• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Adirondack Nationals Pictures

BroadwayBlue

A few weeks ago I attended the 20th Adirondack Nationals held in Lake George, NY.

This was the most unbelievable show I ever went to.
It was more than just the show though, it was the atmosphere the whole weekend that was fantastic.

We got there on Thursday afternoon - as we're getting to town, people are sitting on the side of the road in lawn chairs just to watch the cars drive by. They were there all weekend.

The cars took over the town. Approximately 1500 cars registered for the show. Registration sells out the previous February. You have a certain date to mail your registration, you can't mail it early, and then it's first some first serve.

Restaurants, Hotels, Stores, every parking lot full of classic cars.

In addition to the 1500 cars in the show, there had to be another 1500 cars that just showed up to hangout.

I went to buy gas one day and there was nothing but classic cars getting gas. It was a wild site.

Thursday night there was an informal cruise through town again people lining the streets.
Friday and Saturday night they shut down the streets of town and just the classics are allowed to cruise.
Unfortunately my car broke down in the middle of the Thursday night cruise but it was still the wildest thing I've seen.

The cars just took over town for 4 days.

Friday was a show and shine, Saturday was a show (it rained on and off) and Sunday was for the Favorite 50 winners to compete in an additional show.

If you ever get to come to this show it is something to see.

Cars of every type are represented.

I got to meet another GT/CS owner of a white CS with black vinyl roof and and red stripes. His name is Mario. He and his wife came to introduce themselves as I was taking some shots for the calendar. I've tried to get in touch with him a few years ago through this site but it never worked out. We were the only 2 GT/CS cars there.

On top of everything else I got a chance to see a Batmobile from the TV series up close. It was used after the series for promotional use, never in an actual show I believe. The owner was impressed with the GT/CS and asked a lot of questions about it. He said "I know you're going to take pictures of my car (Batmobile) but I'm going to take pictures of yours". He was a big Mustang fan and owned a few over the years.

It's all in the pictures on my smugmug site.
The pictures of the cruise don't do it justice.

There are 3 galleries from the weekend.

All 2008 shows are here:
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/Car%20Shows%20and%20Cruises/528862

Lake George - Thursday Gallery
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/6103635_A6hTS//383486991_ghBpN

Lake George - Friday Gallery
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/6104154_JQk7z//383520065_gz2ov

Lake George - Saturday and Sunday Gallery
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/gallery/6104044_8bJXG//383510055_BXgev

I'm planning on trying to secure a spot for next year again.
It's a show not to be missed.

Last edited:

68gt390

Rich;
Excellent photo's. Truly a wide variety of automobiles to say the least. You wouldn't happen to have the website were one could obtain their registration form would you? Sounds almost like the Woodward Dream Cruise. I might have to try and make this show next year.

Don :grin:

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich;
Excellent photo's. Truly a wide variety of automobiles to say the least. You wouldn't happen to have the website were one could obtain their registration form would you? Sounds almost like the Woodward Dream Cruise. I might have to try and make this show next year.

Don :grin:

Thanks Donna - too bad it rained on Saturday but as you can see it didn't deter cars or people from showing up.

Don,
Here is the website
http://adirondacknationals.com/

You can't mail your registration form until 2/1/09 I believe. The info is all there.

If you do get in - book your hotel right away - or book it now if you're thinking of going - I assume you might be able to cancel later.

They put out a DVD of the show. Last years came out very professional. I purchased the one from last year's show to see what it was all about. I was impressed, but again, it didn't do justice. Being there in person was fantastic.

They give out 50 Favorite Awards in addition to some other awards (Ladies Choice, Mayors Choice, Favorite Mustang, etc ...) they are listed on the site.

It's not a "judged" show or a popular vote, so really anyone has a chance of winning one of the awards. The awards are picked by club members and sponsors, etc.

What's cool is the Favorite 50 from this year (2008), competed on Sunday where the resort employees picked their favorite car for a getaway package.
Next year, in 2009, the Favorite 50 from 2008 are invited back. From that group, they pick two senior winners. Those winners are on the show artwork for 2010.
So the artwork cars from this year (see picture below), were part of the Favorite 50 in 2006 and picked as Senior Winners in 2007 and were on the 2008 artwork. Did you follow that? There are pictures of these 2 cars in my galleries - I think on Friday.

I can't imagine the work that goes into this but it was put on very well.

Thursday night there is even a welcome party with an appetizer buffet and drinks included and a live band. That's all included as part of the registration fee.

If you look at a lot of the cars, there are stickers on the passenger side windshield. This is your admission for the weekend and to cruise the streets. You'll notice that people have them on there for year after year - it's a popular thing to do in this area.
I live about 3 hours away and everyone drives around with past year stickers all year round. Some people peel them off and mount them on frames and display them with their car. Many people told me if they go nowhere else, this is the one show they go to. Very laid back and just cars everywhere!

OK - I don't get any compensation for this. I just was floored by the size of the show and the atmosphere around town. It was like the clock turned back years. A few people did compare it to the Woodward Dream Cruise, which I have never been too.

Attachments

• Copy of 08_artwork.jpg
    Copy of 08_artwork.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 17

68gt390

Rich;
Thanks for the site address. I'll have to plan my vacation accordingly. My son wants to take a trip up the east coast so since he's paying for it "dad" will horn in with a car show trip. :grin:

Don