• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 S-code 390ci GT/CS for sale

classicsguy

I found this car for sale at Trader on line. It looks very nice. Pictures and information can be seen at:
www.parkplaceltd.com

The car is in Washington. Phone is (425) 562-1000

I thought that this Big block might be of interest to anyone in this forum. Price is 22,900 if I am not mistaken. Good luck and let me know opinions of price, condition or anything else that you might consider usefull information.

63alf

Boy, that one really is special: It has sequential rear tail signals (maybe its really a Cougar?),
and they can't decide in their ad whether that 390 motor is a V8 or a V6.

Sounds like these guys don't really know much about the car, other than they want quite a nice
sum for it.

Tom

darb

The sequential tail lights were not an option the GT/CS - and must have been added.

If they stuck a "dynamite stick" (That's what causes the sequencing) into the rear tail panel then they have pretty much devalued the rear light valence. An original valence like that shouldn't be cut up.

-Brad

68sunlitgold

More questionables? ???
- The "California Special" script on the drivers side rear is placed wrong
- The grille is a 68 not 67 to include the outer chrome molding
- Looks like the Lucas light Pedistals are TOO short (and wrong chrome finish)

And I like "Under the hood of this particular car lies the ultra scarce 390 cubic inch V8 that was technically reserved only for Shelbys. A handful of people special ordered this engine in non-Shelby cars and therefore it will be very difficult to find another example." ::)
That's odd because the Shelby never came with a 390 only 289HP & 428 (in 67) and 302, 428, and 428 CJ (in 68).

Doug

This car was for sale at the Mustang Round Up in Bellevue in July this year. He was asking $18,000, but his bottom line was $15,000. It had been a father-son resto project, but the son moved away and the dad didn't want the car anymore. I considered buying it, but it was an obviously amateur restoration and the car had some rust starting to show (and unless it's a REALLY hot deal, I don't "need" another CS and $15K is a lot for me to shell when I already have 5 old cars!). I know it's the same car because of the lack of trim around the shifter, the "crumpled-looking" right inner fender apron (poorly done replacement d/t rust in the battery tray), the color (obviously), and the chrome molding around the grill. It was worth the $15,000, but obviously someone at the round-up bought it and thought hey could make a "quick" $8 grand!

kevin

Banned
Are you the seller of this vehicle classicsguy? This vehicle looks like a possible fake to me. From what i can tell, the quarters have been replaced and done so poorly. Fiberglass decklid and endcaps are non-original, their origin appears to be from the ill fitting Maier Fiberglass. As mentioned before, grill is incorrect, and script is misplaced. Bezels are also incorrectly painted black around the edges, suggesting their off a 65 t-bird. All GT/CS components suggest that this is a complete fake. Just my guess, this car isn't worth even half of what they are asking, that is if it has been restored properly, free of rust, and if its a authentic GT/CS. BUYER BEWARE ::) asking price of $22,950 is a joke that is going to keep me laughing.

What you guys have to check out is the center console or half of.

kevin

Banned
Wow, i didn't even see that. It kind of blends into the rest of the mess. Car doesn't have A/C, much less, factory A/C. Maybe "Father and Son" got tired of spending money on this fake :-\

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Kevin: Thanks for the observations and NO i AM NOT THE OWNER. I just saw the ad and posted it. It was on Collectorcar traderonline.com
I thought that someone on this forum might buy it.

If you look at the other cars on this dealer you will see some very high prices.

To address the Shelby / 390GT statement. Actually YES, some 1968 Shelbys did come with the 390GT engine. I call them "Christmas Shelbys." Due to the Ford strike in the winter of 1968, they ran short of 428CJ's, and some Shelbys left the factory with 390's under the hood.

I see some "red flags" on this car...

Whomever buys this should hopefully get a Marti report first...

Too bad they don't list the VIN in the ad. I could tell if it's within the range of the 390 "period" or not.

PMN

What would the "period" for 390's be? Just curious 'cuz I got one :) :)

Jim