• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS for sale

Goldie

My brothers GT/CS for SALE
The specs are as follows: His email is Fredswartz@hotmail.com wants 17,000 U.S. :-X
I will try to attach a photo .
He has changed the color from yellow to Raven Black
it is an orginal 289 car. He has done the following:
Carroll Shelby Valve Covers, Shelby 10 spoke wheels.
dual exhausts with chrome quad tips, stainless wheel trim, stainless door sill plates, rechromed the bumpers, new Carlite windshield. new carpets, seats, Shelby wood steering wheel,CS shelby valve covers, cs shelby floor mats, new black vinyl top. New brakes, traction bars,steering upgrades, new dash, al weatherstrips new. The interior is back to the original ravel black color.

66 Dearborn HCS

I'd say he's about $5k-$7K too high. It's a 289 car, not a 390 or bigger. Lotsa aftermarket things that are nice, but not THAT nice. Non-original paint color also. Post some pics.

OP
OP
G

Goldie

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=3;threadid=972;start=0#msg5432 date=1087769259]
I'd say he's about $5k-$7K too high. It's a 289 car, not a 390 or bigger. Lotsa aftermarket things that are nice, but not THAT nice. Non-original paint color also. Post some pics.
[/quote]

The price may be off, but this was his way of personalizing his car. It is a VERY NICE car. Excellent body, paint etc. He spared no expense. The after market items are all NOS from top suppliers. I have asked the webmaster to post the only picture I have as I am having difficulties doing it. As soon as my brother gets me more pictures I will send them on.

007bluto

Tell your brother not to worry, The prices of these vehicles are going up. and there will always be someone who will pay your price. Some people just have a hard time stomaching the new prices of these cars, I guess its hard for some to swallowing paying more for a CS than what they paid for the trailer they live in. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

robynGTCS

??? Who has the right to say the price of a 289 should be limited to $15-$16?? The price of these cars is determined by us, the owners and what we are willing to sell them for. My 289 was appraised at $21,500 and I wouldn’t even sell it for that because it’s worth more to me. We all have invested time and money in these cars. Whether it’s a 289 or a “390 or bigger”… it’s all relative. If the owners weren’t so willing to sell a GT/CS or HCS for $15K, there would still be people out there looking for them and they would sell. These are rare cars and no one should have the right to tell you your car is over priced especially at $17K... give me a break! Hopefully someone will appreciate all your brother's hard work and the beauty of his car and it will be worth it to them too. After all $17K is peanuts… half the price of a new car.

68gt390

[quote author=007bluto link=board=3;threadid=972;start=0#msg5435 date=1087835843]
Tell your brother not to worry, The prices of these vehicles are going up. and there will always be someone who will pay your price. Some people just have a hard time stomaching the new prices of these cars, I guess its hard for some to swallowing paying more for a CS than what they paid for the trailer they live in. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Nice reply. Your right on the "money". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is always someone willing to pay for what they want. Some folks need to realize that these cars are not just your average Mustang. Bottom line, if the price is too high for you then move to something you can afford like a moped. A couple of months after getting my car home from Seattle, I was offered $24,500.00 as the car was at that time. I've since finished the interior and am currently doing some engine mods. Besides, it was appraised higher than that just a few months after getting it home. My insurance company has the car insured at $25,000.00. They had their own appraiser look at the car and then they set the insurance amount. That's almost $10,000 above what I paid for it in Feb 04. As one person stated in an earlier post about prices, I can dream about what I think my car is worth and guess what, that's what I'm doing. Besides, my two cars won't be for sale anytime soon.

Don 8) 8)

Doug57

I agree with the last two posts. If a 289 can get 17k, that only enhances the price of a 390. By beating down the price of a 289, only diminishes the price of the 390. It basically comes down to supply and demand. The supply is depleted ( no more production) and the demand is growing greater than whats available. Look at it this way, most of us are homeowners. Are you going to try to hold back the value of your home? Of course not,these cars are not only toys for us but investments to some degree.Real estate is a prime example of supply and demand.More buyers than sellers. Of course low interest rates helped greatly. But that put the demand greater than supply.I don't mean to offend anybody this is just my opinion. I'm no expert.

rvrtrash

Goldie, don't let the naysayers get you down, or your brother. As someone who is in the middle of a restoration, I know what it costs to do a car right, even with doing most of the work myself. Someone who is knowledgeable will appreciate the "deal" you're offering. Your brother is probably selling his pride and joy for thousands less than he is into it. If nothing else, the first rule of retail is start high and then come down. If it sold in the first 5 minutes, you didn't ask enough.
Steve

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Here's a pic Goldie sent me to post in this thread.

Attachments

• Barrys_gtcs1.jpg
    Barrys_gtcs1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16

-=MUSTANG=-

Seems like a lot of people here are putting a price on emotional attachments, anyone willing to pay for that needs to have their head examined.

Just because these cars are unique doesn't mean they're worth more than what the market will bear. At the end of the day these are still coupe mustangs. Fastbacks and ragtops will always be higher on the shopping list that our beloved GT/CS's, especially to people who know this hobby well.

As far as what a car "appraises" for, do yourself a favor and never compare that figure with actual selling prices, the difference may make your rose colored glasses fall off.

BTW, sweet car.

007bluto

Its not really about emotional attachment, I personally have called people who are selling there CS in Hemmings and the different Trader publications. Over the past year the final selling price has gone up, people who are new to, or unfamiliar with restoration are paying a lot more for these cars, driving the price up. New cars are in the $40,000 to $50,000 range, people dont even blink an eye at making a $1000. car payment, per month, or pumping $2.40 fuel into there SUV. While you might think that people paying an outrageous price, need there head examined, you need to realize that the the world is full of these people. These mental patients watch shows like the Barrett Jackson and see the prices and get it in there head that an old car is a great investment, so they drive the cost up by paying more than the informed mustang collector would pay. Where I live people buy there High School age children $30,000 cars, so paying $15,000 for a CS and then sinking another $10,000 means nothing to them. To sum it up crazy is alive and well in this country.......... 8)

-=MUSTANG=-

By the time the frame off ( or shall I say paint off ) restoration of my candy apple red, 289, auto, PS, PB, black deluxe interior GT/CS is done, I will have approximately $13,000 into it. This includes the original purchase price and not adding in my labor since I enjoy doing the work. If some clown is willing to pay me $25,000 for the car, the sound you will hear is me falling out of my chair.........

hookedtrout

[quote author=-=MUSTANG=- link=board=3;threadid=972;start=0#msg5463 date=1087956325]
By the time the frame off ( or shall I say paint off ) restoration of my candy apple red, 289, auto, PS, PB, black deluxe interior GT/CS is done, I will have approximately $13,000 into it. This includes the original purchase price and not adding in my labor since I enjoy doing the work. If some clown is willing to pay me $25,000 for the car, the sound you will hear is me falling out of my chair.........
[/quote]

I was offered $20,000 :eek: for my GT/CS by a guy who had a GT 500KR with a factory 2 speed rear end ???. I hadn't had the car very long and there wasn't any way I was going to sell it. This was in 1983, a long time ago. There are plenty of people out there willing to pay good money for the right car if it appeals to them. Mines a 289 3 speed and short of the original Marchals it doesn't have anything fancy. I can't say if he would have actually coughed up the money if I had said OK because I didn't say OK.

Hook

BrandonB

I was offered 20,000 for my CS and its only got a 289 with an automatic, but I refuse to sell mine plus the guy had another CS only he chopped up the interior to turn it into a drag car...so that helped persuade me.

007bluto

That's what I like, more people chiming in proving the point. The price of these cars are going up.... Frame off restoration, on a unibody car?????? Well that's a new one....... ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

darb

When I was thinking about selling my GT/CS to get a newer car I had SEVERAL offers of 20,000 - 22,000 for my 289 Auto, All Stock w/ Marchal car.

I ended up not selling it, even though I bought the car for 7,500 and then totaled at 13,000 after the full restoration. It would have been a lot of profit, but thanks to the advice from those of you on the board - I figured I'd regret it later.

Brad

-=MUSTANG=-

Funny how no one ever takes the money. I would put good money down on the fact that most of these offers are just that, offers. When the dreaming stops and cash starts changing hands I will become a believer.

007, when you take the time to read fully you can see that in parenthesis I made another reference. The term frame off is often used to get the point across of the depth of the restoration, even when tallking about unit body cars (albeit a bit tounge in cheek). But since we are having trouble concentrating tonight I'll re-phrase; by the time the full and complete, down to the bare metal restoration is done........................ naah..., frame off still sounds better.

007bluto

Oh I can read, I just thought that someone of your stature, who speaks with such authority would never slip up. Your so willing to diss other people and make implications that there statements are BS, I just figured you for a perfectionist. Just one question though, you say that you would fall out of your chair if someone offered you a bunch of money for your CS, you also say that your doing all the restoration work youself. Is there some relation between these two statements? No offence, but is the reason you feel that that your CS would not bring in a big offers is because of its appearance???? :p

007bluto

Oh one more thing Mustang, most people do what's called a rotisserie restoration, but then again your the expert................ :p

BrandonB

ok lets stop the arguing guys this thread is here becuase someone wants to sell their car not bicker over what others think he should sell it for, HIS car HIS price plain and simple if you like it good if you dont to bad go cry in a cornor so leave it be and let the guy try and sell his car.