• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Anyone collect and shoot guns?

390cs68rcode

I recently got into shooting and collecting guns. Right now I really like the early 1900's rifles that were owned by the foreign militarys'. Kinda cool going out to the range and shooting off old military guns that were used in past wars. Anyone else have this hobby? If so let's hear what you have. Anyone else have a CHL?

here is what I have right now in old guns (adding 4-5 more very soon):

1946 Mosin M44
1944 Swiss K31
SKS
AK47
Ruger Mini 14

joedls

Been there, done that. Not the old guns, but many handguns and shotguns. Got rid of my last gun in 1990. Ancient history, sort of like Brownsville. Part of the past I want to keep in the past. :lipsseal:

AZ68

Rookie

I was never into guns, but my husband always has been. I never wanted to have anything to do with them, but he has some kind of old black powder rifle something or other:icon_lol:

He was raised shooting antiques and all kinds of odd stuff. Anyway, he convinced me that I should learn how to shoot, and he bought a 9mm Ruger last year while we were in Alaska. We went out to shooting range several times over the summer and he informed me that I was natural. I actually love it an can not wait to get back to Alaska so we can go shooting more. Unfortunately, living in Mexico for half the year, I don't have a gun here...so the ruger is sitting in a jewelry store vault waiting for us to return. I know it's NOT a special gun, but my husband is trying to get me more into it. And I have to say, he's succeeding!

rvrtrash

I might have an old rifle or shotgun sitting in a closet somewhere. If you ever make it up here I'll see if I can find it and we can go out and shoot it.:grin:

Steve

Diesel Donna

I recently acquired the .22 rifle that Dad taught me to shoot when I was 10 years old. I have a bunch of handguns but my favorite is my Lady Smith and Wesson because it has a smaller grip to fit a ladies hand. Around here I keep it loaded with snakeshot. I have four 'other' ummm...guns but not exactly legal so I ain't sayin'! :icon_no:
I could have had Dad's 30 ot 6 with a scope but I think not!! I'd lose my shoulder when it fired.

I should correct myself, the 4 guns were my late husbands but they are in his sons's storage. If I could get my hands on them I would turn them into the authorities to destroy. They belong to me but I don't want them and I wouldn't sell them because they are not for anything good. I think they are illegal in CA but not AZ, where they are stored. All I need is something for protection and those darn rattlesnakes.

Last edited:

68gt390

Having retired from the Military and having spent some time with the Sheriff's Department I have used and owned a variety of weapons over the years. I have also since given those items up since I know from first hand experience the type of damage they can do wheather used legally or ill-legally. I do however still have a 380 auto which I keep around the house just in case. I'm not against those who use and possess weapons legally, I'm kinda like Joe, I'd rather leave the past in the past. If the time should ever present it's self to where I should need something more than my 380 auto, I know were to obtain them and how to use them.

Don

joedls

390cs68rcode said:
sorry to hear it.

Nothing to be sorry about. I have just realized as I've grown older that I am the type of person that is better off without a gun. Better for me and better for everyone else. Kinda like booze, drugs, gambling, loose women..........
Gave it all up.

Now I enjoy my family and my Mustangs!! :grin: :grin:

nfrntau

I've got an 1884 Springfield from the civil war. Back when I was about 16 some friends and I took a 30-30 shell filled it full of powder and stuffed a rag in the end. It was pretty cool, I'm lucky to still have my head.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

nfrntau said:
I've got an 1884 Springfield from the civil war. Back when I was about 16 some friends and I took a 30-30 shell filled it full of powder and stuffed a rag in the end. It was pretty cool, I'm lucky to still have my head.

Sometimes I wonder how we make it through our childhood, me included. :wink:

Perkchiro

I don't "collect" guns but I have a carry permit and have acquired a few pistols. Ruger 22, Glock 17, Taurus snub 38 and a Taurus P-111 (9MM). I started with the intent of having personal and home protection, but I have acquired the interest of gun ownership, joined the NRA as Life Member and I do enjoy target practice and just shooting for the fun of it. Law abiding citizen gun ownership is a right that should be protected and preserved.

Steve

Mosesatm

I'm neither pro-gun or anti-gun position but I just hope we always remember Columbine and keep the wrong guns out of the wrong hands.

I lived 2 miles from there and will never forget the day those 2 freaks unloaded on the students and teachers. Luckily, none of our neighbor kids were hurt or killed.

Last edited:

Perkchiro

Arlie, Well said.

Interestly enough, we just had an incident in town where three guys beat the heck out of another guy. Ran a car on top of him and then jumped up and down on the car. Nearly killed him and certainly disabled him. No gun involved. Nut cases find all sorts of ways to injure or kill people. Guns, bombs, ball bats, the list is endless. You probably heard about the radical Muslim that ran down a bunch of folks with his car in the name of Allah. You can't take automobiles away from everyone just because some idiot uses one for mass murder, and we shouldn't blame the gun for the actions that took place at Columbine. Just my conservative 2 cents.

Steve

Mosesatm

Perkchiro said:
Arlie, Well said.

Interestly enough, we just had an incident in town where three guys beat the heck out of another guy. Ran a car on top of him and then jumped up and down on the car. Nearly killed him and certainly disabled him. No gun involved. Nut cases find all sorts of ways to injure or kill people. Guns, bombs, ball bats, the list is endless. You probably heard about the radical Muslim that ran down a bunch of folks with his car in the name of Allah. You can't take automobiles away from everyone just because some idiot uses one for mass murder, and we shouldn't blame the gun for the actions that took place at Columbine. Just my conservative 2 cents.

Steve
I'm certainly not blaming the guns. Owning a gun is a constitutional right and those who want to own them should be allowed to until or unless they are proven to be a danger with them.

IMHO the lack of parental supervision, our declining society, and a whole host of other issues are the real problem.....but it's easier for some people to blame guns than to identify and address those issues.

We're just lucky those 2 losers didn't build a truck bomb. That would have killed a lot more people than the guns they used.

Mosesatm

Perkchiro said:
I agree 100%. The societal moral decay is at the root of this problem. What to do?

Restore GT/CSs and HCSs with our sons and/or daughters

Last edited:

Perkchiro

390cs68rcode said:
please can we keep this thread on a positive note. that's what my intention was.

I don't think that posts so far have been negative. Not sure what you're referring to Jason. This is an off topic lounge so I would consider it open for free discussion.

Steve

Mustanglvr

I believe it was`nt the guns that killed the people at Columbine. It was the kid`s parents. They should have known their children better. Those boys were left to do whatever they wanted. Yeah, they were 17 year olds and I think the parents should of been very involved with their kids lives, even at that age. Especially at that age. They should have taken the time to know what their children were capable of.

hcsstang

Every year Gettysburg has a battle field reenactment. It's the largest event covering the civil war. I try to avoid Gettysburg when they have all the activity. I was out antiquing and talking to the owner of the store. He said one of these days somebody going to get hurt. After I got home and was reading the newspaper a guy fron England boroughed a pistol to use during the battle and the pistol was loaded. Luckey he didn't kill anybody but wonded a person.