• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Welder Choice?

hookedtrout

I'm hinting to the wife that I would like a welder for my Birthday. Anyone familiar with the Lincoln Weld Pak 100? Looks like it will weld up to 1/4 inch. Cost is around $350 with a few accessories. Not something I would use a ton (I say that now) but I'd like to be able to fabricate some things for the Jeep, and do general welding repairs and build some things for fun.

Advice?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I've had that exact welder for 8 years or so and I like it a lot. You'll definitely use it more than you think. You tackle projects in a different way once you get a welder. I fab stuff up for my Bronco all the time.

My only complaint is that it doesn't do very well on really thin stuff. I've heard the gas conversion kit will help with this, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=admin link=board=4;threadid=798;start=0#msg4437 date=1076045162]
I've had that exact welder for 8 years or so and I like it a lot. You'll definitely use it more than you think. You tackle projects in a different way once you get a welder. I fab stuff up for my Bronco all the time.

My only complaint is that it doesn't do very well on really thin stuff. I've heard the gas conversion kit will help with this, but haven't had a chance to try it out.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I've also heard the gas conversion is a great help but is worthless in outdoor situations or any place that has wind and environmental issues.

I would like to be able to fab some bumper modifications and light brackets for the Jeep as well as build my own lock box for the back as I run topless all summer long. Need to lock up all the safety and retreival gear and this stuff is pricey purchased. Pay for the welder in no time at all. I can see some fabrication that would enhance the atv trailer as well. I think you're right I'll be welding non stop.

Cory

hcsstang

My son has a mig welder and that is good for thin material. He has his own garage and installs a lot exhaust systems.

PB gtcs

I have recently bought a Lincoln, I think its a 135 or something like that. It has the gas attachment. Can tell you this, the body shop guys will not even touch one if it does not have the gas. Mine costs abuot 550, but am very glad I stepped up to the gas. I can tell in one second when the gas is not there. Smooths out the weld, more forgiving, can weld thinner sheet metal.

My 2 cents worth

Brian

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=PB gtcs link=board=4;threadid=798;start=0#msg4445 date=1076081085]
I have recently bought a Lincoln, I think its a 135 or something like that. It has the gas attachment. Can tell you this, the body shop guys will not even touch one if it does not have the gas. Mine costs abuot 550, but am very glad I stepped up to the gas. I can tell in one second when the gas is not there. Smooths out the weld, more forgiving, can weld thinner sheet metal.

My 2 cents worth

Brian

[/quote]

From what I can tell by researching the 135 Lincoln is basically the same as the Weld Pak 100 but it comes with the gas attachments. When you read the specs on the two they are the same unit as far as Amps and thickness they can weld so it may be worth the extra to get the gas right off the bat. How much does a gas cylinder run and how long do they last?

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm learning a lot fast. Hopefully I'll be welding soon.

PB gtcs

The gas cylinder here in KC is 60 bucks deposit for the small one. Dont know how much for the big one. However, need only the small one unless you are doing a total restore where you are putting on frame rails, quarters, wheel wells and such.

The small one for me ( I run about 12 to 15 lbs of pressure while welding inside) lasts for about 1/4 of a large roll of weld wire.

The refill is between 20 and 25 bucks. I use the C25 and get along fine. Use 0.0300 wire. If all you do is sheet metal, then 0.025 wud be better.

Be sure each time you shut off the welder to close the valve on the bottle (I learned that after about 50 bucks). Not many systems are leak proof.

Now, this rookie will leave it to the pros to correct above errors and add real advise.

Brian

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=admin link=board=4;threadid=798;start=0#msg4449 date=1076110380]
Hookedtrout, just don't try something like this for your first project: :)
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40950
[/quote]

Wow that was a mess, were pretty lucky here in Idaho, it's a dry heat and a dry cold so we don't have to many issues with rust. My Jeep is in excellent condition, I just want to add custom roll cages and goodies. That guy did a great job though didn't he.

You can see the Jeep at the link below click on the pictures a couple of times and they will be big sized:

http://www.bigredheep.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=76

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Picked up my welder yesterday. Somewhere between point A and point B they convinced me that Miller is not only a little better machine as it has more metal parts and less plastic but Miller is way better to deal with on repairs and parts. They supposedly put the customer at the top of the list. I hope I don't have to find out. Anyway I picked up the Miller 135 and they gave me a pretty darn good deal from what I price checked on the net and from all of the calls I made local. He sold me the unit with all the attachments and a cart for $550. The lincoln I was looking at was $440 without cart or any of the gas connections. This Miller is set up and ready go on gas.

Should be some fun ahead I hope.

http://tinyurl.com/2nd77

Hook

BrandonB

If I recall right American Choppers did a bike for Miller just a little while ago :p

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=BrandonB link=board=4;threadid=798;start=0#msg4476 date=1076454152]
If I recall right American Choppers did a bike for Miller just a little while ago :p
[/quote]

I think you are right, I saw some of the advertisements for the show on the Miller Bike.

Hook

BrandonB

If american chopper did something for miller then im sure thats a perfectly fine welder in your hands my friend

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=BrandonB link=board=4;threadid=798;start=0#msg4483 date=1076471870]
If american chopper did something for miller then im sure thats a perfectly fine welder in your hands my friend
[/quote]

Now if my hands will just make a perfectly fine welder I'll be all set. Find out tomorrow just how good I am as a beginner I guess. I'll post up some pictures of my handy or un-handy work.

Hook

et9secstang

Hello, I have used a couple of different welders and my Miller is the BEST.It welds nice and easy to use.