• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT/CS Eleanor

Mosesatm

Cobraman brings up a great point. And I think the price paid for the Eleanor proves that there is a HUGE market for quasi-GT/CS clones out there.

There will always be those who want a car to be numbers-matching, 100% perfectly stock but those people are few and far between and they make up a little tiny portion of the classic car market. Right now I think the real market is in old cars that look wicked but are reasonable priced. Take a look at the success of the new Mustang and the PT Cruiser. People buy them just because they are cool looking cars that look like they are old. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that one of them happens to go fast. I think the people who buy those cars are the real heart of the market. They want a classic Mustang but don’t want to spend the money for a perfectly restored example and they don’t want to spend the money or the time to either have one restored or do it themselves.

If someone would take ’67 and ’68 Mustang coupes, which are the ugly ducklings of the pre-1971 Mustang world, and transform them into killer looking machines they would sell the things faster than they could be built. Think about it, that is what a GT/CS is. It’s just a plain looking coupe that has been transformed with $1,500 worth of fiberglass parts. As I’ve said before, I’ll bet it would even be financially sound to purchase 6-cylinder cars, replace the engine, spindles, axles, brakes, etc. with V8 components and sell them. People wouldn’t care that it was once a 6-cylinder car.

This is a huge untapped market for the right person, but the prices would need to be reasonable. My guess is around $25,000 to $35,000 instead of the $55,000 minimum the Eleanors sell for now. Could they be built for that and still make a profit? I don’t know. One of these days I might crunch the numbers and see.

As long as the cars could not be confused with real California Specials I’d love to see someone build the things. I’d buy one. Personally, I’m getting a little tired of Eleanor so maybe it’s time to give her another facelift. Who knows someone could even work a deal with one of the big automakers (no, not Nissan) to purchase new engines and transmissions for the cars at a reasonable price. I guess history does repeat itself….kind of sounds like a Shelby idea 40 years ago.

jk89cat

and the peopel liek me who have cars that are missign so many parts its a cheaper very feasable option. but i hate that hood and front end. its gross. and its like they melted 65-68 into one also the hood and non opened hood scopps are just ugly too

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9935 date=1114743467]
If someone would take ’67 and ’68 Mustang coupes, which are the ugly ducklings of the pre-1971 Mustang world,

[/quote]

I would have to agree that the big dollar market seems hell bent for leather on modified, cloned, hopped up, conversion, retro cars. I will take issue with your statement on the 67/68 coupes being ugly ducklings. I personally think the 67/68 were the best looking years of Mustang even in the plain old coupes and that includes right through the current day models! 64-66 were a little small and dainty looking, no muscle look, 69 was sweet as well and the big nosed bad boy 70's were the ugly ducklings to me. Oh well just my opinion however.

Hook

Mosesatm

Hook, I agree that the "ugly duckling" shot was a little harsh but I had to get the ugly duckling into the swan metaphor in there somehow. I agree that a plain stock '70 coupe is about as bland a Mustang as there has ever been. Of coure the funky reverse scoop thing they put on the '69 coupe pretty well destroyed the lines of that car, too. On the other hand I think the '69 Boss 302 is about the best looking Mustang ever built, closely followed by the '67 Shelby.

As far as I know no one has ever tricked out '69 or '70 coupes for the mass market, or for that matter '65 or '66 coupes. The '69/'70 Shelby de Mexico was sold only in Mexico. There are a lot of solid unloved '65 through '70 coupes out there that are just waiting for some creative person, with a lot of startup money, to TASTFULLY transform them. It seems the '69 and '70s would be an easier transformation and more PC since messing with the original Mustangs would be considered heresy by some.

Mustanglvr

I guess thats why we`ve all been argueing over a registery for only authenticated cars. With people deciding to crunch the numbers to see what kind of profit they would make out of cars they`ve cloned, I can see a great need for keeping the authentic cars seperate. Those are the same people that are going to keep the price of the original cars down. What kind of future do the old Mustangs have? Why not just leave them alone? If you continually try to change the Mustang(any year), than you are not a true Mustanger. I`m not sure what the word for you is yet ,but its not very nice. I personally think that all Mustangs are killer looking machines just the way they are.
Just my two cents worth.
Rhonda

Mosesatm

Rhonda, I've been arguing for a registry too. I think it's critical that we keep tabs on the original GT/CSs because their value will rise sharply if and when Eleanor coupes start hitting the market. And anyone who makes true-to-life GT/CS clones and doesn't register them as such should be dealt with appropriately.

IMHO, I think someone who is looking to save Mustangs by adding a few fiberglass parts to them, rather than see them crushed because no one wants them is a "Mustanger". If you think such a person deserves a separate not-so-nice name that's ok. We'll just agree to disagree.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9935 date=1114743467]
Cobraman brings up a great point. And I think the price paid for the Eleanor proves that there is a HUGE market for quasi-GT/CS clones out there. [/quote]

You are right on. Look at the "Little Red" convertible clone that just sold on EBAY for over $45,000. Now, I'll be the first to admit that 67 convertibles don't come real cheap ANDI'll also give props to the car in that it appeared very clean, neat and well done. It even had the 428. But still, it was just a very cool, very well optioned 67 convertible. These prices are going through the roof. My hats off to the guy that made his money, paid homage to a mostly forgotten (to everyone but people on this site)piece of FOMOCO history, and did it with a classy car and didn't try to pull the wool over anyones eyes. I just wish my High country would pull that kind of cash. On the other hand, maybe I don't. If my car were worth that kind of money I might be tempted to sell and I don't want that.

One last thing, I can't agree with the opinion of anyone that owns an altered Mustang (even an Eleanor, which I'm becoming bored with as well)not being a Mustanger because it's not a purist vehicle. Remember that even from the beginning, people would buy 'em and change 'em to suit themselves. That's the greatest thing about the car. It was deemed a secratary's car as well as an all-out, firebreathing, take-no-prisoners drag and road racing Detroit killer.

hookedtrout

The interesting aspect of all this cloning and modifying to make the car worth astronomical prices to me is that you don't have to be deceptive. There isn't any doubt when you look at an Eleanor that it isn't something from the 60's. These cars that are bringing 6 digit prices are cars that are well known to be clones or modified cars.

Hook

hookedtrout

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9959 date=1114800936]
That's it. I'm turning my high country into an Eleanor. I'm going to ask $150,000 reserve on Ebay. Anyone with me?
[/quote]

Right behind you! ;)

Hook

rvrtrash

I guess I'm out of step. To me, Eleanor will always be a yellow '73 Mustang. ::)
Steve

19HCS68

[glow=red,2,300]"I guess I'm out of step. To me, Eleanor will always be a yellow '73 Mustang."[/glow]

Me too Steve. That's the car that comes to my mind when I hear a car that's named Eleanor. We must be too old Steve. :-\

Gary

PS Sorry I don't know how to make the "Quote" option to work. :-[

case12

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9962 date=1114808026]
[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9959 date=1114800936]
That's it. I'm turning my high country into an Eleanor. I'm going to ask $150,000 reserve on Ebay. Anyone with me?
[/quote]

Right behind you! ;)

Hook, don't betray us now. ??? Not after all your posts on having the GT/CS for the love of it. You know you love her too much to go messing around with her for any price :) I am actually taking good stuff off mine to take it back to original (like taking off the GT hub caps, and GT gas cap). Casey

Hook
[/quote]

hookedtrout

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=15#msg9966 date=1114817023]
[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9962 date=1114808026]
[/quote]

Right behind you! ;)

Hook, don't betray us now. ??? Not after all your posts on having the GT/CS for the love of it. You know you love her too much to go messing around with her for any price :) I am actually taking good stuff off mine to take it back to original (like taking off the GT hub caps, and GT gas cap). Casey

Hook
[/quote]
[/quote]

I didn't say I was "With Him" I said "I was right behind him!" There's a huge difference. I wouldn't put that gob of crap on my beautiful Mustang even if I had a guaranteed 6 digits turn over upon completion. You guys have nothing to worry about with me. These people hacking up perfectly good classics to make a buck turn me into the indian standing in front of the trash by the river with the tear rolling down his cheek. No gob of junk on my hood, just smooth classic original lines. ;)

Hook

390cs68rcode

[quote author=19HCS68 link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9964 date=1114813311]
[glow=red,2,300]"I guess I'm out of step. To me, Eleanor will always be a yellow '73 Mustang."[/glow]

Me too Steve. That's the car that comes to my mind when I hear a car that's named Eleanor. We must be too old Steve. :-\

Gary

speaking of 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds I just bought a vintage 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds movie poster for the garage.

[/quote]

hookedtrout

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=15#msg9970 date=1114822531]
[quote author=19HCS68 link=board=1;threadid=1632;start=0#msg9964 date=1114813311]

Gary

speaking of 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds I just bought a vintage 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds movie poster for the garage.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Cool deal on the poster. How much and do they have more?

As for the quote, here comes the directions so pay close attention and upon reading this reply immediately using said directions.

First you select the option "Reply with Quote on the top right hand side of the message you are replying to. Once the box opens, assuming you want the quote at the top of the reply message you scroll to the bottom of the message and click in your cursor after the last quote in [...] and then hit return a couple of time and start typing your reply. Everything inside of the quote boxes will be in the highlighted quote type box and your reply will be outside. Lets see how crapy I am at directions now on your attempt.

Hook