• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Plates: Black or Personalized

Mustanger

There are many CS's out there that are fortunate enough to still have their original black California plates. Then there are the ones which don't; however, some have created personalized plates that are pretty cool 8).

Examples: 68GTCS, 390 GTCS, HCS-STNG, 1YLD HCS ("1 Wild High Country Special", on Scott Williams's one-of-a-kind HCS built in Dearborn instead of San Jose like other HCS Mustangs. - Is this true? Can someone confirm this?), etc.

Question: Have any of you seen some cool personalized/vanity plates on CS's out there, and what did they say ?? ;D

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=0#msg13390 date=1123778525]
A HCS built in Dearborn? Does it have a Denver DSO?
[/quote]

I sent Scott (the owner) an email. We'll see what he says ... stay tuned ;)!!

Hoop69Mach1

I'd like to get the black plates on my car, don't know if I can get them though. Suppose will have to settle for the ole personalized ones.

hookedtrout

Here's one way to go. First let me say all states handle this different so I'm basing it on Idaho. In Idaho you pay extra every year during registration for the privledge of having personalized plates even though they thank you for "Beautification of the Highways".

Here's what I did, got personalized plates that say "GTCS", ran them for a couple of years then I put the car in storage and let the plates expire. I just recently pulled it out of storage and put regular plates on the car when I registered it as I didn't want to go through the process of checking on the GTCS plates to see if anyone else had taken them.

I have now purchased a matched set of original year of manufacture, 1968, Idaho Plates that have the number 6888 on them. I am going to see what it entails to get them on the car, if someone else has this number I may not be able to use them. However if I ever show the car I will put on the personlized plates or the 1968 plates specifically for the show and take them back off for driving so the plates don't get scuffed or ruined during everyday driving. As long as I don't drive the car with the plates on no big deal.

Hook

luisa2552

Hoop69, I'm in CA too and I checked with the DMV about putting black plates on (you can get them cheap on ebay). They said you can't do it unless it was the original plates. Then someone metioned reproduction plates. Haven't looked into that. Anyone??? I have the original plate number on old documents.
Sara

GTCSMustang

California has something called the YOM law. YOM stands for Year-Of-Manufacture. You can only put YOM plates on your car if the car is pre-1963. Black and yellow 1963 - 1969 plates are not covered under this law and therefore it is not allowed. The only exception is replacing the original black and yellow plates. For instance, I recently purchased a 1968 Mustang in Arizona that was originally a CA car. The car was registerd in AZ but the person still had the original black and yellow plates and the registration from the late sixties to prove the plate number. So when I brought the car back into CA I was able to put those plates back on the car and register the car with those plates. A car not originally in CA or from CA cannot be registered with the black and yellow plates.

Scott

luisa2552

I checked out the CA DMV site and tried different plate ideas, like '1of4118'- taken 'special' and different spellings- all taken. Different combos of GT/CS and numbers are available. I've got to rack my brain and think of something good!

Sara

ironhorse

Sara,
What about "CAL4NIA"? That's what I got for my GT/CS when I brought it to Alberta from Arizona five years ago. BTW, I have the original black California plate on front, so I guess I have the best of both worlds.
Kevin

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=0#msg13392 date=1123779288]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=0#msg13390 date=1123778525]
[/quote]

[/quote]

... meanwhile, back at the ranch (insert cricket sounds ;)) ... no word from Scott :(. Oh well ::), either his posted email (from the website) is no longer valid, or he hasn't been able (or doesn't want) to respond ...

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=0#msg13389 date=1123776824]
There are many CS's out there that are fortunate enough to still have their original black California plates. Then there are the ones which don't; however, some have created personalized plates that are pretty cool 8).

Examples: 68GTCS, 390 GTCS, HCS-STNG, 1YLD HCS ("1 Wild High Country Special", on Scott Williams's one-of-a-kind HCS built in Dearborn instead of San Jose like other HCS Mustangs. - Is this true? Can someone confirm this?), etc.

Question: Have any of you seen some cool personalized/vanity plates on CS's out there, and what did they say ?? ;D

[/quote]

Some more personalized plate examples 8):

GLDNGT -"Gold Nugget", on a gold '68 Mustang

GR8OL68 - "Great Ol' '68", on a '68 Mustang coupe

GTCS390 - On a GT California Special with a 390 Big Block

HCS-TMBR - "High Country Special, Timberline Green"

HIKNTRY - "High Country", on a '66 High Country Special Mustang

BUTHONEY - The first words out of my mouth when the wife says I can't buy another Mustang!

nfrntau

Sara, if the reproduction plates are very good, I wouldn't say a word about them being repros and try to use them.
Personally, I would tell the person behind the counter I had them restored (to explain them looking new).

When I lived in Calif. my personalized plates read "NFRNTAU" I know, what a surprise. I still have these plates. I think the DMV/DPS keeps a record of all numbers issued in thier states. If you have the plates, you still have the right to re-use them, they will not re-issue the same number/name to a new plate holder. The important thing is to retain both plates if you are in a two plate state.

Cheers and good luck
I have 68 Texas black and white plates "RBN 955" no meaning, bought them off E-bay. The original Calif plates are up on the shelf just in case.

Mustanglvr

I have Texas black plates for my GT/CS but they do me no good here in Minnesota. I wonder if a person could get black plates from Minnesota? I would be willing to trade.

Nfrntau,
If you don`t mind me asking, how much did you have to pay on Ebay for the Texas plates you bought? I`m curious about what they are actually worth. Rhonda

nfrntau

I paid about $40 for the pair.
Because they now look very different than the modern plates, I think the original year plates stand out as much as the new name plates. As a bonus you don't have to pay more every year for the priviledge of displaying them on your car.
Are the Min plates black also?
The Ca. are black with yellow and the Tx. are black with white letters. (I guess you already knew that) ;)
That's for the folks who didn't.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=15#msg13518 date=1124241724]
I paid about $40 for the pair.
Because they now look very different than the modern plates, I think the original year plates stand out as much as the new name plates. As a bonus you don't have to pay more every year for the priviledge of displaying them on your car.
Are the Min plates black also?
The Ca. are black with yellow and the Tx. are black with white letters. (I guess you already knew that) ;)
That's for the folks who didn't.
[/quote]

another tidbit of info on Texas plates:

in 66 and 68 the plates were black with white letters. In 67 and 69 they were white with black letters. I could go on about each year if I were at home, I have a complete collection of Texas plates from 1917 to 1976 on my garage wall.

66 6F HCS

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=4;threadid=2016;start=0#msg13392 date=1123779288]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes it IS real.

Sorry I've been out of the loop for over a year guys. I've been busy with a new job working with Homeland Security and restoring a '69 Sportsroof into a quasi Shelby Boss 302 TA racer.

I haven't touched the HCS in 3 years and it's currently for sale.

Check out my website for info on all of the above.

http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

Attachments

• wallpaper8c.JPG
    wallpaper8c.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 12

Mustanglvr

Nice 69 fastback Scott.

Nfrntau, I`ve never seen black plates from Minnesota so I don`t know what color they were.

Rhonda