• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Somewhat Off-Topic: Route 66 Roadster

StraightSix

Okay, I can't stand it anymore. My idea is really taking shape (good thing ideas are free) and I want to share! Here is a photo from the Gallery (my apologies to the owner) that I hacked up to approximate my vision of the Route 66 Roadster:

Attachments

• Route_66_Roadster.jpg
    Route_66_Roadster.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Nooooo, I'm not chopping up an original Mustang -- especially not a convertible!

The roadster will consist of a hand-laid fiberglass body using classic Mustang styling cues. I'll probably use some reproduction pieces for parts when I can, such as headlight buckets and Tony Branda fiberglass. It will sit on a space-frame chassis made from either 3/4" or 1" welded square tubing.

Think "Shelby Cobra meets Mustang GT/CS." Or, giving credit where credit is due, "Shelby Cobra meets Shelby GT350."

I've been itching to build my own car for some time, following the rough guidelines of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859606369/202-7018790-7051804

There are a ton of people doing this all over the world, most of them sticking to the Lotus 7 styling. I plan on doing it a bit differently!

-Winston

P.S. It'll be a little while before I start work on this car -- I have a house to buy first! I have had my powerplant for some time, though - a '67 Ford 289-2V. That engine in a 1500-1800 lb car should be exciting!

hookedtrout

I like it too, ;) need to find you an old beat up 67 or 68 and go for it.

Cory

our special

Gee Winston, I was only making minor modifications that could be reversed in hours. Now look what you've done to "our special". Well, now that it's done, I think that we should get the first drive in it. Dave.

68sunlitgold

Winston,
great concept....do you plan on having a convertible top or is it going to be of the "open" variety, either way I think it looks great. As for the subframe, what do they build the kit cars from? I know I have read it before but can not remember. Love the idea and just think of all the head turning when you bring it to your first Ford/Mustang car show. :eek:
Keep us posted.
Doug

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

:D Haha! Didn't know that was your car. Don't look in your garage ;)

-Winston

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=336;start=0#msg1721 date=1051914104]
do you plan on having a convertible top or is it going to be of the "open" variety, either way I think it looks great. As for the subframe, what do they build the kit cars from? [/quote]

Well, I haven't quite decided that yet. I may go with the pure open top, and if it happens to shower when I'm driving it I doubt that I'll care! The open top design will be easier to build, less expensive (convertible top = $$$), and it'll leave more room for things like luggage. I plan on doing some touring with the wife when it's finished. Do you think that she'll mind if we get wet? ;)

As far as the subframe goes, there really isn't one. It's just a body bolted onto a full one-piece frame. The front A-arms (double wishbone) are attached directly to the frame with welded brackets. The rear axle is typically located using rear trailing arms (just one of the rear suspension designs), which are also attached directly to the frame with welded brackets. If any of you are interested in this sort of thing, I highly recommend the following site:

www.mcsorley.net

He's building a Lotus 7 style car, and his "builders" link has web pages for many other people that are building similar cars.

Doug, I hadn't really thought about it but it probably would get a pretty good reaction at a Ford/Mustang show!

-Winston