• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Why we Forward Jokes

Mosesatm

Someone forwarded this to me and being a dog lover it darned near made me cry!!! Thought you might enjoy it.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open. "Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't allow pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the man. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's interesting," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."

Soooo...

Sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding jokes to us without writing a word. Maybe this will explain.

When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do? You forward jokes.
When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes.
When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how, you forward jokes.

Also to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, you are still cared for, guess what you get? A forwarded joke.

So, next time if you get a joke, don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile, or let you know you are welcome at his or her water bowl any time.

Mustanger

A very similar storyline, about Heaven and the man's dog, was used for a Twilight Zone episode once ... some of those shows were classics :) ...

quicknick

You beat me to it Stanger. That was an old black and white Twilight Zone episode. A true classic.

hookedtrout

[quote author=quicknick link=board=4;threadid=2143;start=0#msg14506 date=1126846016]
You beat me to it Stanger. That was an old black and white Twilight Zone episode. A true classic.
[/quote]

I saw that one too. Definitely when television was good.

Cory

rvrtrash

Kind of makes me wish I'd watched TV as a kid. Everyone keeps telling me about different shows from the '60's and '70's and all I can do is give them a blank look. I guess that's what I get for growing up in a rural area where there was more going on outside than in front of the tube.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=4;threadid=2143;start=0#msg14510 date=1126855405]
Kind of makes me wish I'd watched TV as a kid. Everyone keeps telling me about different shows from the '60's and '70's and all I can do is give them a blank look. I guess that's what I get for growing up in a rural area where there was more going on outside than in front of the tube.
Steve
[/quote]

Funny thing with me is I grew up the same way, we didn't even have tv reception so it wasn't really an option. We could get one channel decent and the other two were nada. Most of these types of shows I've seen recently on Dish on the oldies channels. Sure were better shows than the modern stuff as far as content. When it comes to special effects and acting I guess the modern day movies take that hands down.

Hook

rvrtrash

I guess we're just a couple of hicks from the sticks. ;D
Steve

Mustanglvr

I grew up on a farm in South Dakota and all we had was an antenna for our tv. All I knew about cable was that thats what they used in the mountain states, cuz an antenna would`nt work. Well, thats what my parents told me anyway. Rhonda

68 special

I grew up in a rural area of So. Oregon and all we had was 1 channel if the weather was just right. So, we spent alot of time outdoors hunting, fishing, biking. It was alot better than sitting in front of the tube or computer. Guess I shouldn't knock computers. It's not like I sit here all day. Well now, better get up and find something productive to do. I know, tinkering on my car, lots to do there.

See Ya, Bret

hookedtrout

Sounds like there was quite a group of us that were reliant upon good weather to get the one station that would come in so we could watch the football game in black and white. Wasn't any cable in my neck of the woods, in fact cable still isn't an option at my parents house. They do have a dish however.

I can remember when the Sattelite dishes first came out and you had this huge dish in the back yard and you got every channel under the sun. Then they started restricting/scrambling it and you relied on the local pirate with the $50 chip that would unscramble everything that they had scrambled and eventually that was to much of a pain to even bother with so you had this huge dish out back that acted as a back stop for the kids playing baseball. Now I get all the channels including local networks through a little tiny dishes and pay out the butt for it all and all I watch is a little news, the Red Sox, a little football, tons of cartoons and once in awhile a movie if it looks good.

Cory