View Full Version : My new 390 CS will be delivered Monday 5-23-05 updated

390cs68rcode
05/22/2005, 01:47 PM
Got the heads up from the transport company. Great, looks like I won't get much sleep tonight.

;D

Mosesatm
05/22/2005, 02:36 PM
That's too bad about the sleep thing. We all feel sorry for you. :'(

68gt390
05/22/2005, 03:54 PM
I can relate to that. I remember the day I loaded mine on the hauler out in Seattle. I was on the computer every night tracking the progress of the hauler. The day before it was to be delivered all I did was prance around the house. My girlfriend thought I was nuts.

Don 8)

390cs68rcode
05/22/2005, 04:03 PM
My girlfriend thought I was nuts.

but we are when it comes to our cars. ;D

rvrtrash
05/23/2005, 09:45 AM
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;D

Steve

390cs68rcode
05/23/2005, 10:42 AM
should be soon! ;)

Mustanger
05/23/2005, 10:45 AM
should be soon! ;)

Will this car now be your daily driver or will it come out on special occasions?

BrandonB
05/23/2005, 10:48 AM
its almost noon already! should have been here 6 hours ago!!

390cs68rcode
05/23/2005, 11:00 AM
should be soon! ;)

Will this car now be your daily driver or will it come out on special occasions?

Aisde from when it rains I have 5 daily driver Mustangs. I have to admit the 390 will be at the top of the list.

Joes68
05/23/2005, 08:01 PM
JB, mine is getting picked up this Wednesday. I hope it arrives on Thursday. I'm already a wreck! I can relate and feel for you. Hang in there :-\
Ron

390cs68rcode
05/23/2005, 08:33 PM
quick update

car arrived today. exterior is in great shape! interior will need some sprucing up. gonna have to add AC and might go with a aftermarket radiator since driving around with ice cold AC and having to not worry about overheating is VERY important.

anyone know if someone makes a GOOD modern radiator that looks similar to the originals?

Does vintage air products have a AC system that looks somewhat stock under the hood? I am OK with the unit under the radio for air output instead of the factory locations.

Mustanglvr
05/23/2005, 08:52 PM
I`m so happy for you. How does the engine sound? Have you driven it yet? Post lots of pics ok? :)Rhonda

nfrntau
05/24/2005, 07:33 AM
Jason,
Vintage air has a system that will install in place of your original heater.
It will give you a better heater, A/C and use the original heater controls for operation.
As far as the compressor goes I will be using the modern type but I think they also have the original type compressors in kits. I will e-mail you a file that shows installation and has costs/ etc.
Let us know how it goes.
If you need help with the install just let me know, be glad to help. It will help me out also cuz this is the system I plan on putting in my car. If you don't have the required tools I should have everything we would need to put this in your car with the exception of the freon and guages. Also I just took my original system out recently so have pics, the parts to look at and a little know how there.
If anyone else would like this info just drop me a quick mail and put "GT/CS air" as subject

case12
05/24/2005, 07:43 AM
Another option is to add an electric fan to the original radiator, in addition to the belt driven fan. This was done to my 66 when I got it from Texas and it never overheats (and it has a very hot 351W). It is wired to the ignition, so I can leave it on after shutting the car off in the garage or at shows, and I can let it cool down even without the engine running.

Just a thought - if that is the direction you dont mind going it, it does work. Casey

390cs68rcode
05/24/2005, 08:07 AM
Another option is to add an electric fan to the original radiator, in addition to the belt driven fan. This was done to my 66 when I got it from Texas and it never overheats (and it has a very hot 351W). It is wired to the ignition, so I can leave it on after shutting the car off in the garage or at shows, and I can let it cool down even without the engine running.

Just a thought - if that is the direction you dont mind going it, it does work. Casey

now THIS might be a fix! not sure if there is enough room with the 390 but will look.

Off to John's Mustang for a few parts and then calling NPD.

on a side note one of my cars (not a CS) will be on the new John's Mustang catalog due out in June.

case12
05/24/2005, 09:56 AM
The fan sits in front of the radiator, so I dont think engine size matters (for space). Also, by sitting in front it is behind the grill and also not noticeable at shows. Mine mounted by merely pushing plastic screws through the original radiator fins - so it sits right on the front of the radiator. There are probably different styles. Casey

Mustanger
05/24/2005, 10:44 AM
quick update

car arrived today. exterior is in great shape! interior will need some sprucing up. gonna have to add AC and might go with a aftermarket radiator since driving around with ice cold AC and having to not worry about overheating is VERY important.

anyone know if someone makes a GOOD modern radiator that looks similar to the originals?

Does vintage air products have a AC system that looks somewhat stock under the hood? I am OK with the unit under the radio for air output instead of the factory locations.

I've heard/read from other mustang owners that they like Classic Auto Air (http://www.classicautoair.com/). They have some nice systems which either utilize a modern Sanden compressor or origional type compressor. Also your choice of R-12 or R-134.
Plus, they have an additional fan to keep everything cool 8).

390cs68rcode
05/24/2005, 11:05 AM
casey

thanks for the input. I think I am going to go this route.

I will be installing the classic auto air system. Talked to them this morning.

Mustanger
05/24/2005, 11:24 AM
casey

thanks for the input. I think I am going to go this route.

I will be installing the classic auto air system. Talked to them this morning.

Jason,
Which Classic Auto Air system/options did you choose? I've been on another Mustang board and I've seen other Mustang owners debate the pro's and con's of their A/C systems (factory type vs daily driver type, and brand names, e.g., Classic Auto Air vs Vintage Air), ... most people seem to be happier with the Classic Auto Air product.
Anyway, keep cool 8).

390cs68rcode
05/24/2005, 12:02 PM
CAN'T REMEMBER THE MODEL BUT IT IS THE ONE THAT INSTALLS INTO THE DASH AND LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE FACTORY style (2 vents on side and one in the middle).

PNewitt
05/24/2005, 12:05 PM
Using one of those aftermarket compressors is always a better way to go--over that "boat anchor" original version.

What about getting some original A/C registers (middle of dash, and at each end of lower dash), and hooking up the Classic Air hoses to them?

Congrats on your new "baby". Maybe there are some hidden treasures, like build sheets, etc., under the seats, dash and carpet??? Does it have a build tag on the left front of the core support?

Paul N.

390cs68rcode
05/24/2005, 02:50 PM
Using one of those aftermarket compressors is always a better way to go--over that "boat anchor" original version.

What about getting some original A/C registers (middle of dash, and at each end of lower dash), and hooking up the Classic Air hoses to them?

Congrats on your new "baby". Maybe there are some hidden treasures, like build sheets, etc., under the seats, dash and carpet??? Does it have a build tag on the left front of the core support?

Paul N.

I will probably use the supplied vents and then upgrade if it needs it to look more original at a later date.

I will be looking for the build sheet soon (instrument bezel replacement coming) but doubt it is there. the car has been pretty much restored so I would assume they took it out but we shall see.

no build tag

I was replacing the thermostat today and broke the thermostat housing so gotta get a new one tomorrow.

390cs68rcode
05/24/2005, 07:56 PM
starting the small things I like to do to my cars. Today I replaced the mustang scripts on the car, installed a reconditioned instrument bezel, lenses, painted the needles and took out the clock to send off for quartz movement installation. Also installed under dash courtesy lights. went to replace the thermostat (pretty sure it was stuck) and broke the thermostat cover. Guess I wanted to make sure of no leaks and overtightened. Will get a replacement tomorrow.

over the next month or two I will be doing all the little small stuff to the car to make it show worthy. I (my shop)will be installing a AC unit within 2 weeks, new headliner, door panels and door knobs, etc. Quite a few other little things to do but all in all the car is in great shape.

Sarge
05/24/2005, 08:05 PM
JB,
I guess by your remark of "my shop" means you have "professionals" that can do the work. Please let me know how the install of the A/C goes, as this is a "must have" option for me. I read somewhere (OK I forget where, must be "old-timers disease") that it takes about 8 hours to install the complete kit, and that is if you know what you are doing.

I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!! ::) Keep us informed!
Robert

rvrtrash
05/25/2005, 01:40 AM
went to replace the thermostat (pretty sure it was stuck) and broke the thermostat cover. Guess I wanted to make sure of no leaks and overtightened. Will get a replacement tomorrow.

I don't know if there is a tie in or not, but my factory air car has a thermostat housing with a threaded port that a sensor screws into. When the engine gets above a certain temp., it changes the vacumn path to the distributor so the idle will pick up. You might want to look for something like this since you have to replace yours anyway.

Steve

390cs68rcode
05/25/2005, 05:23 AM
JB,
I guess by your remark of "my shop" means you have "professionals" that can do the work. Please let me know how the install of the A/C goes, as this is a "must have" option for me. I read somewhere (OK I forget where, must be "old-timers disease") that it takes about 8 hours to install the complete kit, and that is if you know what you are doing.

I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!! ::) Keep us informed!
Robert

yep, I have a shop that I use to do most of my mechanic work. the AC supplier told me for a shop that has never done it before expect them to keep it 3 days or so. I think the 8 hour estimate is if you did not stop at all and kinda knew what you were doing. I agree with you also on the adult supervision thing as I need lots of supervision. ;)

PFSlim
05/25/2005, 09:19 AM
When do we get to see pics of the new arrival??

Paul

nfrntau
05/25/2005, 03:32 PM
I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!!
Robert

I need this most of the time, regardless of the project. I have to admit I prefer adult Female supervision :) ;) :)

390cs68rcode
05/25/2005, 03:39 PM
I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!!
Robert

I need this most of the time, regardless of the project. I have to admit I prefer adult Female supervision :) ;) :)

me too, that's why I only hire women to work at my business. ;D

68sunlitgold
05/27/2005, 06:55 PM
If any ones wants a copy, I have the Mustang Monthly "how to" article on installing 67-68 A/C in the car. It is very detailed and has alot of pictures. I plan to install A/C in my coupe once I get to GA this summer (I think I will be needing it with BLACK interior). I also have the CS to compare to since it came with factory A/C. I purchased all the components awhile back but like Paul suggested, I intend to put in a Sanden compressor for better cooling and less HP loss, everything else is stock.

Doug

case12
06/07/2005, 10:10 AM
June issue of Mustang Times (MCA) has a nice Tech article on how to install the Classic Auto Air system - 4 pages and 32 color pictures. Casey