• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Grommet Question

P

PNewitt

There is a "donut" grommet that fits on each inside corner of the taillight panel (inside the trunk). The ('65 T-Bird) pigtail from the lights goes through this grommet.

Does anyone know what that grommet is used for--or where it is from? Is it a firewall grommet for the gas pedal? Or is a carryover item from a T-Bird?

Has anyone thought about what this is--or the part number?

I've used this as something unique to the car for (part of) it's authenticity as a GT/CS.

Thanks--Paul N.

rvrtrash

Wow Paul, that's quite a challenge. Here's what I could find out. I have a May '75 edition of the '65-72 Ford Master Parts List. They show the grommet in an illustration of a '68 CS, but I couldn't find it in the T-Bird illustration. The main number is 14616 but when I went to the description pages to find the rest (i.e. C8zz-14616-?) it didn't show up, which means by May of '75 it had already been dropped. You'll have to find an earlier version of the catalog to get the whole number. Maybe someone here has it and can look it up. So- what do I win?
Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

But of course, you get...uh..a Donut! TAA-DAA!!
<<passing to you>> 0 !!Gee-Thanks!!

Interesting.....this needs more research. It's probably some obscure grommet from a '62 Falcon, Montego or Cougar or something...

It's one more thing that I use for authenticity. Clones don't have them.

Paul N. 8)

GTCSNJ

I am missing the taillight grommets on my car and was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable replacement. They defiantly were installed at one time because I have a dust outline that is still visible.

Thanks,
Gary

rvrtrash

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1750;start=0#msg11229 date=1117947062]
But of course, you get...uh..a Donut! TAA-DAA!!
<<passing to you>> 0 !!Gee-Thanks!!

Paul N. 8)
[/quote]

Cool! I've been out of town for 4 days entertaining my grandson and just got back. I'm missing one of my "donuts" so winning one saves me a lot of time tracking one down. You're the greatest Paul! ;D ;D

Steve

C160223

here's a scan of the GT/CS rear from the '75 MPC. I also have the '68 MPC, but it's last revision was Aug '68 and it's too early for any GT/CS stuff. It does show a listing for "14616" but it's not the grommet for the GT/CS.

Attachments

• reargtcs.JPG
    reargtcs.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I did a google search for "14616-Grommet", and this came up:
http://www.vintagesupplies.com/part.phtml?PartID=1992

My guess (for now) is that it's a round floor panel grommet. The English site (Ford parts) says that it's 40mm in diameter--which is close to what we have. Notice that the diagram says to look in the chassis section in the Ford parts book??

Maybe someone could do a comparison to their taillight grommet--and a '68 floor pan grommet?? We'd sure appreciate whomever goes to the trouble to look for this (and photograph them side-by-side for us?).

Thanks!!

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hmmm....interesting. Thanks for looking this up for us!

The "A" designation is big car Ford, and it's versions--station wagon, convertible, etc...

We ought to get this figured out very soon.

Paul.

C160223

haven't found a source for a grommet yet. I did take mine out and cleaned it to see if there are any part numbers on it. All I can find are letters "NE" . here are a couple of pics

Attachments

• grommet1.JPG
    grommet1.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 62

68sunlitgold

Paul,
doing the conversion, the site you found with the grommets in England,
40mm = 1.57in
55mm = 2.16in

If you look at the pictures provided by C160223, the overall width is 1.5in so it is smaller than the one in England.

I guess we keep on looking.

Doug

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hey John P, cool pics! Thanks for going to all the trouble to clean one up and photograph it! BTW--nice website and nice CS, too!

I'm thinking that this is a T-Bird part, or some sort of floorpan grommet. Are there any '62-68 T-Bird experts out there that would know about this?

Thanks again--(and thanks, too, Doug!)

Paul N.

Robbie273

I know this is an old post but has anyone been able to locate these original grommets for the tailight harness? My brothers car is being painted and I would like to locate a set for him. I looked at my car and mine are also missing.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

For now, you might consider using a Mustang/Ford/Fairlane, etc. firewall grommet for the throttle rod as a quick solution.

The taillight version had a "C8ZX" prefix, which was the Musclecar Program number (X).

Cut from the outer edge to the middle, to get it to install aroud the wire harness.

I'm still looking for what they used. I don't think it's '64-'65 T-Bird wiring#.

Paul N.

somethingspecial

I just pulled the 65 TBird wiring loom i robbed from a doner car. It has two size grommits, one 1 3/4" OD, with a min. grove diameter of 1.5 in. The second grommit is 1.5 in. OD, with a min. inside groove dia. of 1 in. The plugs on a TBird are behind the taillight assy. where the GT/CS is in the trunk. So the grommit is on the main TL loom, not the TL assy loom. There are no #s on the grommits. Both grommits are cone shaped, like those on the firewall. Hope this helps, Sorry no picture tonight, I'll try to post some tomorrow. Mike

Robbie273

Tailight grommet year?

I purchased the accelerator grommet and it is too big. The 1967-68 grommet was larger than the 65-66 grommet so I bought the smaller one. When I got home it was much larger than the one required. The 65-66 grommet measures 1.75 in. inside diameter. Should I be looking for a certain year? I am lost at this point, please help.