• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

EFI running lean

BrianS

I have a 68 mustang gtcs witch I just finish installing my EFI for a 86-93 mustang. Im using my 68 302 long block with an EFI intake with all new senors and a new main harnes from motorspot SVO and new ecu from motorspot.

The car fires right up but wont hold a idle. I can put my hand infront of the intake to restrick the air flow and it will hold an idle and run right, as soon as I remove my hand it will run like shit and will stall out. there is no check engine light on. I disconect any senor and the light comes on so I know it is working.

I am lost and need help with my problem and no I cant take the car to a shop.

rvrtrash

To bad you can't take it to a shop, 'cause that's what I'd recommend. Since you can't, start by taking a vacumn reading and looking for a vac. leak. Check your fuel pressure to make sure it's correct. EFI runs a lot higher fuel pressure than carb's. Are the injectors firing in the correct order for the older firing order? After that, you'll need an analyzer so you can see what the sensors are reporting. Just because the check engine light doesn't come on doesn't mean all the sensors are accurate. Hope this gets you started in the right direction.
Steve

OP
OP
B

BrianS

yes I know my firing is right and i have plenty of fuel and it shows no vac leak... you see Steve, I need someone that know pasted those steps. but thanks for your input. if you have anything else to and please let me know.

Mosesatm

Probably not going to find too many people like that here. Steve is one of our best, if not THE best.

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Probably not going to find too many people like that here. Steve is one of our best, if not THE best.

Probably doesn't need anyone anyway. According to his signature line, he's done it all.

OP
OP
B

BrianS

all Im asking if someone mybe knows what to do in the problem that im having, to help me narrow the diagnoising time. If anyone has any suggestion please let
me know, and lets not get off the subject im not putting anyone down.
I have taken Steve's advice before.

joedls

BrianS said:
all Im asking if someone mybe knows what to do in the problem that im having, to help me narrow the diagnoising time. If anyone has any suggestion please let
me know, and lets not get off the subject im not putting anyone down.
I have taken Steve's advice before.

I apologize if I misunderstood your prior post. It did seem to me that you were insulting Steve's advice. I'm glad that's not the case. I hope someone can help you figure out your problem. I know I can't.

jk89cat

well heres a good question, are you using the 5.0 ho firing order with the stock 68 cam? with using the 86-93 mustang, requires the ho and 351 cam. the so tbird /cougar /crown /grandmarquis, would be sutible to use for the stock cam if thats what your doing otherwise, you may not have the intake sealed enough for the intake to pull a proper seal , you could also have a bad iac . i will be doing a ho style swap when i get my galaxie done, i want to make a efi/overdrive 67 / 68 gtcs clone / restomod

OP
OP
B

BrianS

Thanks for understanding.
My best bet is to just step back for a week or too and not think about this EFI
problem and go back with a clear mine.

OP
OP
B

BrianS

my firing order on the EFI is the same as the 302 becuase of the main harness
you can get the one that fires the 351 order...... the part # at the end are difernt.

rvrtrash

I just logged back in. Thanks for the compliments guys.:embarass: I don't know what else to say.
Steve

jk89cat

hmm, i think thats your problem, if the pcm you have is out of a mustang , or tuned for one, and your usign the std 302 firing order, that is , its not the same firing order. i really think this is what going on, you have a ho computer and have the engine set up for a std output 302 , in which the cam , pcm, firing order and upper intake are diiferent

OP
OP
B

BrianS

when I was working today, my coworker/buddy told me to pinch the return line to the gas tank to see if my fuelregulator is working. He told me I may need a ajustable fuelregulator to increase the fuel in the line.

So I thought 45-60 on my fuel is in spec, but 60-80 is the right presser to run the EFI. So I pinched the return line and started the car
IT RUNS, IT HOLDS AN IDLE, IT RUNS GREAT!!!!!!
So I now know what to do install an ajustable fuel regulator..

jk89cat

ok, thats a different way of diagnosing it, what kind of fuel pump you running? should be around 190 lph you could just have a bad fuel pressure regulator too

rvrtrash

BrianS said:
He told me I may need a ajustable fuelregulator to increase the fuel in the line.
QUOTE]

Gee- a fuel pressure problem. I wish I'd thought of that.:wink: I'm glad your buddy at work could help you out.

Steve