• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Big Trouble!...

Midnight Special

...Daughter gets driver's license and son is three weeks away from learner's permit!

TJ has begun with the overhaul of his "68 coupe (183K+ original miles) to have ready for when he gets his license.

We've read on another thread where Joe is having trouble getting traction during acceleration. My immediate solution for TJ is to retain the 2v intake and carb instead of the big Holley "four" and Edelbrock high rise the new motor came with!

Wish me luck!
;-)

Attachments

• IM001442.jpg
    IM001442.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IM001511.jpg
    IM001511.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IM001533.jpg
    IM001533.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IM001534.jpg
    IM001534.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IM001537.jpg
    IM001537.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IM001509.jpg
    IM001509.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 63

joedls

Boy, you are in trouble. I purchased my first car when I was 15 and didn't have a license. The car had a seized up engine. My buddies and I re-built the engine and had it running by the time I had a license. I remember wanting a 750 CFM Holley Double Pumper so bad for that car, but I couldn't afford it. I had to buy insurance and the carb was, I think, around $100. So a buddy of mine showed me how to re-build the Rochester Quadrajet. BTW, my first car was a 1970 SS Chevelle with a 396. Definitely way too much car for a 16 yr old kid.

68 GTCS

I purchased my first cat when I was 16, it was a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe, 260 4v, four speed (all factory equipment) Motor built buy a man from Glendive MT. to run 1/4 mile. In primer ready for paint, I sold the car for $200 more than I paid to a idiot who pulled the motor to install in a 66 Mustang and then he crushed the 63 Sport Coupe.:frust:

To this day I have not found another one like it. I wish the title would not have been in my name, I would probably still have it.
Good Luck

Kevin

franklinair

Tim-
What a good thing you're doing, getting the kids involved with their cars. The sweat equity they invest will make them better owners & drivers.

Neil

HappyHour

Wow fun pics...they got their own "monster" garage. Is the fact that TJ's dad is worrying about his son getting traction more telling versus pitching it as gas saving option?? :wink:

I remember during autoshop driving out to fix my 67 Mustang every other day. This one kid had a cherry restored 66 Chevelle and would do break stands in the alley. Smokkaaaayyyy....

Timmknz

You are in for it now MR!

Yowie-
My son turned 16 this year, wants desparately to drive the 68, but insurance says no way....
He is in an 86 4runner with an auto (can go anywhere with good economy, but not very fast!) Perfect starter rig- he is looking around for a 68 coupe to turn into a GT/CS/Shelby clone. He is a good kid, working hard painting houses to earn the money for the project. So if anyone has a lead on a long term project car for a kid and Dad to take a couple of years on, let me know!
And then there is my daughter- turns 14 this year, and wants a convertible beetle for her car. Oh where oh where did I go wrong?!?! :wink:
Good Luck Tim-
Tim

PonyGal

Great pictures Tim!

I remember when my kids first got their drivers license. I don't think I slept for the first few weeks afterwards! Thank God they had a big monster to drive around. I don't remember exactly, but it was a 70 something Mercury Monarch they bought from the neighbor really cheap. They drove that thing into the ground! Actually was a "planter" on my property until I had it towed away.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim-
What a good thing you're doing, getting the kids involved with their cars. The sweat equity they invest will make them better owners & drivers.

Neil

Thanks Neil (and everyone:)
Indeed, taking it apart is one thing, but learned habits in getting her back together properly and methodically will be the most fun. We're doing everything mechanical, but will fore go an expensive paint job for the time being due to typical high school parking lots. He won't be driving the CSs b/c of insurance, but this one is on the normal policy. So far he's showing great enthusiasm & care.... and driving anticipation ;-)

Attachments

• IM001540.jpg
    IM001540.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...New motor & trans went in tonite. 'Hope to have her going by the weekend :) No rush tho...

Attachments

• IM002201.jpg
    IM002201.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IM002197.jpg
    IM002197.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IM002175.jpg
    IM002175.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IM002158.jpg
    IM002158.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 27

PFSlim

Tim

Good luck. I think it is great what you are doing. Zach was 10 when we did our project but he treats the car with so much respect because he has so much sweat equity in the project. He recently got his learners permit so we have been spending quality time driving the GT/CS when possible.

I hope the best for TJ. That is one cool dad that helps his son with a project like that!!

Paul

joedls

Very nice!! I know TJ will be very proud of his accomplishment when he gets in the car, turns the key, and drives off for the first time. This is a wonderful thing you're doing with your son, Tim.

My son is 11 and my oldest daughter is 14 and they both want to help me when it's time to tear down my engine and re-build it. Then, of course, they'll have to help me put it back in the car.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Thanks Paul :) As you know, the kids are what make it all worthwhile.
You and I are very fortunate to have them!

I have found in this hobby that some (adult) friends will pop in & out of your life based only on their needs, and when they get 'em - their gone! But your kids are forever. In the short run, we're cultivating the respect and partnership that will will provide the maximum care and enjoyment of our investment. In the long run; unspeakable confidence and values that will take them well beyond... To me; It's not just about the cars. but they sure provide a great "interim" :)

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Thanks Steve & Joe! Oh, there will be many a' road trip :) ...and Joe - you too have probably discovered the added expense of having your son and daughter help out.... LAUNDRY! ;-))

Attachments

• IM002189.jpg
    IM002189.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IM001533.jpg
    IM001533.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27

PFSlim

Tim

I hear ya!! Looking forward to having my 9 year old and my 15 year old help build the new AC Cobra Replica.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang026.JPG
    Stang026.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 24
  • Stang405.JPG
    Stang405.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Stang432.JPG
    Stang432.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 29

Diesel Donna

Congratulations Kat!!!!

TJ....keep up the good work!

Good job Tim and Frances!

PonyGal

Hey Tim,

Looks like you and TJ are making great progress on his car! Looks like a lot of work though :-O

Can I reserve a ride now???? (or do I need to get in line????)