• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Close call...

BroadwayBlue

Hey Everyone ... I haven't been around much the last 2 weeks. Just got out of the hospital after being in for a week, most of it in ICU.

I had some complications from kidney stones and ended up in the hospital with a temperature of 103-104, my blood pressure was real low about 50 something over 40 and my heart rate was very low too. The nurses couldn't believe I was still concious and kept checking if the readings were right. I figured they'd pump me up with IV fluids and antibiotics and send me back home. After awhile my kidneys started to fail. My labs came back showing a possible heart attack. So far they haven't found any damage yet.

They ended up doing an emergency procedure to go directly into my kidney and drain it. That procedure I found out later basically saved my life. They said I wouldn't have lasted another 24 hours without it. I had no idea how bad off I was.

I had a follow up operation done a few days later once I was stable and will have another procedure in a month or so to take care of everything else.

I'm doing ok now just taking it one day at a time.

Remember life is short ... give those close to you a hug and tell them what they mean to you ... you just never know.

Diesel Donna

Whoa Rich!! That was indeed a close call! Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Donna

Mustanger

Wow, Rich, I was shocked to read what happened, but then thankful that you pulled out okay! You definitely have to thank the medical staff for their quick action, and the Good Lord for watching over you ... take care my friend ...

68gt390

Rich;
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Just take your time and ensure you mend properly.

Don

mustangj

Rich
Glad to hear you're doing better, we just never know what each day holds, may God continue to watch over you.
Jason

franklinair

Holy smokers, Rich. You're not allowed to do that!!
Stay well, and be healthy.

Neil Hoppe

ahainline

Glad you OK, Rich. Please do take care of yourself! Time for some R & R!
Was the cause of it your diet or what?

sam

Mustangers are tough!! Glad to hear you are getting better.
Sam

CJ

Take care and I hope all goes well for you and your family.

CJ

franklinair

Rich-
A nice R&R vacation is in order for you to go to CA for the Galpin-Knott's weekend in April. It would be GREAT to see you there.

Neil Hoppe

P

PNewitt

WOW! What da??? So glad that you're OK now. How close a call was THAT?

We wouldn't know what to do without you here! I am SO sorry to hear this story of yours....

We never really know a lot of the behind-the-scenes stories about the people that post and read these threads. Not that we need to be nosey--but there are so many things that happen with each of us, that may or may not be told amongst us. For those of you with problems, be they medical, or otherwise, I know that we all offer you our thoughts and prayers. I remember (and appreciate) how many of you have been so thoughtful about my mom's surgery last December (she's doing just fine now at 83, BTW).

Well....you know...you could strap a "Smiths Oil Pressure Gauge" on your arm from now on. A high performance pump (dry sump?) might work too....LOL!

Glad to see you're doing better.
It looks like a guardian angel is looking over you.

Paul N.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Thank everyone for your good wishes here on the thread, PMs and emails. I appreciate it.

I debated before posting what had happened, I tend to be a private person and didn't want to make it seem like I was looking for sympathy or anything. (That's just me). After some thought, I finally decided to let you know what was happening. I wouldn't and didn't post it on any other forum but as you all know this is a different group here and felt I would let you know what was happening. I "talk" with most of you more than some friends and family and felt it was something I would share and explain my absence.

We may be spread out across the globe but we're only as far as these forums. Even though we've never met I still feel like I know so many of you through here.

A trip to the 40th celebrations out West would be great but this kind of put a damper on that for me. I have to go for another procedure before the end of April so I'm going to stay close to home for now. I'm still planning on making the trip to Carlisle though in June.

Thanks again for all the concern, I'm on the mend, getting better every day.
Besides driving season is coming fast here in NY and I need to get the CS and myself ready for some driving!

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...Rich, thank you for posting your condition and giving us the opportunity to be as part of your "family".

IMO - some of the greatest threads here range from the hearty "WAY TO GO or Congratulations" when you get a new car, win awards (or break into 11-sec 1/4 mile)...to... heartfelt condolencses and concern when one has a wreck, health issues or friend in need.

A refreshing and welcome addition to the generous tech., restoration and preservation assistance present here.

'Glad to hear your now on the mend.
:)