• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Is it Real?

retroman99

I am the 3rd owner of a GT/CS. At least all indications are that it is an authentic GT/CS. I knew the 2nd owners who bought the car in 73. The car shows no signs of rear end repair/damage but the car does not have the rear deck or end caps and tail lights but does have every other feature. I validated the options through the VIN numbers and it appears it came from SJ and did include the GT/CS options. Does anybody know of any other cars built this way. Im close to deciding to look for some authentic GT/CS parts and making the changes but I am concerned that this could be the way it actually came from the factory. I hear Tony branda makes some good repro parts? I imagine it would be next to impossible to find some authentic parts laying around. Any suggestions and or help comments would be appreciatted

68sunlitgold

retroman99,
If your car has the standard tail light panel and you believe it has never been repaired, I would say it is not a CS. Here is a pictrue of what the panel looks like from the inside, you can see how the panel has cutouts in it for the T-bird lights.
Now, the fist owner may have had it repaired, and elected to use the less expensive standard mustang rearend parts. As Jon said, the only way to actually be 100% sure, is to get a Marti report. Good luck and I hope you have a real CS!!

Doug

Attachments

• Tail_light_panel_interior.jpg
    Tail_light_panel_interior.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 8

68sunlitgold

Here is another picture of what the panel looks like from the outside, this is not my car.

Doug

Attachments

• panel_with_cutouts.jpg
    panel_with_cutouts.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
R

retroman99

[quote author=admin link=board=1;threadid=264;start=0#msg1311 date=1047829991]
Have you done a VIN report on it yet? It should at least confirm it's a GT/CS.
[/quote]
I did confirm through a marti report that it did come with the GT/CS options. but that is as much info as I could get Thanks

68sunlitgold

I would then say that sometime in the past, your car had something done to the rearend....but that is an unusual repair if it was put back to the coupe style and not the CS. Does your car have the side scoops and front end components, Marchal/Lucas lights, hood locks? You have a very unique car.
Doug

OP
OP
R

retroman99

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=264;start=0#msg1323 date=1047867079]
I would then say that sometime in the past, your car had something done to the rearend....but that is an unusual repair if it was put back to the coupe style and not the CS. Does your car have the side scoops and front end components, Marchal/Lucas lights, hood locks? You have a very unique car.
Doug
[/quote]Yes it has the scoops hood locks and fog lights all of which look very original. I agree with you seems odd that somebody would convert it back. And I really hate to put a bunch of after market glass on the back end.

68sunlitgold

Unfortunately, repro fiberglass maybe the only way to go unless you can find the original stuff and that can sometimes be very hard on the wallet. :p

Doug