• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Passenger Door Lock Question

case12

I noticed on my all original 36 ford that there is only a keyed door lock on the passenger side - there is NOT one on the drivers side. I have asked around and this is the case for many early year cars, but no one seems to know why. So....Why is there a door lock only on the passenger side of early vehicles (20's, 30's, 40's)? Thanks, Casey

Midnight Special

I noticed on my all original 36 ford that there is only a keyed door lock on the passenger side - there is NOT one on the drivers side. I have asked around and this is the case for many early year cars, but no one seems to know why. So....Why is there a door lock only on the passenger side of early vehicles (20's, 30's, 40's)? Thanks, Casey

My friend's old truck is the same way. The driver side door locks from the inside and passenger door with a key. It was so that a woman wearing a long dress etc... could lock her car from the inside and slide out the passenger side onto the sidewalk (and out of the muddy street), then lock the passenger door with a key. It also alleviated safety concerns when parking in big cities as deterrent to people getting run over by street cars and side swiped when getting in & out. I heard (but can't confirm yet) that it was illegal in New York City at one time to enter your vehicle from the driver's side when parked on the street.

murf104

The world is in balance, because now many newer cars have only the key operated lock on the drivers side and nowhere else.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The world is in balance, because now many newer cars have only the key operated lock on the drivers side and nowhere else.
Yeah, the wife's car is like this and it drives me nuts. Obviously they intend for you to use the remote clicker, but I already have one of those honkin' things on my key chain for my daily driver. I can't fit another one. :icon_bore

Interesting history Tim. Or you just made it up. Either way it's a good story. :wink:

Midnight Special

Interesting history Tim. Or you just made it up. Either way it's a good story. :wink:

...No, I didn't make it up Jon ('wish I did;-)

I had heard that twice from some seasoned old timers over the past 10 years or so. One was a grandfather to a friend who still has the '51 Ford PU he bought new that is set up that way. I've been on-line now for about an hour trying to find proof w/ no luck, so we should indeed refer to it as a "definite hear-say"...

OP
OP
case12

case12

Tim, another person gave me the same answer you did. Again, nothing to back it up, but at least another data point that points to what you suggested as being the answer. Thanks, Casey

BroadwayBlue

From WikiAnswers.com

Why do many antique cars such as a 39 Plymouth have a key lock on only the passenger side door?
Answer

Is it possible that back in this time period men were more gentlemanly and unlocked their spouses door first, therefore she would unlock the drivers door from the inside by the time he came around the car? Just a thought!!

Scott

I'd like to add that "they" only introduced driver's side door locks so you could let her in and see if she unlocked your door. If not, you know she's a selfsih broad and not worth the trouble.

Did I learn this in the godfather, or some other gangster flick?