• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A few pictures of my 68.5 Cobra Jet motor

390cs68rcode

We spent 2.5 months making the engine on my 68 CJ correct. Mainly what we had to replace were all the pulleys and brackets. We added a correct smog system, S tube, Heat shield, battery heat shield, distributor, newly rechromed valve covers, ac compressor/clutch, fan shroud, heater hoses, spark plug wires and plugs, starter delay with correct starter delay gasket (thanks Scott), alternator, carb, air cleaner to hood seal (thanks Scott) and a few other items I am sure I forgot. The engine is not 100% concourse correct but it about 95% correct. Had to add the 428 sticker for wow factor when people look at it (not concourse correct).

Been driving it for a few weeks and the other day the AC stopped working, no power. Oh well I guess one more project to complete very soon.

(please excuse the out of focus, my camera lens broke INSIDE the camera on the first shot).

Attachments

• 68engine1.jpg
    68engine1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 68engine2.jpg
    68engine2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 68engine3.jpg
    68engine3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 68engine4.jpg
    68engine4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 68engine5.jpg
    68engine5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 68engine6.jpg
    68engine6.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 68engine7.jpg
    68engine7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 68engine8.jpg
    68engine8.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33

GTCSMustang

WOW. That thing looks great. I always hate when I see a 68.5 with those goofy hood seals. Your's looks great. So does the starter delay. Send me the cap and I'll stamp it for you...or maybe I'll just sign it. OK?

case12

Jason, very nice. Did you use tower hose clamps, or the new worm-screw type (hard to tell in the picture)? My CS currently has the newer screw type, but the previous owner kept all the tower type clamps in a bag, and I was wondering whether to switch over...

Casey

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

GTCSMustang said:
WOW. That thing looks great. I always hate when I see a 68.5 with those goofy hood seals. Your's looks great. So does the starter delay. Send me the cap and I'll stamp it for you...or maybe I'll just sign it. OK?

yep, had one of those tall goofy hood seals until you saved the day and found me the correct one. I might send you the cap at some point. I have someone from the 428 site that is sending me some stamps and cannot remember what he is sending me (I am pretty sure he is sending the snorkel stamp and something else).

Knowing what you are up to (you project that is coming together) I think the signature might be worth more down the road.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

case12 said:
Jason, very nice. Did you use tower hose clamps, or the new worm-screw type (hard to tell in the picture)? My CS currently has the newer screw type, but the previous owner kept all the tower type clamps in a bag, and I was wondering whether to switch over...

Casey

tower clamps! as long as you don't over tighten them they work great.