• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Remodeling my baby's pad.

hookedtrout

Well at work we are implementing a process called 5S for Operators and I ended up this plants 5S coordinator. It is based on a book by Hiroyuki Hirano called 5 Pillars of the Visual Workplace. In short the 5S's stand for Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize and Sustain. It is a method to get rid of everything in the workplace that you don't use and put everything else in order so it is visually pleasing and functionally useful. So as a test I decided to 5S my shop and garage. So the GT/CS is getting a new pad to rest in.

So far I have completely insulated the garage and put up 1/2 in particle on all the walls. I'm sealing all the seams and painting it all white then I'm painting graphic car-toons on the walls of all the classic and muscle cars I've had over the years. I'm also getting rid of all the JUNK I don't use and making a place for every tool and every single item in the shop and garage and it will be shadow painted so you can visually see what's missing. Already looking better but I still have a long ways to go. I figure once it's done it will be a lot nicer to go out and play with the baby and actually get something done towards her restoration. Right now it's half a days job to get to her just to play so nothing gets done.

Hook

rvrtrash

Wow, Hook. That sounds like a project that will take a while. If you're like me and a pack rat, you'll have a lot of junk to get rid off. You know of course, that as soon as you throw something away, you'll need it. When you get it all finished, post some pics so we know what the properly attired CS house should look like.
Steve ;D

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Will do Steve, as a matter of fact I took before :eek: pictures and I'm taking a few along the way :-\ and I'll take some completed pictures ;D as well, I think I'll wait till I apply the Car-Toons to the wall, seems when ever I see an open space I see it as a canvas for art. On the outside of the garage one entire wall has a huge trout jumping out of the water for a fly, bet people never guess what I love. ;D

As for the junk you are absolutely right on both accounts. I have a ton and as soon as I get rid of it I'm sure I'll find a need for it. However it's so bad now that I know I have stuff I need but to find it is more work than going and buying new so I just go buy what I need anyway so it won't be that sad to get rid of all the junk knowing I just go buy new stuff anyway.

Even though the cost is probably 5 times as much to go with wood walls I think I'll like it a lot better than sheet rock. I hate finishing sheet rock and I like being able to hang something where ever I want not where the studs are. I'm seam sealing everything so it should be a fairly well sealed garage and seam sealing with caulk is way easier than sealing sheet rock and sanding it out.

Hook

hcsstang

;D A fellow should move every couple of years and you would't have the junk to get rid of.
My HCS got me into trouble the better half said that since you spent so much money on the car I want new Kitchen cabinets. I'm in the process of pay back now. I'm making them out of red oak and oak is hard to work with. :p I can't ever work on my car cause it's in the museum at Hershey. I got a few thinks that I want to change on the car.
Don't forget to post pictures of the finished product.
Talk about fishing I'm heading for the outer banks N. C.in Oct.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Lot's and lot's of progress made! The garage is all insulated, sheeted in 1/2 in particle, seam sealed with caulk and painted white. I also added in a vinyl window I had laying around. What a huge difference all the changes have made. I'm working on the attached wood shop right now so the garage is being used slightly as a storage area for the tools from the shop. Still a few shelves to hang back up and a few decisons on where to locate some items as far as hanging them and making them conveniently located.

I'm a couple of good days away from completing the shop and I'll shoot some pictures of the difference.

Hook

rvrtrash

Hey Hook, I'm afraid it'll be a few weeks before I'll be able to look at your pictures. I'm going white water rafting on the lower Salmon River for a week and then to the Oregon coast for a week. I'll shoot you a critique when I get back. I am interested in seeing the finished product though.
Steve :)