• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Turn Signal Switch - 12 wires?

x-codegtcs

UHG!!! OK - now I am in another situation. I bought a SD replacement turn signal switch. It has 12 wires - not 10. There is a brown and Yellow/brown wire in addition to the original 10. What do I do with these? The SD part number is c8sz-13341-a. The original switch I have (with a broken wire) is C8ZA-13B302-A1. I checked my new AMP underdash wire harness and it is a 10 position plug - but only 9 pins! WHAT! So two questions:

1) Do I have the correct switch? If so, do I just trim and cap the wires?
2) Does the main harness indeed have only 9 pins? I shouldn't have recycled my original fried harness so early.

OMG NOS makes so much sense! I am just too late to buy it!

Thanks in advance!!!

dalorzo_f

Leave them disconnected. The repros are multi-use and have them so one part goes in a few more applications... forget what they're for, but not needed on a '68.

somethingspecial

Leave them disconnected. The repros are multi-use and have them so one part goes in a few more applications... forget what they're for, but not needed on a '68.

What I do is tape off the ends of the two wires, fold them back onto themselves, and tuck them under the rubber sleeve, that way they are hidden. Mike

dalorzo_f

And NOS are way spendy... if you can find them. Seen them go for over $300, as repros are in the ~$100-ish range. The one you have will work fine.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

And NOS are way spendy... if you can find them. Seen them go for over $300, as repros are in the ~$100-ish range. The one you have will work fine.

Thanks for the help again! NOS might be spendy, but by the time I reimburse everyone here for their expertise and my time searching for answers, I know why some just buy NOS...not that I have the pocket book for it, so I have to do it the po-boy way and rely on the generosity of others. Many thanks!

CougarCJ

Shee-Mar manufactured, they are by far the best available.
I think that the two extra wires may be for speed control?

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Where does a guy buy Shee-mar? I searched and only found eBay and most of the listings for the SM46F come up with tilt wheel, not standard.

68 special

yup, pretty sure it's for tilt, had the same issue. just taped them up.

Bret

Eyewood

Replacement of turn signal switch - confirmation

I just replaced mine yesterday and I concur with everything on the thread from before. Here were my bumps in the road:

1. Comical problem but I didn't have a 6mm or 1/4" inch wrench to take my turn signal handle off with (didn't want to strip with locking pliers etc - Harbor Freight run...).
2. Same issue of having the 12 wires instead of 10. I read this thread and felt confident to continue installing. The red wire was with two others that are for something else in their own bundle. Just seemed odd. Mine was from Scott Drake fyi.
3. I discovered that one of the 10 wires was fried. And, it did affect the plastic area around the wire. Therefore, when I inserted the new wires, this one in particular didn't lock inside. Made it work but I'm going to buy a replacement female connector to be safe. I also bought (not here yet) a terminal key tool ($8) from Amazon that will come in handy. 21pcs for any depinning situation.

Jon

robert campbell

I just replaced mine yesterday and I concur with everything on the thread from before. Here were my bumps in the road:

1. Comical problem but I didn't have a 6mm or 1/4" inch wrench to take my turn signal handle off with (didn't want to strip with locking pliers etc - Harbor Freight run...).
2. Same issue of having the 12 wires instead of 10. I read this thread and felt confident to continue installing. The red wire was with two others that are for something else in their own bundle. Just seemed odd. Mine was from Scott Drake fyi.
3. I discovered that one of the 10 wires was fried. And, it did affect the plastic area around the wire. Therefore, when I inserted the new wires, this one in particular didn't lock inside. Made it work but I'm going to buy a replacement female connector to be safe. I also bought (not here yet) a terminal key tool ($8) from Amazon that will come in handy. 21pcs for any depinning situation.

Jon

Jon,
What is the part number for the de-pinning tool? I will buy one.

Rob