View Full Version : Insurance Repairs

05/09/2005, 05:27 AM
Does anyone know what an insurance company would do if a GT/CS they were insuring was hit in the front and the grille had to be replaced? As far as I know there are no reproduction GT/CS grilles. Even worse, what if the car had Marchals on it and they and the brackets were destroyed?

Would they just total the car for $20,000 and get rid of the problem?

What rights do the car owners have in such situations?

05/09/2005, 06:13 AM
I'm still studying my new Hagarty policy but it looks good on paper. I'm still a little skeptical however as most insurance is a fraud hell bent on taking your money and giving nothing in return if at all possible. And when it isn't possible and they have to fork out money you will look like a criminal and they will probably drop you and treat you as such irregardless of the fact that they have been collecting your premiums for the past 20 years without any payback.

Looks like I can chose who and where I get any work done which is a good thing. Still haven't found anyone that has filed a serious claim through Haggarty. The policy looks more like I joined a car collector club than signed on for insurance so I like what I see anyway.


05/09/2005, 07:27 AM
Minnesota is a no-fault insurance state. So your insurance pays for your own damages depending on the coverage you have for yourself. The premiums here are very high. I only have comprehensive coverage so if I wreck my car, its gone. They have been trying to change the no-fault law but I think the rich people in this state want it to stay the way it is. Rhonda

05/09/2005, 09:36 AM
One of my cars ('69 XL Convertible) was rear ended in 2000 and the special flip open trunk lock cover disappeared. My insurance at the time (I've since moved to Haggerty's) wasn't really concerned. I had to track one down by myself on the internet, buy it and then they reimbursed me. You'll probably run into the same thing with a CS grill, fog lights or other impossible to find parts.

05/09/2005, 11:19 AM
If they total the car and pay you off, with some insurance companies if you ask they will give you an option of salvage rights.
For instance I totaled my boat, they paid me for it and then I bought it back for about 10% of the pay off.
They will not volunteer this information, you must ask.

05/09/2005, 07:53 PM
Minnesota is a no-fault insurance state. So your insurance pays for your own damages depending on the coverage you have for yourself. The premiums here are very high.

Hey Rhonda, Michigan is also a no-fault state (with expensive premiums as well). Have you checked out Hagerty because I'm only paying like $250 a year for full coverage on my CS. Zero deductible too.. I like most others wonder what will really happen if the car is damaged. My car is very original - paint and all and it's valued higher due to that fact. So what happens to the value when I've got to paint a new fender Seafoam Green...?? Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

05/09/2005, 08:13 PM
I guess I never really thought about checking into Haggerty because I have insurance through Progressive and they say they get the lowest price for you through alot of different companies. I guess I am too trusting and should check it out myself. Thanks for the advice Jc68gtcs. :)Rhonda

05/09/2005, 08:21 PM

05/10/2005, 05:46 AM
grundy is also a good insurance company. I have a 40k policy for one of my cars and it is $340 a year full coverage no deductable.