• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Marchal Bracket Rivets

x-codegtcs

Anyone know where one can pick up the semitubular rivets and a hand rivet setter for the Marchal Fog light brackets? I have seen too many restored GT/CS's with pop rivets.

Thanks!

Bryce

68sunlitgold

Bryce,
I too have been looking for a place for the Tinner rivets. I found a place in LA called Hanson Rivet & Supply Co but they do not have the exact size. They will however make them to order, I have not had a chance to ask them the cost and how many someone needs to purchase.
Doug

68sunlitgold

Bryce,
I plan on doing it very soon, I have been very busy lately. I will post the info here when I find out the cost.
Doug

Russ

When I started the restoration of my GT/CS, the very first thing I started with was the restoration of the grill. I found a company in Plymouth, MA that had aluminum "tinner's rivets" for the grill, and all I could purchase was a 1 lb. box of these rivets. These rivets match the specs found in Paul's second book.

So, here is the deal, it takes 10 rivets per grill. If anyone on this site would like a set of rivets, send me a SASE and I'll send 12 rivets to you at no charge, until the supply is gone! If you have more than one GT/CS, I'll send more than one set.

Mail the envelope to: Russ Furstnow, 4030 N. Lugano Way, Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Hope this helps,

Russ

Talan423

my local hardware store sells these rivots individually but nobody seemed to know how to "set" these rivots so they "mushroom" out evenly on the underside of the grille. i asked a few toolmakers at work about these rivots and they seemed to remember a special tool they used in machine shop in high school back in the 70's but nobody had any idea how to get this special tool. i ended up using a "split-backed" rivot with the same head on it as the hollow rivot, i just had to spread the ends out similar to a kotter pin. if anybody ever findsout about this special tool and what it's called, i'd like to know too so i can put the correct rivots in my grille.

thanks
tom

Russ

The item is called a "rivet set" and they are difficult to find because few people connect items together usng rivets. I also restore Model T Fords and you have to have these tools to complete resotrations. Rivet sets for riveted brake lining works on a tubular rivet as it "splays" the tubular end of the rivet over evenly. The aluminum rivets I used on my grill were hammered flat, not rounded over, with a rivet set that came from my grandfather. There is a company called "Big Flats Rivet Company" found in the east and they might have this tool as they cater to antique (teens and twenties) auto restorers. Hope this helps, Russ

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Thanks. I remember a hand setting rivet device (very long handles) from my last job. I didn't know if anyone would have a lead on it or not.

Thanks.

miller511

Marchal Bracket Rivets? For Russ Furstnow

When I started the restoration of my GT/CS, the very first thing I started with was the restoration of the grill. I found a company in Plymouth, MA that had aluminum "tinner's rivets" for the grill, and all I could purchase was a 1 lb. box of these rivets. These rivets match the specs found in Paul's second book.

So, here is the deal, it takes 10 rivets per grill. If anyone on this site would like a set of rivets, send me a SASE and I'll send 12 rivets to you at no charge, until the supply is gone! If you have more than one GT/CS, I'll send more than one set.

Mail the envelope to: Russ Furstnow, 4030 N. Lugano Way, Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Hope this helps,

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm looking at fabricating a new CS grille from a NOS '67 grille and Marchal brackets from Delta Bay Mustang.

Do you still have rivets available? I've found them online, but don't really need 1000 ;-)

Thanks, Jeff

somethingspecial

I used a 3/16 roll pin punch to set the rivets in my grill. It looks like a regular drift punch but has a small nipple on the end to keep it centered on roll pins to keep from flaring out the end. It worked great and looks like the original roll over as the original. It take to people to do it, as one person has to hold the grill while the other sets the rivet. Mike

miller511

Thanks Mike.

I know eventually, after I gather all the parts, I'll need to think about how to assemble the grille.

Setting the rivets will probably be the trickiest parts.

I also noticed that on the Delta Bay Mustang Marchal brackets there is not a LH and RH die stamp on the back side of the brackets. I would like to try to add those to the back of the brackets like my originals.

-Jeff

somethingspecial

Jeff, Marking the LH and RH is no problem. I have seen several different fonts for those marks, Some look like they have been stamped, and others look engraved. I have several different # and letter stamps, as well as a pantagraph machine with over 40 different fonts. This has to be done before the brackets are assembled into the grill. If you wish, I would be happy to help you with the grill. Mike

miller511

Thanks Mike.

Very cool. I'll definitely take you up on your offer. Maybe we can get together on this in the next couple of months (after I have the pieces in hand).

Does Fat Tire Ale work for you ;-)

Will be in touch via PM.

Thanks again, Jeff

P

PNewitt

Russ-- what a guy to offer these to folks for free. Thank you very much for doing that.

Mike-- I should get a photo or two of the rivet crimping process that you mentioned.

thanks, guys!

somethingspecial

Jeff, Sounds good to me, but after the grill is assembled. I can just imagine if we indulged before hand and discovered the brackets upside down. LOL
Paul, I will keep you posted on when this will take place. Mike