• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Who is 68 calspec on ebay? You're an assh-le!!

66 Dearborn HCS

68calspec on Ebay. I don't care who you are here in this site, but your an assh-le! Bid fair you dick! If you want shit, then bid on it instead of lurking and f-cking over those who are bidding openly and honestly. To wait until the last minute of the bidding when nobody who's been bidding in the open has time to catch up is bullshit!! F-ck you and your pony!
I had the high bid on those bezels for a week and you wait till 1 minute before the end when ebay can't send me a notice saying I've been outbid. Fuck You asshole!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Guess it's time I turned the censoring back on. ::) I know you're pissed and this is the Off Topic Lounge, but I'd still like to keep it clean.

When you've calmed down a bit I'll share my views on "sniping", but you probably won't like them.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

Sorry bout the loud ranting. I'd downed most of a six pack when I saw that I was picked off like that. Now that I'm "sober" I'd like to apologize. I RARELY use foul language!! And I have no excuse. I was just REALLY PISSED!!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
OK, here's my take on "sniping" or swooping in at the last second to win an auction.

It's totally legit and an inherent part of online auctions.

It can be annoying so see yourself outbid at the last minute, but it shouldn't ever cost you an auction if you really want it. If you use proxy bidding properly, then sniping shouldn't be a big problem.

Let me ask you this, why does it matter that they came in at the last minute? If they had outbid you 2 days before the auction ended, how would that have been different? Would you have gone back and put in a higher bid? If so then why didn't you bid that high in the first place?

You should always bid the absolute highest amount that you're willing to go. Ebay's proxy bidding will make sure that you only pay one step higher than the next highest bidder. And if you're outbid then it's fine because it's more than you wanted to pay anyway. It doesn't matter whether you're outbid 2 days or 2 seconds before the auction ends.

68sunlitgold

Jon,
I totally agree, I initally felt like 66 Dearborn but at the time I only bid the minumum over the last bid. I then started to bid what I was willing to pay for the item and if I loss, Oh well, there will always be another similar part on ebay soon. But I do understand his feelings, but like you said it is legit and a part of online auctions.
Doug

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

My problem was that this guy came in and probed in the last minute of the bidding. He bid like 15 times in that last minute to find out my absolute highest and added 50 cents. I guess I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he'd been bidding the whole time and was out in the open, but to wait until nobody has a chance to catch up, it's just flat out disreputable and unscrupulous in my opinion.
Whenever I sell on ebay I put a disclaimer that sniping will not be tolerated on my items. Any bids that come in during the last 5 minutes are thrown out if the person has not bid previously on the same item.

hookedtrout

I remember when I first started bidding on ebay. What a learning experience it is. That is ebay, I learned as was mentioned bid the absolute highest amount your willing to pay and if you lose it doesn't matter as you weren't willing to pay that amount. As for bidding at the last minute, that's exactly how I bid now, I have DSL so it's fast and I wait till there is only 15-20 seconds left then I put in the highest amount I'm willing to pay and either I win or I don't and I move on. Bidding days in advance just runs the bid up as far as I can see because there will be others bidding in the last minute as well. Kind of reminds me of the old saying if you can't beat'em join'em. I learned the hard way now I play the same game.

Hook

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=4;threadid=844;start=0#msg4687 date=1080783104]I guess I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he'd been bidding the whole time and was out in the open, but to wait until nobody has a chance to catch up, it's just flat out disreputable and unscrupulous in my opinion.
[/quote]

But that's my point. Why would you need to catch up? Why wouldn't you just put your maximum amount you're willing to spend? And if the guy outbids you by $.50 then it means the part is out of your price range by $.50. OK, you say that you would have gladly paid the extra $.50 to win the auction. If that's the case then you should have bid that extra $.50 at the beginning.

The logic does tend to chase itself in a circle, but if you can set a firm max price in your mind it's much easier to handle snipers.

Anyway, it's obviously a matter of opinion, but I don't think you'll see snipers going away any time soon. I sold 4 items last night and every single one of them changed hands in the last 30 seconds.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

Anyway, I still want to apologize for my foul fingers. This issue obviously will never change. Might as well stick it to the next guy right? I have seen some STUPID things that snipers do though. 3 guys got in a bid war in the last 5 minutes over a set of "Extremely Rare A-code Shelby Boss 289 Seats" ;). The pic was of some torn up plain jane seats . These needed recovered and new "buns" badly. the pair went for almost $500. HOLY HIGH COUNTRY BATMAN!! Some morons just won't allow themselves to lose!!! ::)

hcsstang

I did the same think with a pair of NOS Lucas lights and I got the lights and the next week another pair came up $100 cheaper and no body bid on them. The pair that I got had the wrong commectors on and the latter pair had the right ones on. You can't win. I'm still looking for the right connectors.:(

gtcsjcode

Just to let everyone know, My Ebay name is 68calspcl, and I'm Not the one that 68DearbornHCS is talking about. I myself have been outbidded on items on ebay, and yes it does get fustrating to see an item you want get taken for penny's more that the max you bidded on. I personally have a habit to see an item I might want. I might start the bid, in hopes that I might get a good deal, I then wait till the last minute or two and see where the bidding is. If it's more that I'm willing to pay, I forget that auction and go on with life, If it's within the price range I want to pay, then I bid again to my max.

Last month I needed a Vacuum actuator for my tilt column. A listing came out. No one had a bid. I asked the seller if he would do a off line sale since no one had bidded. He said he would sell for $180. I thought that was a little too high, I responded with a fair price of $120. He declined and said he would wait it out on Ebay. So the bidding started with $20.00 The next day it jumped to $60.00 , Knowing I really wanted this part and knowing that my fair price was $120. I did a bid on the 3rd day at $120.00 I was the high bidder right up until the last day. with 2 hours left the bid was at $150.00

I had to make a decision, do I keep bidding or do I still wait for this part and hopefully find it somewhere else. Well after thinking it out, I was determined to get this part and finally complete my project. The currect bid was at $150.00 but the proxy was unknow, so like most of us we wait till the last 2 minutes, and with 60 seconds left, I bid $200, I was outbidded, and to someone in the UK, I then thought about it. This is a rare part, a one time buy for me, so with nervous fingers I did a bid of $300. and there was only 30 secs left, the bid came to $270.00, I was shocked to see it that high, but the bid this guy did from the UK was at $265 and he did that bid earlier that day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is when it comes to any auctions via ebay or gov auction or whatever. Everyone is there to sell and everyone is there to try to get good deals. It's sad though when theres someone who purposely bids with no intention of wining, just there to help the sellers make more money. Thats BS and should be dealt with somehow. But the fact is they are there and Bidders beware.

Now that I said that, I just wanted to let everyone that knows me to know that I'm not the subject of this topic, and that I feel for 68dearbornhcs, and to let him know that most all of us have felt some of the fustrations associated with ebay and it's members. It just comes down to a mind set. If you want to bid, then set your price, if you win great, if you loose and it's by a penny, then it wasn't meant to be. Thats the lesson I've learned with ebay and also my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, It's just too close of an ebay name, thats too close to mine.

gtcs68mustang

;D I can understand both sides, but I would not have gone so far as to saying the things that were said to the other bidder. I have been the one who had gotten outbidded, but also the one who got the bid. My husband and I wanted this Saleen that was on e-bay and he put in the most he would spend and as the bidding went, it was automatically bidded for us. We did win the bid that way. It was by one single penny. We thinks it is great, but I am sure that the guy who lost the bid by that penny wanted to kick himself the next morning when he found that out. So you see, it can happen that way too.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=gtcs68mustang link=board=4;threadid=844;start=0#msg4878 date=1082568644]
;D I can understand both sides, but I would not have gone so far as to saying the things that were said to the other bidder. [/quote]

Wasn't this horse beaten to death awhile ago?

quicknick

Just so everyone knows....... My Ebay name is gtcslover. Make a note. If we are bidding on the same thing, send me a PM and lets work it out. No sense in bidding up each other. The object of this site is to help each other out. Where is the love people?

jk89cat

i have lost not one but 2 galaxie 4dr bodies on ebay beacuse of sniper bids , they really make me mad too. the one was at $50 all week and on the last 2hrs i put in $300 . well i lost to 2 bucks in the last 5 sec . boy i was hot! the second was another last 10 sec deal like that . rrrrr! and on certain parts i look in resto catalogs before i try bidding so i know what NOT to bid . justin

hookedtrout

How true it is.

I can't even count how many bids I've sniped in the last few seconds. My advice if you play ebay. Get DSL, speed wins, the later in the game you can wait to throw in your final high bid the more apt you are to win, may the best man/woman win! I lose some in the last seconds but the adreniline rush in playing in the last seconds is too fun. When I lose I grin and bare it and go find another one to play for.

Anyone who thinks they don't need to learn how to win the bids in the final seconds is going to come out a loser more oft than not.

What is the saying, it's not if you win or lose it's how you play the game...it's not the destination but the journey. Play like everyone else and enjoy it.

Hook

007bluto

Well Boo Hoo HOO!!!!! Next time put in a bid of the maximum your willing to pay for an item, and let ebay proxie bid for you. If the item goes for more than you were willing to pay, so be it. If your trying to get something for nothing, so are a zillion other people. Ebay is an auction with a time limit, once again a time limit!!!! People who sit there hovering over their computer, raising there bid one buck or so at a time, deserve what they get. When I want something on ebay, I put up a bid that most people can't stomach, but thats just me, I want, what I want, and I'll pay to get it !!!! Remember this is a NO WHINING ZONE!!! Bluto ;D

-=MUSTANG=-

If it wasn't for ebay all those parts you wanted would be on the shelf of someones garage or at the bottom of a landfill. Sniping is a fact of life on ebay so do it yourself or bit what you are willing to pay and be done with it.