• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How can I install larger drum brakes?

obwan93001

Have been thinking about the manual drum brakes in my CS and how I can upgrade or improve on them w/o having to spend money on a pricey disc conversion and was wondering if going from the stock drum brake widths on my c-code to what was used on the big blocks and if that alone would make any difference in the braking. I was thinking about going to something like 2" or 2.5" and was wondering if it's just a matter of the bigger shoes and the corresponding drums or is there more involved in that? Were those larger sizes used primarily w/power drum brake systems?

In regards to disc conversions, I saw this guy post a services ad on the VMF awhile ago and was wondering if anyone here has seen or used them. Here is a link to the product page for our cars: http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=12 Seems they make a custom bracket/plate that's used w/your spindles then the components are as per the page:

Use the following parts:

Rotors 1963-69 1995-97 Ford Ranger 2WD

1970-73 1983-94 Ford Ranger 2WD

Calipers and Pads 1983-95 S10 2WD

Hoses 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado (17")
1979 Cadillac Seville (15")
1979-84 Buick Electra (12")

Thanks as always for any input on all the above!

Oscar

Ruppstang

I think you can go wider bigger in the same drums. I would pull offa drum a look where the outter wear mark is. When Ford installed power disc brakes they used a narrower rear shoe. Marty

robert campbell

Older Ford Station Wagons had huge finned rear drums. And large front drums. If you can find one, for the rear it is easy. Get the drum and the backing plate. Be mindful of the hole in the brake drum and the end of your stock axle. Also make sure your wheel will fit. If you have 15-inch wheels it should be no problem. When they went to the larger 9 and 3/what ever it was rear end in the late 1960's the axles changed.

go down to you favorite auto store and look up station wagons. They have dimensions and stuff that will narrow your search down for the right car.

Of note, the cheapest brake shoes seem to be the softest and use the least pedal effort. The wear out quicker, but in a Sunday driver that takes years.

As far as the front, I have never went there with bigger drums. Lots of clearance issues. Marty is right on in the fact that some drums will accept a wider shoe.

Rob

franklinair

I opted for NPD's power drum conversion to improve braking. You maintain the original drum configuration, with a power booster. It also includes an adapter so you do not have to change the brake pedal assembly. Works well. About $320

Neil

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Thanks for the input guys! I have been thinking of converting to power drum and might be the way I'll go so as to keep the drum config the car originally came with.

In regards to going w/the wider shoes I'll look over the current front drums to see if I'm good to go wider there. For the rear, if I do go w/wider drums it is necessary to swap the backing plate or is that only if I'm going w/wider AND larger diameter drums? I currently have 15" Centerline knockoffs and when car is ready I have a set of used 15" repop styled steel wheels w/blue inserts, correct for '67 not '68 but I like them so fooey :tongue: So I shouldn't have any issues w/clearance there.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Oscar

earlymustang

When going to wider drums you need the backing plates to go with them. That is what helps with the wider issue size. Look for Large Fords or big block Cars. Most backing plates will fit your spindles or rear end no matter 8 or 9 inch rear. I highly suggest adding power unit first and then wider brakes second if still wanted, rear then front.

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

When going to wider drums you need the backing plates to go with them. That is what helps with the wider issue size. Look for Large Fords or big block Cars. Most backing plates will fit your spindles or rear end no matter 8 or 9 inch rear. I highly suggest adding power unit first and then wider brakes second if still wanted, rear then front.

Thanks for the info earlymustang. I'm planning a trip to a few parts yards in Sun Valley in the next few weeks to look for a couple of things and to see what kind of Mustang stuff they might have, I'll keep an eye open for the bigger drums and see if I can find a power brake setup that I can use.

Oscar