• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Latest additions.

hookedtrout

Got my 67 window regulator handles so I can eliminate the plastic crap that keeps breaking, I'll keep an original set of the 68 "Just Because" also picked up an excellent condition year of manufacture set of Idaho license plates. 1968 plates with the number "6888" In Idaho you can run year of manufacture on your plates if you want and no one else has the same number. I've been watching for quite some time and find single plates quite regular with numbers that have no significance so naturally when I saw a pair, in excellent shape and the number 6888 I thought that is as good as you will ever find on year of manufacture so I bid away. ;D

Hook

68sunlitgold

Hook,
Here is the pic of your plates.

Doug

Attachments

• 244684_2_1_.jpg
    244684_2_1_.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 18

Joes68

Speaking of plates, I have the original California black plates and they're looking kind of tired. Does anyone know how to clean them up, re-paint them, or can you request some type of reproduction plates from the state? Any ideas???
Ron

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=Jayscal link=board=1;threadid=1775;start=0#msg11547 date=1118723306]
Here is a link to a place that restores plates back to original condition.

http://www.darrylsplates.com/
[/quote]

Looks like they can also make a duplicate using your original as a mold if it is to far gone to restore. Great site.

Hook

luisa2552

My car doesn't have the CA black plates anymore and I'd love to get a set. If I get a set on ebay, will the DMV let me put them on?
Sara

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Every state handles this type stuff differently so the best advice would be to talk to your DMV and make dang sure you explain what your plans are very thoroughly and find out from them.

Hook

meadowsdk28

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1775;start=0#msg11505 date=1118633842]
No idea how to attach a photo to a reply here so here's a link to a photo album full of my junk including a photo of the plates I just added.

http://tinyurl.com/e48oz

Hook
[/quote]
Hook, I was viewing your other photos. Awesome countryside you have in your backyard! Also, that must be "Squeak" in the back ground of a few. Did you have him digging your Jeep out of the mud? 8)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

That would be Squeak and he'll be digging what ever and where ever dad is. We wouldn't have it any other way. Squeak was a late bloomer, I have a 21 year old and 19 year old and then there's Squeak at a meesly spoiled assed rotten 7. I'd rather play with Squeak than anyone else, you sure do enjoy them a lot more the second time around when finances and survival aren't an issue. In fact the thought of him growing up is making me seriously wish I'd have had a couple more to fill in, he's been my life now for the past 7 years and I'll be a lost puppy when he reaches the age of friends are more important than dad.

Hook

meadowsdk28

You've still got some time yet. Then, when they get to be pushing 20 or so and realize you're not satan, they come back around and are even more fun becasue they can truly compete at golf, go-carting etc...Know what I mean yet?

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1775;start=0#msg11689 date=1119017730]
You've still got some time yet. Then, when they get to be pushing 20 or so and realize you're not satan, they come back around and are even more fun becasue they can truly compete at golf, go-carting etc...Know what I mean yet?
[/quote]

Yep I do, my 21 year old is there now. He's a good kid, pretty busy with school and girls and all but he comes out and asks for some wood working help on occassion, shares pretty much all the same interests and talents that I have and I go take him for a ride in the CS every once in awhile and he sure appreciates it. Even let him drive last time, he was grins from ear to ear. He grew up looking at the car but I never did have it out and about while he was old enough to drive till this year so it's a new experience for him.

Squeak will be the lucky one as far as sharing in the restoration with me as he'll be in my back pocket hauling off the tools the entire time just like he has so far. The difference between now and 15-20 years ago, I accept that as the way it's supposed to be and I tease him and if we can't find the tool I just go buy another one, it isn't worth the hassle of being an ass about it, the entire process is more beneficial to him than it is to me anyway. I'm in no hurry, at least not until Paul starts setting some firm get together dates and even then if it's not ready I'll at least have it running so I can go play too.

Hook

Hook

68gt390

Hook;
This is a set of original Ohio 68 plates I found on ebay. The neat thing with them is they still have the original 68 local tax stamp on them and in pretty good shape. Ohio allows you to run original year plates as long as they are attached on your registration for your historical tags and you carry them in your car. The historical tags only cost $23.95 and are good until 2050. One time registration. I kinda lucked out in the fact that 68 Ohio plates were white with red lettering. Matched the car pretty good.

Don ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Sweet, the only thing that would have made them better would be if they had your name, or GTCS or 1968 for numbers. They still look awesome. I haven't made it to the DMV to check on what I need to do to get my 68 plates on the car. I know you can run year of manufacture plates but I haven't done it yet.

Cory

BroadwayBlue

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1775;start=0#msg11575 date=1118781980]
Every state handles this type stuff differently so the best advice would be to talk to your DMV and make dang sure you explain what your plans are very thoroughly and find out from them.

Hook
[/quote]

I agree!
In NY for example plates must be original - they cannot be restored or re-painted.

Of course my thought is, once I register it who's going to come back and check if I get them restored?

In NY you can only register with Vintage plates by mail, not in the offices, they are the same as Historical so you need HISTORICAL on your insurance cards. You also need to send them pictures of the plates front and back.

I got most of the info off of the dmv website and with one call.

Although I read that NY won't allow vintage plates to be used that are on current plates. The person I talked to said they will allow Vintage and Current plates with the same numbers.

Bottom line ... get the scoop before you buy.

Rich