• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another on eBay

68gt390

Somebody has added GT center caps to the car. I'd almost bet it's a storage facility. Everything seems to be on the car. There seems to be a lot of surface rust in the engine bay area for it being stored in a climate controlled building. It appears to be a good candidate for restoration if the price is right.

Don 8)

nfrntau

It has to be a garage. I don't believe a storage facility would put that kind of window in and hang trinkets on the walls.

He does have some neat toys. The black car is a 1925 Tudor model T Sedan. The red one looks to be a 1929 Delux Phaeton Model A. Can't make out the others.

That GT/CS is an inigma. It must have really been abused by the original owner. Look at the rust stains in the trunk at the edges of the carpet, and at the jack handle. You just wouldn't expect to see that in a climate controlled environment. Unless of course the owner likes the Houston climate. lol
That underhood is sure a mess. I wonder why he didn't have them detail the engine compartment when they did the paint? (If you can't see it don't worry about it)

cgable5150

I just got off the phone with the owner. This is his garage. I don't think it will make reserve (16,500 lowered from 20,000). He has not had it out or started in 5 years but it sounds like he stored it fairly well. I live very close to him so I will probably go look at it after the auction ends. He said I will be amazed at the condition. No dissapointments.
What do you guys think it's worth if described accurately? He asked me what I thought it was worth and of coarse I shot him a low number. I'm curious to get some feedback from people here to base what I might offer him. It seems like the original paint would add value if it's nice like he claims. I would of coarse get a report first. ;)
Thanks,
Chris

Mosesatm

Rust might be more of an issue than the owner knows or is letting on. He says that the only rust is a bubble on one door but we all know that there is never just one bubble on one door. Take a look at the picture of the data plate and the picture of the fuel line. In the fuel line photo he's trying to show us solid floors but what I'm drawn to is the horribly rusted fuel line. I think this car needs to be put up on a hoist and given a thorough inspection. Pictures of the bottoms of the doors and the battery tray would be interesting to see.

If he hasn't driven the car in 5 years it will also need a good long road test. All the suspension rubber bushings are probably cracked and will need to be replaced as well as the shocks. Might as well change out the upper control arms also since they are probably squeaking or stuck.

And what about that little bubble on the door? It'll need to be repaired. That creates quite a problem. Do you just fix that one spot and keep the original paint or do you consider a complete repaint?

An original car is great and worth a lot of money if it looks and runs like an original low-miles car but, from the pictures, I'm not convinced that this one falls into that category. It's not worth a whole lot if everything needs to be replaced.

That is a very long winded way of saying that I think it would be difficult for us to guess what the car is worth without spending a whole day inspecting it and driving it.

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

If you go look at it would you be willing to post pictures so we can get a little better handle on its condition?

Did you notice the "No PayPal" clause? I wonder what that's about?

Also note that the description on ebay says the car is green but the pictures show white. Probably need to check the paint code on the data plate that we can't read.

Don't mean to sound to cynical but he needs to back up his claims of this being a 76,000 mile original car and the pictures just aren't enough.

cgable5150

Mosesatm,
I think everything you mentioned is right on. I posted a couple weeks ago about a red gt/cs I was buying down in southern Illinois. It just ended on eBay for the second time at $9500. We had a deal for $8500 and I drove 10 hours to pick it up. :( When I arrived I was very dissapointed. The inner wheel houses were rotted, There were holes in the engine compartment where the fenders bolt on, rear quarters were full of doe, the door gaps seemed tight in the rear and over all the car just didn't seem structurally sound. It had a decent paint job but that was about it. I sure hope the guy who bought it goes to see it before he spends money.
If I go see it I would be happy to post pictures. I kind of agree it is a 13 or 14k car if it is as nice as described. I also think with a thousand dollars and a little elbow grease it could be a 15 or 16K car.
I wish I knew more about Mustangs and exactly where to look for rust. If anyone could provide some assistance here I would greatly appreciate it.
If I decide to buy this car I would do it with a stipulation of being able to verify it is a true GT/CS. Can anyone tell me how quickly this can be achieved, and is a Marty report the best way? ???
Thanks,
Chris

Mustanglvr

I`ve seen it happen a couple of times now in the last few months. The ad should be yanked off of there for false advertisement. I suppose they think if they sneek the words California Special in there some sucker will pay just a little more for it without checking in to it first. The car is in excellent shape though. They would probably get a good price for it anyway without the misconception. Rhonda

68gt390

[quote author=cgable5150 link=board=1;threadid=1650;start=0#msg10329 date=1115730671]
Mosesatm,
I think everything you mentioned is right on. I posted a couple weeks ago about a red gt/cs I was buying down in southern Illinois. It just ended on eBay for the second time at $9500. We had a deal for $8500 and I drove 10 hours to pick it up. :( When I arrived I was very dissapointed. The inner wheel houses were rotted, There were holes in the engine compartment where the fenders bolt on, rear quarters were full of doe, the door gaps seemed tight in the rear and over all the car just didn't seem structurally sound. It had a decent paint job but that was about it. I sure hope the guy who bought it goes to see it before he spends money.
If I go see it I would be happy to post pictures. I kind of agree it is a 13 or 14k car if it is as nice as described. I also think with a thousand dollars and a little elbow grease it could be a 15 or 16K car.
I wish I knew more about Mustangs and exactly where to look for rust. If anyone could provide some assistance here I would greatly appreciate it.
If I decide to buy this car I would do it with a stipulation of being able to verify it is a true GT/CS. Can anyone tell me how quickly this can be achieved, and is a Marty report the best way? ???
Thanks,
Chris
[/quote]

Chris;
First off, pull the back seats and check floor pans, lift carpet in front drivers area and check that floor pan. If car has been undercoated check all areas where undercoating is loose (if possible scrape some of it off) and see what the metal looks like underneath the car. Check your torque box's and both wheel well areas along with the frame rails. Also look inside the trunk area expecially around the wheel housings inside. That's were dirt/just about anything gets trapped and last but not least check your shock tower areas in the engine bay. Those are just a few of the areas you can check. If anyone else can add to this list please do. All the help/ideas you can provide are welcome. I once bought a 67 years ago and wish I had some previous info before I bought. I learned a valuable lesson on that car. Some rust (surface type) can be easily fixed but, rotted floor pans, rusted frame rails, rusted shock towers and rotted torque boxs are major items to replace unless you can do the work yourself. Hope this info helps.

Don ;)

Mosesatm

Only 3 hours left and it's still stuck at $10,100. Wonder what's keeping the price so low?

cgable5150

Sorry it took so long to get back. I did go look at the car but then left for Florida on vacation. It was as described. A basic driver, original everything, never undercoated and very clean. It had normal where like a car drven on a daily basis. The motor compartment was in serious need of help but nothing that couldn't be fixed. The car was Sea foam green, not white as we all thought. The guy listing it seemed to be a stand up guy but was not willing to negotiate. He just planned to cover it up and let it sit for another 10 years.
Thanks for the guidence on where to look for rust. I don't think it was an issue with this car but the paint was right at the point where you may have wanted to have it shot. It had quite a few blems and the trunk paint was of coarse all cracked up.
I also looked at the red one that was on eBay located in Bradenton while I was on vacation. It was beautiful. He wanted $30,000 for it. Nice car but I think he's dreaming.