• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS for sale, 6-cyl 3-spd manual

StraightSix

My wife and I are selling our beloved GT/CS in order to raise money for the purchase of our first home. The car is verified by Kevin Marti as an authentic California Special. It's a 200CID Inline 6-cylinder with the 3-speed manual transmission. The only options listed on the Marti report (besides the Cal Special option and the standard stuff) is an AM radio, tinted glass, and a remote control driver's side mirror. It is Wimbledon White with an Aqua interior -- very striking.

It is in pretty good shape mechanically since it was driven to me here in Houston, TX from Ohio in 2001. The car was originally a Texas car that the Ohio couple bought and brought up north. They had it up there for only two years (stored in winter) before I brought it back down to Texas. For all intents and purposes, it's a southern car. The car hasn't been driven much since they drove it here to Houston because the brakes are a bit weak (working on that now -- should be fixed soon). I do start it regularly, and although it could use a carburetor adjustment, it runs strong. I'm not sure of the mileage, as the odometer reads less than the previous title reading (119,xxx vs. 134,xxx). I'm guessing that the gauge cluster has been replaced. Being a 35-year old car, it is mileage exempt anyway. The transmission shifts smoothly without any known problems.

The car is largely rust-free (except for surface rust), though the rear sections of the floor pans need to be replaced and the front passenger section of framerail ahead of the wheel (non-structural - okay to drive) looks questionable and should be replaced. Several of the body panels show signs of dents that have been filled amateurishly. I believe that they are all sound and very usable, however, as far as I can tell. The whole car is covered in a low-quality enamel (looks to be the correct Wimbledon White color, though) and sports amateur LeMans stripes (aka Shelby stripes). Long story short, the car needs body and paint work.

The interior of the car is really pretty good. The carpet is old and faded, but generally clean. The vinyl looks good and is without rips except for a small inch-long section on the outside edge of the driver's seat. There is no dash pad, but it has a cover in its place. The dash is in good shape and shows no cracks. The original radio is there and it works. The guages are crack-free and work, though as mentioned before, they may have been replaced at some point. The glass is in good shape and crack-free all around (!), although the windshield has some wiper scuffs and probably needs buffing out. The rear cardboard package tray is warped and has speaker holes in it (with speakers).

Last but not least -- the GT/CS specific items.

The following items are present and original as far as I've been able to tell: fiberglass end caps, taillight panel, and side scoops (they have the telltale "witness line"), pop-off gas cap. One of the side scoops is slightly cracked but not bad at all. Easily repairable. One of the end caps also need some fiberglass work but is also repairable.

The following items are present and are reproductions: trunk lid (a VERY good reproduction), hood locks and retainers, "California Special" script (might actually be original) and Marchal light brackets.

The following items are missing: original grille (a beat-up '67 grille is on there right now), side scoop screens, and fog light pedestals.

You've probably noticed that I left out the fog lights. That's because one of them is an original fog light and the other is an original driving light bucket with original fog light guts. The only difference in the buckets is a grey grommet (instead of the correct black one). In other words, it has two correct fog lights with the exception of one bucket (or just a grommet, really).

*Whew!* I've tried to be very thourough in listing the car's faults. If you have a question, please ask.

I think I've mentioned everything now except the price. Since I wrote the GT/CS Price Guide, this should be easy for me, right? ;) Well, *conservatively* I feel that the car is worth a tick more than the "poor" value in the guide -- probably closer to "fair." I'm pricing it to sell at $3500. This is less than I paid for it, and is non-negotiable. In fact, the readers of this site are the only folks that get this price :)

I will post pictures shortly. Please email me with your questions or post them here. Posting them here might help everyone out. Please send me an email or call if you would like to discuss a purchase. Thanks!

-Winston
bigtigrrr@yahoo.com
(713) 697-1019

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Pictures that the previous owner sent:

Attachments

• i-1_B_L.jpg
    i-1_B_L.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Pictures taken by me last fall. Yes, I have the Lucas fog lights as mentioned above, they were just off for cleaning during these pics.

Attachments

• 374a.jpg
    374a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
S

StraightSix

I'll get a newer shot of the tail, some interior shots, and some shots of the engine bay up by this weekend. I would like to point out that the pictures make the paint look better than it actually is. Oh, and yes those side stripes are painted on!! ::)

-Winston

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

The Special is sold! ;D :'(

Congrats to the site member who shall remain nameless, unless they decide to come forward.

-Winston

Gandystang

Many thanks to Winston......... For his detailed reporting, E-mails and pic's of a car, he truely knew and loved.

Winston - It is going to a good home and will be well cared fore in true ford family and here at GT/CS.com .

I just couldn't stand thougth of another night with my 6 cylinder GT/CS not having it's mate at cars shows. Two 6 clylinder GT/CS's must be better than one ? That's 1.3% of all 6 cylinders made ( estimated )

Ron

rjw

Congrats Ron!
You know, adding another GTCS to the collection crossed my mind too. I know Winston will be proud that his car was "kept in the family," so to speak, and he can keep future tabs of what you do with it on this site.
Richard

bish

Congrats on your purchase!
Man, I wish I had the space for two cars! ;)

RacingFan

:)Great buy Ron! Congratulations and thanks for helping Winston out! And Winston, although it may be off topic, we expect some pics of the new house as well as invitations to the house warming party...just where the heck are you again????lol ;D

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

You can bet on seeing some pics! You all can drool over the 960 sqft garage/workshop ;D All of that room and no project cars to put in it... for now. Oh, and earlier I hinted at a GT/CS project. Here's another teaser: Route 66 Roadster ;)

I'm in Houston, so if anybody wants to drop by feel free! Just send me an email and I'll provide directions. We close June 13th, if all goes as planned.

-Winston

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sorry I didn't catch any of this earlier. I've been a little distracted lately and not able to get on the forums much.

Anyway, sorry to see you had to sell the car Winston, but I'm glad it's gone to a fellow enthusiast and site member. Congrats Ron!

Winston hopefully you'll stick around and keep your good advise and GT/CS knowledge available to the rest of us. And who knows...maybe that GT/CS bug will bite again once you're settled in to the new house.

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Oh, I'll be sticking around. The Mustang bug is here to stay for me, and if I happen across another GT/CS (especially a fixer-upper) there's a good chance I'll bite.

The wife really wants a '65-'66 convertible, though I don't suppose I can complain about that! ;D

-Winston

Gandystang

Well the car is now in Virginia...... and is in the process of being repaired/ restored. I don't know if Winston knew what condition the car is really in. This car has taken a major hit to the rear driver side. The damage includes both end caps that had been glassed and molded and bondo back on, the inner taillight panel on drive side pushed in 3/4 - 1" and heavy damage to the left side rear qt. All needing placement. The rear glass taillight panel is original but has heavy damage and is very poor repair ( what a shame ) The original end caps are damaged beyond repair and have more repair fiberglass than the original parts. The left side bumper support and trunk floor also have major damage and need replacement. The driver side door has major bondo too.

Who ever was in the car when it was hit, is lucky to be alive !!!! being where it was hit. The gas tank has also been replaceed and must had major damage too.

Anyway ......... First Up-date On white 6-cyl - 3 speed.

Ron