• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Missing console??

luisa2552

Hi all,

I run into a guy the other day who says his son has as CS. Anyway, he looked my car over and one thing he asked me is if I was replacing the center console. Mine doesn't have one. I looked throught the gallery and it looks as if most have them. Am I refering to the right thing? I am talking about the piece that runs between the seats to under the radio. It looks as if some have a center storage area between the seats-like an arm rest. Mine has nothing. Just the gear shifter with a rather ugly metal plate at the base. Like I said in an earlier post, my car was very basic with just an AM radio. Any thoughts? I'd love to add one...
Sara

Sarge

Sara,
The center console was an option. If you really do want to add it, you can search around and perhaps find one on eBay. The color should match the rest of your interior.
Robert

meadowsdk28

Sara,
From past experience, I can tell you they are out there. Mine was vanilla, too. I know have nearly 3. One thing, if your car is an atuomatic transmission, getting a console will be a breeze and cheaper. It took me years to get one for a manual transmission at a reasonable price. Type in 68 mustang console in Ebay. Look at the # of Automatic consoles vs. Manual then look at the prices. Big difference.

One other thing to look at is a HumpHugger console. It is an aftermarket deal that is really nice. I have the larger version that has the compartment/armrest, cup holders and reaches forward of the gearshift. They are nice and look good and priced reasonably at $160 to $180. They also lift right out for shows and things if you want. A really nice automatic console on ebay will run $150 to $400 Approx on Ebay and at least $400 ballpark at a good sell and swap meet. A nice console for a manual trans. will run close to $400 + on ebay and I've seen them priced at close to $700 at the Columbus, OH spring show.

So you have to decide what it's worth to you?

They do look good, though!

coloradoHCS

I am also looking at putting a center console in my car because I like the looks. Mine however is a 4-speed. What is involved in the installation? Does the radio get relocated and can I do this with a dealer installed under the dash A/C?

I have checked out E-bay and did not see anything I liked. There is one there from a 1968 Cougar that they say fits a 1968 Mustang but it does not look right to me. Any thoughts on this?

How about aftermarket for one with a factory correct look?

Thanks, Mark.

Mosesatm

A '67 manual transmission console sold on ebay a couple weeks ago for just over $800.

The only difference between a '67 console and a '68 console is the padding along the edges and on the face. Personally, I like the '67 consoles better but they obviously are not correct for a GT/CS.

When I had my 4-speed GT/CS I never could figure out how to easily get the console in and out of the car. I finally bent the base of the shifter boot in half and squeezed it through the shifter hole in the console.

The radio still slides right into the standard radio slot but i think it's easier to attach the radio to the console first then install all of it at once.

Cougars had the same console but they had a clock or something in the middle of them. I wonder if you could use a Cougar console base and install all the Mustang parts from a trashed Mustang console?

nfrntau

Sara,
This is another item under do what makes you happy. To add a center console that wasn't original, well it's just that. An add-on.
My car didn't have one and I am one of the prople who don't care very much for the looks of them. My car will be going back together without a console.
I feel the interior feels more open and roomy and looks better without it. (MY OPINION)
Before you go out and spend the $$. I would find one at a car show and ask the owner if you can give it a sit, check it out in real time.
Then consider the costs and the visuals and do what makes you happy.
BIll

Mosesatm

Ok, now I'm confused. Ha, big shock there!

I ran a search on ebay for '68 Cougars and found 2 different consoles. One looks exactly like the Mustang console but the other has a clock in the face instead of a sliding door.

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

Thanks everyone. Fact is, I do prefer the look without a console, but I use my car about every day and with 2 kids, I need a place for the "stuff". But honestly, except for keeping the engine and transmission that's been changed, I'll probably restore it to original condition. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't supposed to be there. In that case, I would add one. I guess my car was a 'plain jane'. Still turns heads though! ;)
Sara

68gt390

Sara;
As stated earlier you may want to take a look at the Humphugger Cruiser console. I have one in my car with 4 speed and love it. It's more functional than the factory console and is easy to install and remove since it doesn't have to be screwed to the floor plus, you don't have to fight the radio install gremlin and the search for the proper radio knobs which are very expensive. It comes with 2 cup holders, spare change plate, center storage and, holder for cell phone. I have seen factory console's requiring repair priced anywhere from $400 to $700 at local swap meets. I have attached a photo of the one in my car. Just a thought.

Don 8)

Attachments

• GTCS_Interior.JPG
    GTCS_Interior.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 20

68sunlitgold

All 67 & 68 Mustang & Cougar base will work for a '68 GT/CS. There are some modification that needs to be done with the '67 but it is easily done, if any one wants the details I will post. The 68 cougar base is exactly the same as a mustang. The mustang and cougar XR-7 top pads are different so you will have to find a mustang top pads to be correct.

Doug

coloradoHCS

Thanks for the link Sara. Now after seeing Don's console which looks great I may look into that. I too have kid's and need a place for cups, etc when driving. I also like the idea that it can be removed when showing the car, Mark.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=1724;start=0#msg10873 date=1117087988]
There are some modification that needs to be done with the '67 but it is easily done, if any one wants the details I will post. [/quote]

Would you mind, too much? I could use it later.

Sarge

If one is looking for storage space, then the Humphugger is the way to go. The Mustang center console has only a small "rolltop desk type" storage area, and it isn't that big...

meadowsdk28

Yeah, that one I was talking about and the one in the picture is a "cruiser console" as pointed out by Don. It is perfect for today's lifestyle. $179 from most anywhere. Well worth it for someone in your shoes with the kids and all.

PFSlim

We installed a console in our car. It came with one when new but was not with our car when we brought the car home for restoration. I looked a lot on ebay and finally found one that was close to the color we needed and in good shape. I purchased it for $250 brought it home and painted it. From NPD, you can buy the vinyl paint and regular paint to put it to the color you need.

I just really like the look of the 68 console. All other ideas are great of course. Just personal preference.

Paul

PFSlim

One more thought. Our car has the pre drilled holes in the flooring because it came with a console. Since yours did not, you would have to drill holes. Not a big issue but would need to drill through carpet, then screw down. Longer knobs are a problem to find and can be expensive.

You can see our console on page 3 of gallery (Paul & Brian Stevenson).

Best of luck.

Paul

hookedtrout

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1724;start=15#msg10910 date=1117132769]
Not a big issue but would need to drill through carpet,
Best of luck.

Paul
[/quote]

Just a side note, drilling through carpet can be an enlightening experience if the bit catches the carpet and starts it twisting. Depending on the weave it can do some really fast unravelling of carpet so be careful.

Hook

Russ

I agree with Hook, drill your holes first, run the screws into the holes, install your carpet, place your console on the transmission tunnel, and find the holes with a long ice pick, THEN install the screws.
Russ