• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT Vs GT/CS

Mosesatm

If a '68 GT and a GT/CS were both on ebay and both had EXACTLY the same options and equipment, and both were in EXACTLY the same condition (let's say a 3 year old restoration), which one do you think would sell for more? Assuming none of us bid on the cars.

As much as I like the California Specials I think the GT would bring in a higher bid, even though that makes no sense to me.

What do you think?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I know a guy who has a Boss 429 motor that he took out of his race boat. Maybe you could squeeze it into the engine bay of one of your California Specials. Now that would be an interesting car!

P

PNewitt

Is this a trick question, like: "If a rooster laid an egg on a sharp pitched steel roof, which way would the egg roll down?"

If you mean a '68GT Coupe vs. a GT/CS (which would also have to be a GT, and 302, 390 or 428; if you mean "exactly"), then the GT/CS would have more interest and value.

If you meant a '68 GT fastback, then it gets into apples and oranges. All things considered, one would have to be after a fastback or coupe, and/or into Shelby coupes.

It's a blue sky question, but I get it.

Paul N.

P.S. how does one fit a Nissan into a Ford (and explain it)???

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Non-GT California Special optioned out like a GT vs '68 GT Coupe. Common sense would lead us to think that the GT/CS would be worth more but I think the GT would sell higher just because it is a GT.

The Nissan thing is a running joke, sort of like the Highland Green comments. My first post on this site was about taking a 6 cylinder Mustang and dropping a 265 net H.P. Nissan 3.5L V6 into it. The idea was not well received, except by Casey, who I then declared a genius.

Mustanger

Maybe a fun thing to do would be to compare the prices of these 2 choices by using the NADA price guide:

http://www.nadaguides.com

Per NADA, a base CS can range from $7675 - $25,600 (it naturally increases with each option you add).
:D

Mustanglvr

I figure it should all depend on the rarity of the car. Option for option, which did they make more of? Of course they would both have to be coupes. I think a GT GT/CS has the best of both worlds and should be considered worth more than a straight GT. But like I said it should be based on rarity. Just my 2 cents.
And Nissan? Don`t need no bloody Nissans :p Around here the Hmong people soup those up. I admit they`re cute but they remind me of little Hot Wheels cars, not the other way aound LOL. I`m thinking of selling my Acura to somebody that will want to soup it up. I have had a few offers. Moses, are you interested in a 1987 Acura Legend with a 2700 V6? It sure is zippy. ;D
Rhonda

Russ

As most of you know, I have a Highland green GT hardtop and Highland green GT/CS, and both cars are very similiar, in fact, nearly identical! The GT has a 302 while the GT/CS has a 289. The cars are both Arizona cars, and both are restored. Since there were 4677 GT hardtops produced, my feeling is that the GT/CS is more desireable and rare, hense, more valuable.

I think value is what someone will pay for a car, and this has been an ongoing topic on this site for ages. I have read about "big blocks" vs. "small blocks" until I'm blue in the face, but really, it boils down to the preference of a buyer. My preference is to have a car with A/C, power steering and a 302......that is my GT. But as far as a great looking car, my GT/CS has it ALL OVER my GT!!

Just my thoughts,
Russ

davidathans

I know this is a buyer preference topic question again, but just want to hear a few opinions....

How about a non-GT(originally) California Special with:

Note: When i say new i mean everything has about 5000 miles!
1. 400 Horsepower small block. 347cid, AFR185 aluminum heads, Lunati Cam, Aluminum edlebrock water pump and aluminum edlebrock performer RPM intake manifold. Holley 670 4 barrel vacuum secondaries fully tuned bigger jets.
Holley Fuel Pumps: Mechanical and Electronic by switch in the back with tank. Full MSD ignition system: MSD coil, wires, 6AL MSD Box, MSD Pro-billet distributor, timing module. Custom exhaust: Labree Motorsports double cross over x pipe, magnaflow mufflers, hooker super competition long tube headers.
1/4 mile time: 12.756 at 106.77 Fontana,
60 foot time(with slicks): 1.838 seconds
2. Chrome Rims Cobra R 17"x8"front 17"x9"rear also Aluminum 15x8"Racing Rims with hoosier 26"x9"-15 Slicks included
3. All upgraded disk brakes: Front: Baer Upgrade kit 13" Crossdrilled/slotted zinc washed rotors with red calipers. Rear: Large Disk Brakes from a 79 Lincoln Mark VII rear end
4. All new suspension: Moog front end suspension kit (upper and lower control arms, tie rods, bushings), New V6 mustang springs and Carrera 90-10 front shocks with RanchoRS9000 rear shocks, new leaf springs, Caltracs Traction Bars, Sub Frame connectors.
5. All new drivetrain:ford 9" 4.11 gear limited slip, A-1 racing C4 tranny with 26 spline input shaft with Continental 3500 stall converter, B&M Pro Shifter ratchet.
6. Black Paint Job with white stripes, new black vinyl top
7. Amplified stereo system: Pioneer head unit CD/Radio 4channel coustic amp for all mid/full range pioneer 150W each, Kenwood 600W max for 1 JL 12" W6 subwoofer, 1 Farad Capacitor.
8. Rare Swing away steering wheel column with Lecarra soft black aftermarket wheel.
9. Guages: Autometer Tach, oil pressure, water temp, volts
10. All new weather seals on all doors, new front windshield.
11. Marti Report with original sticker.
12. Has original Black plates
13. Interior: new dash panels, dash pad and cover, head liner, dome light, sun visor brackets, seats have wool covers, back seat is black vinyl

What is my car worth? There is a lot of money invested, do you think i deserve more than $25,000 for this car? Its in the gallery on the 3rd page under David AThans...thank you all for your input.

hookedtrout

[quote author=davidathans link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=0#msg10937 date=1117156723]
I know this is a buyer preference topic question again, but just want to hear a few opinions....

[/quote]

Nice looking car David. I couldn't even begin to tell you what the value of it is, not being the gear head or racing type I couldn't put a value on what you have invested in the engine and drive train. I like the white on black, looks nice. I did notice you are one of those, myself included, that had a rear quarter changed and they drilled the California Special emblem holes incorrect. Mine is on the Passenger side yours is on the drivers side. Your paint looks way to nice to worry about changing it now but if you ever repaint you might want to get it located correct. My paint is toast so mine will be corrected soon.

Hook

Mustanglvr

David,of course its going to be worth more with all that extra stuff in it. I think what we are saying is whats the difference in price between a GT and a GT/CS totally stock having comparible options. The ones with the big blocks are going to be higher because there were so few stock produced. I feel that the GT/CS`s are more desirable because they are just not your typical Mustang. They only made them one year, which is a big plus, since they made GT`s and Shelby`s over several years. Someday the GT/CS`s especially with the big blocks will be the most expensive and most desireable of all the early Mustangs. I`m sure they will be giving the Shelby`s a good run for there money since there are more Shelby`s. Its only a matter of time. We might as well all relax and let time take its course. We know what we have and thats why were always discussing this subject. We drive what we love. My 2 cents more.
Rhonda

68gt390

Since I have both a GT Coupe and a GT/CS both equiped pretty much the same except for tranny and both are 390 cars it's a no brainer - the GT/CS wins hands down for having a higher value. Of course that's just my opinion and we all know how those are!!!

Don ;D

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=0#msg10929 date=1117148154]
Maybe a fun thing to do would be to compare the prices of these 2 choices by using the NADA price guide:

http://www.nadaguides.com

Per NADA, a base CS can range from $7675 - $25,600 (it naturally increases with each option you add).
:D

[/quote]

Checking NADA would be a good idea if their numbers were a little more realistic. They show a GT/CS with a 302 and no other options as $7,900, $14,300, $26,000. Not bad, but they also show a GT/CS 428CJ at $10,400, $18,850, $34,220.

Hey Jason, how many perfect 428CJ GT/CSs would you like for $34,200?

To be fair to them NADA and The Gold Book both show the GT/CS valued higher than the GT in all categories.
What I find interesting is that the Gold Book shows the HCS valued lower than the GT/CS. So much for rarity affecting the value in a positive way. Could it be that the HCS is so rare that very few people know they exist so there is a very limited market for them? Or could it be that the Gold Book is just wrong?

Mustanglvr

Maybe its because the HCS was produced for 3 years in a row. Basically making the GT/CS more rare.
Rhonda

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10945 date=1117174546]
Maybe its because the HCS was produced for 3 years in a row. Basically making the GT/CS more rare.
Rhonda
[/quote]
Yeah, but the 68 HCS and the 66, 67 HCS are apples and oranges. I'm wondering if the Gold book people even understand that? Do they realize the 68 HCS mirrored the GT/CS or if they think it is like the other years as a paint and badging option only? Seems to me the HCS and GT/CS should run the same if not the HCS a little higher due to extremely limited #'s comparitively. I also know (and High Country Bob or Paul, feel free here) that the HCS has consistently been of a lower book value over the years. :(

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here is another theory to ponder, and since it's going to upset some HCS owners I apologize in advance.

I first saw the GT/CS and HCS in a book and thought, "Wow, great looking cars, but what is that blob looking thing on the HCS scoop?"

I think the HCS shield, while it is very artistic up close, can be too much of a focal point when viewed from a distance, and that may just turn off a number of potential purchasers.

But if it was Highland Green and had a Nissan 3.5L in it.......!!

BTW, were any R-model '68 HCSs ever built?

Mustanger

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10947 date=1117201925]
[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10945 date=1117174546]
Rhonda
[/quote]
Yeah, but the 68 HCS and the 66, 67 HCS are apples and oranges. I'm wondering if the Gold book people even understand that? Do they realize the 68 HCS mirrored the GT/CS or if they think it is like the other years as a paint and badging option only? Seems to me the HCS and GT/CS should run the same if not the HCS a little higher due to extremely limited #'s comparitively. I also know (and High Country Bob or Paul, feel free here) that the HCS has consistently been of a lower book value over the years. :(

[/quote]

I don't know exactly how some of these price guides are established, but a car's value is always determined by 3 things: 1) rarity, 2) condition, and 3) market demand.
You could have a concourse, "1 of 1," rare mustang (HCS for example), but if John Public isn't interested (or even aware), then the price/value won't be so high :( .
But if you have a car that might receive a lot of hype at the Barrett-Jackson Auction, then you could sell a non-origional '67 Shelby for $280k :eek: .