• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I Need 1965 California License Plates!!!

I'm in need of a PAIR of 1965 California License plates.. :-\ Can anybody out there help me out?? It's all I need to complete my '65 Mustang :mad:

Thanks,
Iyaden ;D

68sunlitgold

lyaden,
I agree with Scott, the best place to look is ebay. That is where I got my set of '68 california plates. Remember california plates from 65-70 (I think that is the end date) are all 65 base plates with stickers, so you can get a later one and just peel off the date sticker. The later years are usually cheaper than the 65 ones.
Doug

Addition, I stand corrected: the base is 63 not 65. sorry for the confussion.

OP
OP
G

Thanks Scott! But i'm looking for a pair of 1965... to make the car completely stock. I've already looked on ebay before I came to this forum, didn't find anything :-[
I know there's a bunch of pairs of 63's which I'm really tempted to buy, but my dad tells me 65's are what I need to be looking for, thanks for the help though! If anybody else out there has some 1965 CALIFORNIA License plates, or knows where I can get them- help please!

-Iyaden

GTCSMustang

lyaden,

The ebay address I gave you are for 1965 California plates. All California plates from 1963 through 1969/1970 (until they ran out) are stamped 1963. They started at AAA 001 in 1963 and ran through ZZZ 999. I've not researched where in the sequence 1965 plates would be but I have 5 1968 Mustangs and they are typically V** *** W** *** or X** ***. It would depend what part of California the car was bought and when. I've seen original 1965 California cars with S** ***. You could look at www.traderonline.com and search for California cars from 1965 and see what the sequences are for original black plate cars. But to put California black plates on your car that start very far from "S" would not be correct, if it originallly came from California. Most people probably wouldn't notice the wrong sequence plate, but there are enough plates out there that you might as well get the correct ones.

Scott

gtcsjcode

I have a 1964 1/2 mustang and that plate starts with a "C" and my 1966 mustang starts with an "S", and my show plate for my Cals Special starts with a "V", you would need a plate that starts with probably an "E" and goes thru probably a "P", I know that these plates were probably sequenced and distributed each year to the DMV's, alot of plates that were issued to DMV's that did not get used just rolled over each year until they were all used up or replaced in 1970 by the classic Blue with Yellow Letters. Hope that helps you with your search. I personally would find a clean set of black plates and carefully scrape off the year tabs untill I got to the 1965 Tag. That tag should be I believe RED in color, 1964 was white and 1966 was yellow. Good Luck. As said in previous reply's, Ebay is the best place to find them, and Meguires does wonders to clean them up.

OP
OP
G

Thanks guys! Sorry Scott, I didn't realize the one you gave me were to 65's because I wasnt aware that all plates were printed in 63 and distributed through 69. Thanks for the info, my search is complete! The help is appreciated... thanks Scott, gtcsjcode, and 68sunlitgold ;D

-Iyaden

sportyworty

lyaden,
I have a pristine unrestored set starting with KJW these would be correct for 1965. I have had several 65 mustangs over the years with black plates. I bought these years ago for a restomod 65 fastback which I sold. I kept the plates as they are my initials but I really have no need for them. If interested let me know price is $75.00.
Worty

OP
OP
G

No thanks Worty... I found some plates on ebay that are a bit cheaper.. but let me know if you would sell for less ;D

Iyaden

OP
OP
G

hmmm... anybody else out there have some 63-69 California plates.. or know someone who does? ;D

-Iyaden