View Full Version : Missing console??

luisa2552
05/25/2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I run into a guy the other day who says his son has as CS. Anyway, he looked my car over and one thing he asked me is if I was replacing the center console. Mine doesn't have one. I looked throught the gallery and it looks as if most have them. Am I refering to the right thing? I am talking about the piece that runs between the seats to under the radio. It looks as if some have a center storage area between the seats-like an arm rest. Mine has nothing. Just the gear shifter with a rather ugly metal plate at the base. Like I said in an earlier post, my car was very basic with just an AM radio. Any thoughts? I'd love to add one...
Sara

Sarge
05/25/2005, 12:53 PM
Sara,
The center console was an option. If you really do want to add it, you can search around and perhaps find one on eBay. The color should match the rest of your interior.
Robert

hcsstang
05/25/2005, 01:57 PM
If you purchase one the next thing to do is longer knobs for the radio. The long ones are rather expensive.

meadowsdk28
05/25/2005, 02:22 PM
Sara,
From past experience, I can tell you they are out there. Mine was vanilla, too. I know have nearly 3. One thing, if your car is an atuomatic transmission, getting a console will be a breeze and cheaper. It took me years to get one for a manual transmission at a reasonable price. Type in 68 mustang console in Ebay. Look at the # of Automatic consoles vs. Manual then look at the prices. Big difference.

One other thing to look at is a HumpHugger console. It is an aftermarket deal that is really nice. I have the larger version that has the compartment/armrest, cup holders and reaches forward of the gearshift. They are nice and look good and priced reasonably at $160 to $180. They also lift right out for shows and things if you want. A really nice automatic console on ebay will run $150 to $400 Approx on Ebay and at least $400 ballpark at a good sell and swap meet. A nice console for a manual trans. will run close to $400 + on ebay and I've seen them priced at close to $700 at the Columbus, OH spring show.

So you have to decide what it's worth to you?

They do look good, though!

coloradoHCS
05/25/2005, 02:42 PM
I am also looking at putting a center console in my car because I like the looks. Mine however is a 4-speed. What is involved in the installation? Does the radio get relocated and can I do this with a dealer installed under the dash A/C?

I have checked out E-bay and did not see anything I liked. There is one there from a 1968 Cougar that they say fits a 1968 Mustang but it does not look right to me. Any thoughts on this?

How about aftermarket for one with a factory correct look?

Thanks, Mark.

Mosesatm
05/25/2005, 03:21 PM
A '67 manual transmission console sold on ebay a couple weeks ago for just over $800.

The only difference between a '67 console and a '68 console is the padding along the edges and on the face. Personally, I like the '67 consoles better but they obviously are not correct for a GT/CS.

When I had my 4-speed GT/CS I never could figure out how to easily get the console in and out of the car. I finally bent the base of the shifter boot in half and squeezed it through the shifter hole in the console.

The radio still slides right into the standard radio slot but i think it's easier to attach the radio to the console first then install all of it at once.

Cougars had the same console but they had a clock or something in the middle of them. I wonder if you could use a Cougar console base and install all the Mustang parts from a trashed Mustang console?

nfrntau
05/25/2005, 03:23 PM
Sara,
This is another item under do what makes you happy. To add a center console that wasn't original, well it's just that. An add-on.
My car didn't have one and I am one of the prople who don't care very much for the looks of them. My car will be going back together without a console.
I feel the interior feels more open and roomy and looks better without it. (MY OPINION)
Before you go out and spend the $$. I would find one at a car show and ask the owner if you can give it a sit, check it out in real time.
Then consider the costs and the visuals and do what makes you happy.
BIll

Mosesatm
05/25/2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, now I'm confused. Ha, big shock there!

I ran a search on ebay for '68 Cougars and found 2 different consoles. One looks exactly like the Mustang console but the other has a clock in the face instead of a sliding door.

luisa2552
05/25/2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Fact is, I do prefer the look without a console, but I use my car about every day and with 2 kids, I need a place for the "stuff". But honestly, except for keeping the engine and transmission that's been changed, I'll probably restore it to original condition. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to be there. In that case, I would add one. I guess my car was a 'plain jane'. Still turns heads though! ;)
Sara

68gt390
05/25/2005, 05:16 PM
Sara;
As stated earlier you may want to take a look at the Humphugger Cruiser console. I have one in my car with 4 speed and love it. It's more functional than the factory console and is easy to install and remove since it doesn't have to be screwed to the floor plus, you don't have to fight the radio install gremlin and the search for the proper radio knobs which are very expensive. It comes with 2 cup holders, spare change plate, center storage and, holder for cell phone. I have seen factory console's requiring repair priced anywhere from $400 to $700 at local swap meets. I have attached a photo of the one in my car. Just a thought.

Don 8)

luisa2552
05/25/2005, 05:24 PM
Don your car is beautiful. Can't wait until mine looks like that. I'll look into the Hump Hugger. I like that it can be pulled out easily. Here's one on ebay for a manual- Mark you might be interested. Not so great looking but maybe restorable? Sara

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7975728942&catego ry=33695

68sunlitgold
05/26/2005, 12:13 AM
All 67 & 68 Mustang & Cougar base will work for a '68 GT/CS. There are some modification that needs to be done with the '67 but it is easily done, if any one wants the details I will post. The 68 cougar base is exactly the same as a mustang. The mustang and cougar XR-7 top pads are different so you will have to find a mustang top pads to be correct.

Doug

coloradoHCS
05/26/2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the link Sara. Now after seeing Don's console which looks great I may look into that. I too have kid's and need a place for cups, etc when driving. I also like the idea that it can be removed when showing the car, Mark.

meadowsdk28
05/26/2005, 10:00 AM
There are some modification that needs to be done with the '67 but it is easily done, if any one wants the details I will post.

Would you mind, too much? I could use it later.

Sarge
05/26/2005, 10:41 AM
If one is looking for storage space, then the Humphugger is the way to go. The Mustang center console has only a small "rolltop desk type" storage area, and it isn't that big...

meadowsdk28
05/26/2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah, that one I was talking about and the one in the picture is a "cruiser console" as pointed out by Don. It is perfect for today's lifestyle. $179 from most anywhere. Well worth it for someone in your shoes with the kids and all.

PFSlim
05/26/2005, 12:37 PM
We installed a console in our car. It came with one when new but was not with our car when we brought the car home for restoration. I looked a lot on ebay and finally found one that was close to the color we needed and in good shape. I purchased it for $250 brought it home and painted it. From NPD, you can buy the vinyl paint and regular paint to put it to the color you need.

I just really like the look of the 68 console. All other ideas are great of course. Just personal preference.

Paul

PFSlim
05/26/2005, 12:39 PM
One more thought. Our car has the pre drilled holes in the flooring because it came with a console. Since yours did not, you would have to drill holes. Not a big issue but would need to drill through carpet, then screw down. Longer knobs are a problem to find and can be expensive.

You can see our console on page 3 of gallery (Paul & Brian Stevenson).

Best of luck.

Paul

hookedtrout
05/26/2005, 05:43 PM
Not a big issue but would need to drill through carpet,
Best of luck.

Paul

Just a side note, drilling through carpet can be an enlightening experience if the bit catches the carpet and starts it twisting. Depending on the weave it can do some really fast unravelling of carpet so be careful.

Hook

Russ
05/26/2005, 06:20 PM
I agree with Hook, drill your holes first, run the screws into the holes, install your carpet, place your console on the transmission tunnel, and find the holes with a long ice pick, THEN install the screws.
Russ

hcsstang
05/26/2005, 08:04 PM
I used the ice pick to punch holes in the floor board. No drilling. I couldn't locate the orginal holes due to the fact I replaced the underlayment so I punched new holes.

hookedtrout
05/26/2005, 08:29 PM
I used the ice pick to punch holes in the floor board. No drilling. I couldn't locate the orginal holes due to the fact I replaced the underlayment so I punched new holes.

Another option is to place the item where it goes and mark the holes with some type of marker on the carpet then take a box cutter knife or sharp knife and cut a 1/2 inch by 1/2 cross where you are going to drill and it will be less likely that it will catch the bit. My fly fishing partner in crime owns a carpet laying business so I learn all this stuff when he stops by and puts new carpet in my house. Nice to have for a friend. He has put new carpet in several rooms in my house for nothing. Just stops by with a roll of carpet that someone didn't like the color of when they rolled it out so he stops by and says you need new carpet in the bedroom lets stuff this in there. I don't argue, the color has always been good enough for me. ;D Free color is my favorite.

Hook

68sunlitgold
05/27/2005, 08:06 PM
For those that wanted to know how to modify a 67 console, I attached a picture of both. You will need to cut the seatbelt cup opening on the 67 (they were set far apart verses close together for 68), just take the piece between them out. At the back near the ash tray, the circle opening needs to be cut into a square (see picture this is for the top metal attachment nuts go through the top pad). The last thing is the 2 small holes in the back of the console to attach the top pad, I suggest placing the top pad on the console to use as a guide to drill these holes, you need to remove the ash tray to get to the metal attachment brace. Everything else is the same.

Doug

68gt390
05/27/2005, 09:20 PM
Doug;
That's great info and pictures. Will help me redo my console in my GT. Leave it to the Air Force to adapt and overcome.

Don ;) SMSgt, USAF, Retired

68gt390
05/27/2005, 10:16 PM
Don your car is beautiful. Can't wait until mine looks like that. I'll look into the Hump Hugger. I like that it can be pulled out easily. Here's one on ebay for a manual- Mark you might be interested. Not so great looking but maybe restorable? Sara

Sara;
Thank you for your comment on my car. Now all I have to do is get it all put back together. Had to have several floor pans replaced and just got the car back today. New carpet goes in again this weekend along with all new seats but, the Humphugger Cruiser Console will be there to. There are actually two different consoles, Humphugger (Short Version) and the Humphugger Cruiser Console (Long Version) which is what I have.

Don ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7975728942&catego ry=33695

68sunlitgold
05/27/2005, 10:44 PM
Here is another pic just to clarify some things in my first post

Doug

68sunlitgold
05/27/2005, 10:47 PM
Last one...here is a pic of the holes on the back...you will note they are bigger than they are suppose to be, I would assume someone tried to take the top pad off with-out knowing it was attached by the metal bracket.

Doug

meadowsdk28
05/29/2005, 05:44 AM
Doug;
That's great info and pictures. Will help me redo my console in my GT. Leave it to the Air Force to adapt and overcome.

Don ;) SMSgt, USAF, Retired

Yeah right!! He's probably in the Army as some liason to keep you fly-boys straight! :D

Doug SFC, Army, Retired

By the way Doug, thanks for the pictures, I will use them!

inves
05/29/2005, 01:02 PM
Has anyone had any luck getting the vinyl replaced on the top pad of a 68' console. My console is in good shape except for the vinyl toppad, any suggestions? Another question, are the '67 and '69 a.m. radios the same as the '68 a.m. radio and will they fit in the sonsole with the longer nobs?