• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

High winds shred tents at Russo-Steele car auction in Scottsdale

JohnnyQuest515

Anyone watch Barrett-Jackson last night? They had winds well of 50mph but look at the type of tent at RS and BJ=no comparison in my opinion.

Too bad, wonder how many were damaged or lost?

**After watching the Youtube video it is apparent that uplift was the main problem with the tents failing. The tents like BJ used primarily have sidewalls so the air flow doesn't create lift except/mostly for flow over the top.

Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Here is an interview with Drew Alcazar who runs/owns Russo and Steele
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWpMApuWIo

Amazing if the damage is as light as he said.

I read on the Barrett-Jackson facebook that they were sending food over to the workers at Russo and Steele.

"Barrett-Jackson As a showing of our concern and support, we will be sending meals over to the other local auction site where the crews are working on cleanup this morning,” continued Davis. “We will also be working hard to demonstrate our gratitude to the fantastic staff and customers here at Barrett-Jackson who always rise to mee...t the challenges of any occasion and make us so proud to be a part of this..."

The other night on BJ they said they expected 6 inches of rain out there.

Last edited:

karolscali

was there

I was at barrett jackson when the storm hit, they shut down the end tents and moved people to the main tent, they say it can withstand 100 mph winds, the banners and lights were moving a seem split between main and end tent some water came in the auction did not even take a break, things were rocking.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Wow! Thanks for posting the pics!

The pictures really tell the story.

The damage is a lot worse than they made it sound like.

I just can't believe the number of cars that were damaged!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I fixed the link. The forums truncate long links, so when you copy and paste one of those truncated links it doesn't work.

Those photos are really depressing.

I was talking with a buddy and we were arguing whose insurance company would be liable. He said R&S should have event insurance to cover it, but my guess is the individual car owners will have to file their own claims. Then, if negligence is suspected by R&S then the insurance companies would need to come after R&S.

Just curious if anyone knows how it typically works.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I fixed the link. The forums truncate long links, so when you copy and paste one of those truncated links it doesn't work.

I was talking with a buddy and we were arguing whose insurance company would be liable. He said R&S should have event insurance to cover it, but my guess is the individual car owners will have to file their own claims. Then, if negligence is suspected by R&S then the insurance companies would need to come after R&S.

Thank for fixing the link Jon.

I was wondering the same thing myself.
Wondered if the tent company is liable at all or at least their insurance may cover some.

Wouldn't want to be involved in that mess.

I agree very depressing just imagining the hours, money, heart and soul some people had into those cars and trucks.

hookedtrout

Can't say for sure but prior to taking my car to a local independent mechanic to have the disc brake conversion done I asked my insurance rep how it would work if his shop was to burn. He said that his insurance should pay but they would more than likely push back and then my insurance would pay and if they felt it worth while they could potentially go after him or his insurance, either way I was covered. So I'd say you are probably correct in assuming the individual insurance would go after R&S if they felt they could recover their loss, in this case probably a lot of losses. In my case they probably wouldn't waste the time for one car and just cover me.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Another thought someone pointed out to me was that restored cars can be fixed and re-restored.

But how many of those cars were unrestored, original survivors?

I'm sure there will be a lot of coverage in the car magazines the next few months.