you their thoughts on value as an "appraisal".

This company seems reputable and is a resource on the diy network site and their classic car show.

Mosesatm
04/28/2005, 09:05 PM
Perfect.

BroadwayBlue
04/29/2005, 10:23 AM
Some additional info I received via email today.

302 4V 3 speed
Manual Steering
Manual Brakes

Is listed in the California Special Registry #111

Built in San Jose Plant in California
Sold in an Arizona dealership

Original owner installed A/C - still in working order

Car is all original except for paint - original was lime green

34,000 miles on engine rebuild with factory specs

Recommended service:
All Brakes
Wheel Cylinders and Master
Springs

Original owner drove it cross country to Long Island.
Sold it to the 2nd owner also in Long Island. It sat in a garage for 2 years - the owner's
wife didn't like manual steering.
Current owner has had it for 20 years.

His explanation on the script placement was that those are the original holes.
I'm thinking a previous owner may have replaced the rear quarter panel and did it wrong.
I'm not too hung up on that if the rest of the car checks out OK.

Thanks to all!

case12
04/29/2005, 04:16 PM
The registry is by VIN, and doesnt have numbers (that I can find). Send us the VIN and we can tell you if it is in the registry.

Sounds like a good find so far. The 302 makes it a later car, and Arizona matches that (heaviest production in April). There were 200 cars sent to Phoenix district (DSO 75) according to Paul's book. As mentioned before, the wheels and GT caps are probably add ons. All this would show up on the Marti report.

Check inside the trunk to see if the steel light covers (unique to the GT/CS and Shelby) are still there on the side of the incorrect script. Those are hard to find, and if missing may indicate the rear quarter being damaged. Casey

Casey

hookedtrout
04/29/2005, 04:54 PM
Check inside the trunk to see if the steel light covers (unique to the GT/CS and Shelby) are still there on the side of the incorrect script. Those are hard to find, and if missing may indicate the rear quarter being damaged. Casey

Casey

Which light cover are you refering to? Do you have a picture of it? Is it on the tail lights or the side marker lights. Confused me on this one, just want to clear myself up.

Hook

68sunlitgold
04/29/2005, 05:14 PM
Hook,
I believe Casey is talking about the metal covers inside inside the trunk to protect the back of the lights. I attached a pic.

Doug

hookedtrout
04/29/2005, 07:05 PM
Hook,
I believe Casey is talking about the metal covers inside inside the trunk to protect the back of the lights. I attached a pic.

Doug

So it goes all across the back over the lights. I'm good with that. I was thinking what the heck I don't have any metal covers on the inside of my rear fenders in the trunk. My right rear quarter was hit and replaced prior to my purchasing the car and they punched the holes in bass ackwards for my Californa Special script as well, will be corrected upon repaint which it needs bad so it will be soon. I never even caught it until I was at the Rick Warner Ford Mustang show in SLC, Utah and someone pointed it out to me.

What they do is measure from the opposite side when they don't have a template and try and duplicate it which puts it B.A. when applied. I have a correct template sitting on my visor waiting for the repaint thanks to a generous Californiaspecial.com member. ;D

Hook

BroadwayBlue
04/29/2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone! The picture is a big help.

I'll update you with more info as I get it.

BroadwayBlue
04/30/2005, 08:55 PM
I got the Vin and Data Codes. Everything seems to check out. Going to get the report run as soon as I can.

8R01J160200
65A I 26 13E 75 5 1

Based on my findings these decode to the following:

8 - 1968
R - San Jose
01 - Hardtop
J - 302 (4v)
160200 - consecutive number

65A - Hardtop with Standard Interior
I - Lime Gold
26 - Black with Black Trim
13E - May 13th
75 - Phoenix
5 - 3.0:1
1 - 3 speed manual

Thanks again!
Rich

Mustanglvr
04/30/2005, 10:08 PM
:D Good job Rich. You`re getting the hang of all this. My GT/CS has the same Phoenix DSO as the one you want to buy. Mine will turn 37 years old on May 15th. Good luck with the purchase. Rhonda

case12
05/01/2005, 03:04 PM
Rich,

Your car is indeed in the 89 and 96 GT/CS registry. The owner name listed (in the 89 and 96 registry) is Louis Chimento. It has this note in the registry "Dealer AC. A/C-york compressor, jupiter unit under dash. GT center caps found in trunk. Previous (original) owner bought it in Arizona, and drove it to New York".

Looks like you have the real deal - BUT, only the Marti report proves it (even a car in the registry may not be authentic - but this one is looking good). Casey

BroadwayBlue
05/01/2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for checking Casey!

Yes that is him, that is the current owner. He said he has owned it for 20 years so it makes sense that he would be the owner in 89 too.

He is the 3rd owner of the car.

I'm going to give a call tomorrow to try and get the Marti report done and faxed to me.

Is the Basic ($17) report enough just to check the car? I may upgrade later if I close the deal and it seems you don't have to pay full price if you upgrade the reports.

Thanks again everyone! This info is great!

Rich

68sunlitgold
05/02/2005, 12:19 AM
Rich,
yes the basic will be enough to authenticate the car. I did the same thing by getting the basic and then upgrading once I purchased the car.

Doug

BroadwayBlue
05/02/2005, 03:07 PM
I got he Marti report faxed to me today.

Everything came back as expected except for the interior code. Everything else matched including the California Special option.

I think I messed up the codes when I decoded them in my previous post.

When I decoded the info on the interior color this weekend I thought my friend told me the interior code was 26. When I looked it came up black so I didn't think anything of it... He had said he had a tough time seeing the data plate because it was raining pretty hard and they couldn't pull the car out of the garage.

Today I had a Marti report run on the VIN from the Ford database it came back with the same data plate info I had except instead of 26 it was 2G. The 2G is the 1968 interior color code for Ivy Gold. In a dark garage the 2G could easily look like a 26.

I checked back at the decoder I used for the 26 and realized it was black but not for 1968 - that was the code for 1965 and 1966. For 1968 the color code for black would've been 2A.

Someone checked the registry entry for the car and it is listed as 2G there also.

So I'm just trying to confirm at what point the interior was swapped out from gold to black. Being the color was changed from lime green to blue, I would've changed the interior too but just want to confirm.

I actually prefer the Blue/Black combo - no offense to those with Lime Green/Ivy Gold - just personal preference.

My question is, assuming the interior was swapped out with the color change, do you think that is a big deal? I know from an originality standpoint it's not ideal but does that diminish the value a lot? I do prefer this color combo.

The corrected decoding info, and now confirmed with the Marti report, should be as follows:

8 - 1968
R - San Jose
01 - Hardtop
J - 302 (4v)
160200 - consecutive number

65A - Hardtop with Standard Interior
I - Lime Gold
2G - Ivy Gold
13E - Scheduled for build May 13th
75 - Phoenix
5 - 3.0:1
1 - 3 speed manual

Thanks as always!
Rich

Mosesatm
05/02/2005, 03:38 PM
In my opinion, if you are interested in keeping the resale potential as high as possible it depends how you will use the car. If you are going for a 100 point restoration then the change in color may hurt resale, but then so will the change in color of the exterior. If you are going for an awsome looking car that will appeal to the most people possible then the change to a black interior will probably help resale.

The performance look of black appeals to me more than the elegant look of the colored interiors, and I'd bet that most Mustang fans prefer the black interiors. Sounds like it's time for another survey!

If you keep the car blue going back to the gold interior would be an interesting contrast to say the least.

An interesting debate might be trying to decide which combination would have the best resale. Blue/black, Green/gold, or Green/black. I think we'll can safely leave blue/green out of the mix.

case12
05/02/2005, 03:48 PM
Of course - Sunlit Gold with Parchment interior is undoubtedly the best combination :o

As for Blue on Black - Colors change over the years. Blue with white strips and a 302 is awesome. Many owners on this site have different color cars from the data plate. The car is a nice original GT/CS (from Phoenix DSO), and to me that is what matters most - If you like it, and want to drive it, and want to have people say "wow!" - then go for it. Casey

390cs68rcode
05/02/2005, 05:16 PM
Royal maroon paint, Black interior, white vinyl top with white stripes. Best resale/desirability/gotta have color combination. I might be a little biased though. ;D

hookedtrout
05/02/2005, 05:32 PM
Royal maroon paint, Black interior, white vinyl top with white stripes. Best resale/desirability/gotta have color combination. I might be a little biased though. ;D

What are you guys drinking? Acapulco Blue with white stripes is simply the ultimate in Mustang color combination, there is no doubt...in my mind. ;) The same goes for a Shelby Cobra, it's perfect baby.

Hook

Mustanglvr
05/02/2005, 05:38 PM
I like the color combo of Highland green exterior and saddle brown interior. Does anybody know how many GT/CS`s came with that combination? Rhonda

BroadwayBlue
05/02/2005, 07:42 PM
In my opinion, if you are interested in keeping the resale potential as high as possible it depends how you will use the car. If you are going for a 100 point restoration then the change in color may hurt resale, but then so will the change in color of the exterior. If you are going for an awsome looking car that will appeal to the most people possible then the change to a black interior will probably help resale.

I'm not looking to buy the car as an investment that I'm expecting to increase in value. I'm not looking for a concours restoration either (at least not at this point 8) but you never know what the future holds right?).
I'm looking for something I can enjoy driving, take to local cruises and shows and have something that's just a little different.

I see your points though it could go either way.

If I was buying the car new the blue/black combo would be my first choice with the maroon/black a close second followed by the highland green/parchment or black.

If I broke even with this car on a resale down the road I'd be happy. If I lose money on it down the road but I enjoyed it for the time I had it I'm OK with that too.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Rich

BroadwayBlue
05/02/2005, 07:48 PM
As for Blue on Black - Colors change over the years. Blue with white strips and a 302 is awesome. Many owners on this site have different color cars from the data plate. The car is a nice original GT/CS (from Phoenix DSO), and to me that is what matters most - If you like it, and want to drive it, and want to have people say "wow!" - then go for it. Casey

I'm kind of in the same place I think.
I don't hear anyone saying "Oh my God don't even bother buying it if that's the case :o" - so that's a good thing. I think for the price and knowing it's an original GT/CS it's a good deal.

You don't see a lot of GT/CS cars in the NY area either so it will be something unique in that sense. Knowing it's history and loving the color combo works for me.

Rich

Mustanglvr
05/02/2005, 09:27 PM
Let me tell you BroadwayBlue, you won`t ever regret buying a GT/CS. I still can`t get over the fact that people will stand on the street corner with their mouths open just glaring at my car as I drive by. I have had a lot of people run up to me at the gas station to tell me how rare they think my car is. Alot of people who see it feel they are seeing something they will probably never see again in their lifetime. I know alot of people think what I have is a rare Shelby, but they are usually pleasantly surprised to find it is a rare California Special. In the last year since I`ve owned the car I could`nt begin to count how many times a perfect stranger has asked me if I would sell it. I`ll tell you, if you like attention then a GT/CS is the car for you. Just wait, you`ll see what I mean when you drive it for the first time. Make sure you know all the information about the car because people are going to be asking alot of questions. Here in Minnesota there are only 3 and mine is 1 of them. I wonder how many are in New York? Again, Good Luck with your purchase. :)Rhonda

BroadwayBlue
05/03/2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback Rhonda!

I hear what you're saying and I don't mind the attention at all. I've always driven cars that were a little bit different, whether it was color or something else. I like that it's rare and unique. I'm hoping it will spark a lot of conversation and questions. That's part of why I'm asking the owner and everyone here so many questions. I want to know all I can about the car's history. I'll let you know the outcome!

Rich

case12
05/03/2005, 06:39 AM
If you go for it, get every piece of paper work and parts from the owner as part of the deal - bug them for anything they can remember and find. I asked for everything and months later I am still getting stuff from the owner like oil change receipts from the 90's. Ask for owners manuals, warranty cards, build sheets, etc - as this person has had this GT/CS this long it is likely that he has some of this stuff. I literally got boxes full of original parts with my GT/CS because I asked (all the way down to original screws, ORIGINAL hose clamps, original wiper motor (that died at one time) - you name it - that were changed on the car along the way and this guy just stuffed old parts in his garage). Since this is a rare car, you will be glad to have all the info you can get on it from the owner. Casey

BroadwayBlue
05/03/2005, 07:12 AM
Hi Casey!

I will definitley ask for anything I can get.

I heard back from him via email that the original owner had changed the color to black on the interior. It was black when he purchased it, he only changed the exterior color.

I'm going to set something up with the inspection agent to go check it out and make plans to head out to Long Island and see it for myself.

Thanks again!

BroadwayBlue
05/20/2005, 06:42 AM
Hey Everybody! :)

I got a chance to go see the car for myself yesterday.
I love it!
I got a chance to drive and check everything out on my own. I checked out all the things everyone mentioned and all - it did have the metal light covers in the back and the scoops looked correct and had the screens still.
The paint, chrome and interior are in decent shape.
Eventually will need a paint job - there is a spot under the hood where the blue is flaking some and you can see the old green paint. Checked all the recommended rust locations and all looked good. Overall is a solid car.

I have one problem though and it was something I mentioned earlier and was concerned about. :(

It's a tight fit for me especially that it doesn't have tilt wheel. The steering wheels are lower than I thought.
The owner remembered some tilt wheel kits that use the original steering wheel and recommended I check them out. I did some searching online and found the Flaming River kits on a few sites.

I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with the Flaming River Tilt Wheel kits ?
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Steering/steering_columns.htm

Has anyone had experience installing them?
Are there other brands?

This is probably the only thing standing between me and purchasing the car. :-\

Appreciate any feedback!
Thanks!
Rich

case12
05/20/2005, 07:17 AM
Tilt wheel was also an option on the 68. So, you could keep it all original by getting one of those if you chose to. Casey

Sarge
05/20/2005, 01:39 PM
Rich,
I had the same problem, but solved it by going to a smaller steering wheel. It looks good, doesn't look too out of place, and was a fairly cheap fix. And, of course, I still have the original, so I can bring it back to original when I need to!
Just another option.........
Robert

BroadwayBlue
05/20/2005, 02:01 PM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. I had thought of that also.
Could you let me know the type of wheel you installed?
I'd love to take a look at it.

Thanks! :)

Sarge
05/20/2005, 04:50 PM
Rich,
I will have to look it up in my catalogue... I will try to get a pic posted as well. Weekend is coming up, it's sunny, and time to start doing some cruzin'!!! ;D
Robert

Sarge
05/24/2005, 07:57 PM
Rich,
Here is a pic of my 13" steering wheel. It doesn't look too out of place, and I can always go back to the original (if I want to squeeze in and out of the C/S). I purchased it from Mustangs Plus in Stockton, CA (wanted to check out their store) but I am sure it is available at most classic Mustang stores. A word of caution... do not buy it "on-line" as I had to open three boxes before I found one which didn't have "splinter holes" on the backside of the wheel.
Good Luck :)
Robert

BroadwayBlue
05/25/2005, 07:03 AM
Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to post the pic for me.
It looks great! Thanks for the heads up on checking them out before purchasing!

Rich

case12
05/25/2005, 02:34 PM
I believe that is a Grant steering wheel. Large after market steering wheel brand for mustangs and many vehicles. You can probably get on on eBay too. Casey

Sarge
05/25/2005, 03:27 PM
Give that man a star! It is a Grant, I had forgotten the make until you said it...
Robert

BroadwayBlue
05/31/2005, 07:12 PM
I'm going for it! ;D

I'm picking up the GT/CS on Friday if all goes well.
Already have the tilt column on the way and hope to be rolling soon!!!

Thanks to all on this site for your assistance, patience and sharing of knowledge.
I can only hope that some day I can pass along what I've learned to others in search of info on these great cars!

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I get working on things.
I'll do my best to search the forums first before buggin' everyone ;)

I noticed a few other Newbies looking for help and tips and the info in those threads has also been helpful.
You guys and gals are the greatest!!!

Thanks again - I'll keep you posted on how things turn out!

Rich

case12
06/01/2005, 08:13 AM
Great news! You wont regret it. I have had so much fun with mine, and it always get the looks when I drive by. This is a great forum of people who enjoy helping each other and sharing. Please post pictures when you get it! Casey

BroadwayBlue
06/08/2005, 11:03 AM
8)

It's official! I'm a proud owner of a California Special!!
Picked it up on Friday.

Planning on doing brakes and shocks and installing a flaming river tilt wheel over the next few weeks.
Can't wait to get it off of jack stands and out on the road!!

I know I'm going to have a number of questions but I'll put them in a new thread ... this is getting a bit long ;)

Thanks everyone!

Here are some pics of the new pony in the corral.

Rich

BroadwayBlue
06/08/2005, 11:42 AM
8)

BroadwayBlue
06/08/2005, 11:43 AM
My 2 1/2 year old has already claimed stake to it!

Thanks again everyone. Hope to meet some of you in person someday!

hookedtrout
06/08/2005, 12:46 PM
Way to go Rich, won't be long and we will have all those GREEN with envy non blue owners outvoted with Beautiful BLUE GT/CS's.

Nice car, cute kid, looks like everything's going your way.

Hook

BroadwayBlue
06/08/2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks Hook!!

It started it's life Green but it's staying Blue for now!

She is a cutie! She's a car nut already too. She wants a Mini Cooper though ... have to work on that part ::)

390cs68rcode
06/08/2005, 01:48 PM
She wants a Mini Cooper though ... have to work on that part

sounds kinda familiar.............I had to buy my wife a Mini after I bought my 390 CS.

hookedtrout
06/08/2005, 02:01 PM
She wants a Mini Cooper though ... have to work on that part

sounds kinda familiar.............I had to buy my wife a Mini after I bought my 390 CS.

Heck I'd like a mini cooper too so there's nothing wrong with that. I currently drive a 90 something Festiva with 245,000 miles on it back and forth to work every day. Gets 43 mpg so I drive it every day and the new stuff sits in the garage until needed along with the GT/CS. I have one of those pee on guys in the back window and he's peeing on the words "Gas Prices". Keeps the miles down on the new vehicles, saves a ton on gas and I've learned to love the little Festiva, I gave it a flame job one weekend with farm and tractor paint...turned out awesome for a mask off in the garage and paint it under $20.

Hook

case12
06/08/2005, 02:42 PM
Rich, This is a stunning car! If Sunlit Gold weren't already the perfect color, your blue is definitely a color I would choose. :)

How did it go on getting any paperwork on the car? Casey

Mosesatm
06/09/2005, 06:56 PM

Aaaarrrgh!!!

BroadwayBlue
06/09/2005, 07:09 PM

Aaaarrrgh!!!

Sorry Arlie 8)

When it come time for a new paint job I might change my mind. :-\

BroadwayBlue
06/09/2005, 07:13 PM
Rich, This is a stunning car! If Sunlit Gold weren't already the perfect color, your blue is definitely a color I would choose. :)

How did it go on getting any paperwork on the car? Casey

Thanks Casey I appreciate that! I kind of like it too.

I'm working on getting all the paperwork that I can from the original owner. He is in Pennsylvania right now so hopefully the next time my friend sees his Dad he'll have it.
R