• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What do think of this one? (link is here)

StraightSix

A little pricey perhaps, depending on what your takes on the "upgrades" are.

Also, these things are wrong on the car from a GT/CS correctness standpoint:

-incorrect grille
-probably incorrect fog lights... hard to tell but it looks like the pedestals are gone
-missing hood locks
-incorrect "GT" gas cap (the Marti report verifies that the car is not an actual GT)

-Winston

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Good eye. I only saw 3 out of 4 until I read your post. 8)

StraightSix

;D The thing is, those items are easy enough to correct.

The fog lamp pedestals are available through Tony Branda, and the grill can be modified from a '67 version. My car also has these problems.

I had to drill my own hood for locks (following Paul's book just like the original plant workers did it), and it was easy enough -- except for the part where I screwed up and took off a little too much metal with the hole saw :-\

I see the gas caps on eBay fairly often; there's one right now and there was another just recently.

Keep in mind, however, that my car was pretty cheap. I would expect a car offered at $12,500 to have most if not all of the original, correct GT/CS items. I won't even get into the seats and the performance upgrades. While they certainly hop up performance and make the car safer (in the case of the seats), they detract from the value of the car. I don't have my price guide in front of me, but I would estimate that car's value as it sits at $10,000 at the most. If everything was corrected and the damage to the quarter panel was repaired, then it's value would probably climb to around the asking price.

-Winston

x-codegtcs

It looks like the body holds some secrects with a bondo crack like the one in the photo. I HATE bondo and what it does to metal. My X-code is suffering severly now because of some poor bondo/fiberglass coverup. I would be shy about it without a close magnet inspection. Obviously the car was hit on both ends one time. You may want to ask if the title is clean. The paint looks more like britney blue as opposed to presidential (may be the camera though). The loss of an original qtr extension is cause for concern too. Also, the scoop grille looks incorrect.

C code GTCS's go for about 9-10K as posted above. Generally the engine is a little more detailed than in this example.

Anyway, have fun looking! ;D

RacingFan

That particular GTCS sold about 6 months or so ago. It went for $8500.00 because the owner needed to get it gone quick. Not bad for $8500, I would have probably snatched it for that price. But it is certainly, IMHO, not worth nearly the $12,500 or so asked initially. I remember it coming up on another site as well.

hdricky

[quote author=StraightSix link=board=1;threadid=113;start=0#425 date=1038065588]
A little pricey perhaps, depending on what your takes on the "upgrades" are.

Also, these things are wrong on the car from a GT/CS correctness standpoint:

-incorrect grille
-probably incorrect fog lights... hard to tell but it looks like the pedestals are gone
-missing hood locks
-incorrect "GT" gas cap (the Marti report verifies that the car is not an actual GT)

-Winston

[/quote]

StraightSix

Im somewhat new to this - Is there such a thing as a CS that is not a GT?

Yes, certainly. However, they were ALL called "GT/CS's" even though most were not true GT's. For example, my car is a 6-cylinder GT/CS, when the smallest engine you could have in a real GT was a 289 V-8.

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Straightsix,
actually in 68 the smallest engine you could get with a GT option is the 302, in 67 it was the 289-4 barrel but in 68 they only made a 289-2 barrel and that did not qualify for the GT option, so when you see a 68 with a 289 and it has the GT option on it, it is not original.
Doug