• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fired up my GT/CS

hookedtrout

Put a battery in the car Tuesday and it fired right up the first time. Took it for a cruise around the property and after a few adjustments on the choke it leveled right out and run like a sewing machine. Ordered up two new front tires to match the back as the back are already new and the front are cracked pretty bad. Getting the insurance put back on and the plates current and it's going in for exhaust.

Cory

bbeatty

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=0#msg9361 date=1112899941]
it leveled right out and run like a sewing machine.

Cory
[/quote]

Man I hope your wife has a better sewing machine than mine does. She can curse a blue streak with the best of them when she fires up that piece of junk!
;) :D ;D

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=mustang man link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=0#msg9362 date=1112900486]
How long has your car been sitting before you started it ?
[/quote]

I typically start it and run it a couple of times a year, this is the first time it has been started since last summer. However I haven't had any intentions on doing much with it until Paul mentioned a possible get together at some future date and that seems to have been the push I needed so I'm getting a modest restoration started. I'm not going to do a ground up at this point. I'm going to rebuild the engine, freshen up the upholstery and then give it a fresh paint job over the next couple of years. The engine runs great right now but it has 135,000 and I have an offer of a free rebuild if I pay for parts including balancing the engine so I think I'll run it a bit this summer as it is and find out if it has any other bugs in it, probably have the radiator cleaned and checked over, the brakes gone through and what ever else fun I can think of to have done to insure it's reliability.

Sure is fun to have it out and about again. I grew up in this car and it's spent the past 10 or so years in storage under a car cover so here we go again. I'm sure my wife will think I'm going through a mid life crisis but oh well. Took her to a car show the other day and she had more fun than I did, I had seen what I wanted and she wanted to continue on, she was having fun and she commented we needed to get my car out so I guess from that I have her support.

Hook

hcsstang

::)She is probably leading you on. If she is like mine she said since you spent so much money on the car I want new kitchen cabinets. My sister tried to get me interested in a granite countertop. I put lamite countertop down.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=0#msg9367 date=1112914805]
::)She is probably leading you on. If she is like mine she said since you spent so much money on the car I want new kitchen cabinets. My sister tried to get me interested in a granite countertop. I put lamite countertop down.
[/quote]

I do all the house modifications and repairs myself, I have a nice wood shop with all the tools, I built all our kitchen cabinets and she loves them, I update, create and modify upon her request and I think she likes knowing that if she needs a change she just gives me the list. Were not fancy top of the line keep up with the Jones type. We like to have what works for our needs and we don't care if they are built out in our own little shop rather than paying the best cabinet maker top $ for them. We spend our time and money enjoying life and what it has to offer. We have a ton of toys ranging from boats, atv's, a Jeep, the Mustang, toy hauler camp trailer and the list goes on, we've pretty much adopted the idea that life was meant to enjoy rather than out do the neighbors. That's probably why I really don't have any interest in having a concours show car, I want one I can jump in and give the kids a ride, speaking of kids you should have seen the day-care kids (my wife runs a day-care) when I fired up the the Mustang. The exhaust is pretty much shot so it was pretty impressive. They ask every day if I'm getting out the race car. ;D That to me is more fun than impressing the guys at the car show.

Anyway the wife was drooling over some of the cars at the show (a new yellow GTO was at the top of her list) so I think it was a genuine "This could be fun" kind of reaction.

Hook

68gt390

Hook;
That's what it's all about, enjoy life. I have these real estate folks calling me all the time saying "did you know you could move up in the style of home you have" and I just tell them I'm prefectly happy with my small dollar home (it's a roof over my head) and besides over the years I've added the creature comforts I wanted so that's enough. Besides, like you said if I tried to keep up with the Jones, I wouldn't have my CS or my GT for that fact. Think I'll stay where I'm at.

I took my CS out yesterday and it felt great. Not like driving my Toyota. ;D Guess I'm kinda fortunate in that my girlfriend likes driving the car's as much as I do. Now if we can just keep the gas tanks full this summer that'll be the real test.

Don ;)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

We bought our home from family and it consisted of 8 acres on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River, I fly fish all the time so that was perfect. The house was built in the 30's and it is old but it's solid and it's square, takes a candle to heat the thing as it was originally a log home and they put stucko on the outside, thick walls means cool summers and warm winters. It also had all the outbuildings including the 2 car garage and shop and another garage and several storage sheds and a barn. All for $56,000 about 10 years ago so we aren't in over our head on the house, in fact the house cost me less than a years salary so we can enjoy the good times and hopefully be set up enough to hit an early retirement. We have friends that are climbing the perfect house ladder and maybe that's what they need, I'm just glad I didn't get wrapped up in all that because there is so much more to life than having the fanciest house on the block.

Our modest old house has 5 bedrooms so it has plenty of room, we've done quite a bit of remodeling and there are still a lot of things we may do however as we grow those "Beauty" things take a much farther back seat to all the fun. If it aint broke we aint fixin it is pretty much our motto. We do the required maintenance and repair anything that needs repaired but the glitz and glammor things...well. This offers us like you said the opportunity to have the play things we enjoy and we go camping and atving and all the other things a lot and they are soon to include hitting all the local show and shine car shows with the Mustang. You are right on the gas and I kick myself in the butt for not taking my toy hauler down and filling the fuel tanks on it before the price got so high so I had a little reserve of the cheapper stuff. Oh well!

Hook

rvrtrash

Hey Hook, I'm glad that deep throaty rumbling sound got you all fired up again! If your wife says you're in a mid-life crisis because of the car, just do like I do--"That can't be right dear, I never grew up to start with". ;D
Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Picked up the new tires today and put them on, picked up some licence plates and registration, stopped at my insurance agent and told him to give Haggarty a call, put on the new tires and took it for another spin around a country block or two.

Sure is nice playing with the car now compared to my younger days. I now have an air compressor, floor jacks, garage, nice tools in a nice tool box easy to locate and the list goes on. ;D Used to be in the back yard, in the rain with a can full of all the cheap tools but the ones I needed and all the maintenance work was so the car would run because I needed it to get back and forth to work. Now it's all for fun and the bumps along the way don't seem to be irritating at all. Didn't seem like the blinkers were working...oh well another excuse to go play with it tomorrow. ;)

Hook

case12

Hook. Sounds like you've got "car fever" now. I suffer from the same disease. I have told my wife it is incurable, and the only way to treat it is with more tools, car jacks, an account with Mustangs Unlimited and a bigger garage. Sounds like you are treating your fever the same way. :)Casey

nfrntau

Hook,
You forgot to mention the most important car tool of my youth. The jumper cables in the trunk! Those were the days of driving until you ran out of gas, parking the car when that happened, and then coming back in a week or whenever when you had $1 or 2 for gas to put 2,3,4,5 gallons in till you ran out of gas again.
Back then didn't have to worry if your car would still be there.
Bill

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Oh so true all of it. ;D Speaking of accounts with Mustang ???? Anyone have a preference? California Mustang, Oklahoma, etc etc. I had a current California Mustang add magazine in front of me and went to the Oklahoma web site and found the Calif prices to be lower on the item I was looking at. $12 Ok, $9 CA it was the interior paints?

Anyone do any extensive price checking? I realize this is just one item.

Hook

case12

I think I have used almost all of them! Mustangs Unlimited I have only tried once (for a front end kit for the GT/CS), but they were curtious, reasonably priced, and fast shipping. I use Larry's Mustang a lot because their prices and parts seem good, but they get orders mixed up (though they always remedy the problem). I have tried Paddock - way too expensive on shipping. I have tried California Mustang, but they seemed expensive. I have also used John's Mustang (but one time on a weekend I got what seemed to be their 'outsourced order center in India' - Not sure they knew what a Mustang is). Tony Branda is very knowlegable and curtious but quite expensive too. Lastly, CJ Pony is middle of the road on prices, but somewhat low on response (I once bought a set of Mach 1 wheels from them and one was warped and they just passed me off to the source with no help).

My favorties are Larrys, and Mustangs Unlimited for now.

I have never used NPD or Year One. Casey

390cs68rcode

I have also used John's Mustang (but one time on a weekend I got what seemed to be their 'outsourced order center in India'

No, you just happened to talk to John's wife :). She has a HEAVY Vietnamese accent. All his other employees are Hispanic.

I would like to say I go to John's in person 2-3 times a week and can say he has some good NOS parts and usually stocks just about everything. Give them a shot.

If John's does not have it then I use NPD since they have everything all the time.

case12

Thanks for clarifying on Johns Mustang. I had always had good dealings with them until that one time. I had a real hard time explaining differences to her between master power brake cylinder caps for 66 vs 68 and got a little frustrated. Your comment will have me checking them out again. Guess I should never assume too much. Thanks, Casey

68gt390

Guess I'm lucky compared some since I have two Mustang restoration sources here in Columbus, Ohio at my disposal. I have tried CJ Pony Parts and NPD and both sent me the wrong parts and CJ took several weeks to get what I needed. Most of my parts I acquire from KAR here in my local area. By the time I factor in shipping cost and time to get the parts it's just easier for me to go to KAR plus, anytime I have a questions all I have to do is call or take the car there and there shop personnel are always happy to help. It's definitely an advantage. Requested catalogues from Year One twice and have yet to get one. Even if I received one now don't think I'd use them.

Hey Casey: How are the LED tail lights working out? Would be interested to hear. Am getting ready to purchase a set in the next few weeks.

Don ;)