• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Car Shows

Mosesatm

Is it a common practice in car shows to receive extra points for displaying tools, a first aid kit, an oil can, and a display board?

Bill and took our cars to show yesterday that awarded up to 10 extra points for this stuff.

Midnight Special

...I don't know Arlie. Perhaps with more people showing perfect cars, maybe they figure that's the best way to up the ante'. Does the first aid kit need to be period correct?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

...I don't know Arlie. Perhaps with more people showing perfect cars, maybe they figure that's the best way to up the ante'. Does the first aid kit need to be period correct?

No, they'll take anything.

My guess is that it was originally meant to be a way to reward people who had the original kits for their cars, but it somehow got twisted into awarding points for any tool kit, first aid kit, etc. Either that or it's a way to make sure the regulars win.

JohnnyQuest515

Some shows I have been to add for displays and items like original literature, owners manuals etc.

Personally I like to look at Displays and Marti Reports. Kids like my 1/18 scale model of the car too!

Randy

Midnight Special

Congratulations Arlie!

I opted for smaller signs with the Marti reports laminated to the back. The literature is handy for anyone who wants to see it, but I quit doing the big display board to afford better pictures of the car. Some shows have banned tri-pod displays due to liability in windy conditions...

Diesel Donna

I've only ever heard of points being deducted if your hood wasn't open, no matter what condition the cleanliness of the engine compartment.

Congratulations Arlie!

I keep a first aid kit in my ambulance(duh)...and I also have a Los Angeles County Coroner bag with an emergency road kit for the car in it. When I attend any car shows with my Professional Car Society club, we must display a fire extinguisher and all lights are checked, signals, brakes, reverse, headlights , but not the emergency lights. All windows must be up and not cracked or missing. The hood must be opened but may be closed after the judges look at it. I was shocked at the first west coast international meet held in CA in 2007 where I placed third in my category and I had never shown it in a ProCar event before. I had no idea what they required for their judging before I got there.

~~~~Donna

Perkchiro

I had that happen to me last year at a car show. Problem is, I didn't read the fine print on the registration and I didn't know to put a first aid kit and fire extinguisher in the trunk. A couple of points lost, but I just can't see mounting a fire extinguisher in the trunk!!

Diesel Donna

I had that happen to me last year at a car show. Problem is, I didn't read the fine print on the registration and I didn't know to put a first aid kit and fire extinguisher in the trunk. A couple of points lost, but I just can't see mounting a fire extinguisher in the trunk!!

Yeah, kinda dumb huh Steve? I have two in the ambo...one in the forward cab and another in a rear compartment.

The Mustang has one on the rear floor, driver's side (courtesy of Midnight Special) and I think I do have one in the trunk. I always carry one in my daily driver truck too. It's just a habit I have always had, to carry a first aid kit and an extinguisher. I know, I know Tim...I didn't have the extinguisher the one time I needed it, especially when I was on a road trip. :::::dumb:::::::

Midnight Special

...Only in that it was scary DD. (Donna blew a power steering hose about 200 miles out. Hot exaust!) Fortunately, it was at a gas station and a Pepsi truck driver had an extiguisher...

P/S hoses and rotting fuel lines will bite you at the worst possible times! The only other problem I've had was a door-light harness that became a large bulb filament. 'Might be good to have wire cutters handy to snip the battery cable if you can't pull it off.

I have yet to attend a show where those items were required for extra points. Interesting...