• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

AC Cobra Engine

PFSlim

We received our newly build 390 FE engine for our new cobra build yesterday. The engine is great. It is bored out .40 over, original 428CJ heads, aluminum intake, and Holley carb. Somewhat of a mild cam and flat top pistons. Also complete with a 4 speed Toploader transmission and a Lakewood bell housing.

We are not searching for horsepower for this build. As a matter of fact, we are trying to gain weight for the 2300 pound car.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00450.JPG
    DSC00450.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00448.JPG
    DSC00448.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Engine Installed for Test Fit

I am moving along with the cobra project. Most of the chassis is now complete. We installed the engine for a test fit. Next, we need to install the body on the chassis so we can do backspacing measurements for wheels and tires. Once those are ordered and received, the "roller" will go back to the cobra shop for custom made headers and sidepipes. Once complete with that, the body will be removed and taken over to the paint shop to become "The Black Pearl". We will bring the chassis and engine back to the shop and complete the build waiting for the body to come back.

Will supply more pictures as we move along.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 39

rvrtrash

Very Nice! I always thought I should build something like that, or a Daytona, some day. When I get there, I'll give you a call.

Steve

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Thanks guys. It has been a rewarding experience thus far to see it go together. Better work with new parts instead of trying to clean old Mustang parts and put together. However, harder because the type of car I bought does not come with much of an assembly manual. And...there are only a few made. So, a lot of time trying to figure things out.

I picked up my completed dash and door panels today. That is a big boost. A few other specifics are below:

Wilwood pedal setup
Wilwood master cylinders (1 for clutch - 2 for brake)
Wilwood external slave cylinder

I have most things figured out (at least to this point). I am sure more questions will arise as we start our final assy.

Here is my dash and door panels.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00544.JPG
    DSC00544.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Body Installed

We installed the body last night. Getting ready to measure back spacing for wheels. Once wheels/tires are installed, it is off to have headers and side pipes made.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00546.JPG
    DSC00546.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00553.JPG
    DSC00553.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00549.JPG
    DSC00549.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 22

PonyGal

NICE!! Thanks for posting pictures. Looks like it is coming along nicely. Keep us posted :)

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Received my wheels the other day. Still waiting on tires. These are 17 in Team III wheels. The fronts are 8 in wide and backs are 11 in wide. That measurment is from inside bead to inside bead. Just to give you an idea that your eyes are not playing tricks on you, Zach is holding up one of the back rims to show width.

It is alot of work to get the backspacing correct. I had a guy come over, we pulled front and back shocks, mounted known backspacing wheels on the car, then adjusted and figured out (with spacers) what mine should be.

Tires are back order but should be here around June 10th.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00577.JPG
    DSC00577.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00578.JPG
    DSC00578.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00579.JPG
    DSC00579.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Tires are on. Yesterday, we hauled the cobra down to the cobra shop so they could build the custom headers and side pipes. When they are finished, the car will go over to the painters for the "Black Pearl" coating of paint.

Moving closer.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00611.JPG
    DSC00611.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00608.JPG
    DSC00608.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 26

hookedtrout

You actually have a Cobra shop down the street? Wow, it would be nice to live closer to civilization at times, probably wouldn't trade my rural life for city life but I can guarantee you I'd be on the street for hours and hours before I found any Cobra shop or Mustang shop for that matter. Heck it's tough to find a shop, cows yes, shop no that's why I want to build one so bad out back, I'm tired of driving hours and hours and only finding cows!

Awesome car, can't wait to see it dressed in Pearls.

Cory

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Thanks Cory. Yes, there is a cobra shop here in Kansas City. They are a small shop that designed and manufactured replica cobra's. The good news is that their is (and I am guessing) only about 25 cars here in the U.S. that were built. Another 25 maybe went to Europe. The bad news is that there is only about 25 built here in the U.S. between 2002 and present. Not alot of folks to ask questions about how to build and they have changed so much between 2002 and present through re-engineering that no two cars are the same.

That being said, in my opinion the car is as close to original as possible. And, it really is a well manufactured car once built.

We are anxious to get paint so we can get it back home to really make some progress on the build.

Thanks again.

Paul

Perkchiro

Hey Paul, isn't Band B Cobra Manufacturing near or in KC? Is that the place you're referring to? I've been looking at Cobra Kits myself and because of my 6'5" height, a 90 inch wheel base is too short. I've found two manufacturers that have a 96" wheel base (Hunter and West Coast). Any opinions? Your project is looking great by the way!

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Steve

To tell you the truth, I have only heard of West Coast, but don't know much about them. My car is a Premier Motorsports car that is just west of downtown on the Kansas side. It has a thick fiberglass body and a fiberglass tub (interior and trunk) which is all one piece. The frame is custom made and all the suspension components are custom made. This will be the second Premier car we have built. My brother's red car is a 428FE car with 475HP and 530 foot pound torgue at rear wheels.

We have also built a Factory Five cobra. It is blue and belongs to my brother-in-law. It is my understanding from visiting the FFForum site that taller guys build and have room in the FFR car. It is a great car but just built differently and uses more Mustang stuff. He has a 302 Ford crate racing motor that turned 357HP on the dyno.

Let me know if I can help or if you want to learn more. I am a member of the Mid America Cobra Club so we can get some feelers out if you are looking at a specific car. Maybe someone in the club has one.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00288.jpg
    DSC00288.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 22
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Well, I haven't had alot to report on the progress of the "Black Pearl". We finally got the headers and sidepipes manufactured. They have been on and off several times. Last week, I reinstalled so my painter could double check the clearance where the sidepipes leave the body. Once we were satisifed, the headers and sidepipes came back off.

We have a slight adjustment to make on the sidepipes as the exhaust is pointed about 45 degrees down. I want them to exit straight out. Once that adjustment is made, the headers and sidepipes will be ceramic coated silver and polished.

The car is now sitting with the painter. This week, he was to re-install the hood, decklid and doors to check gaps. Then the body will come off the frame and body will stay to get painted sometime in the next month. We will bring the frame home to finish it while waiting on the body.

I ordered the carpet this weekend. Most everything else is in our shop waiting to go on the car.

Paul

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 30