• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Paint Code dilemma for 68

Boss302

Im in the process of repainting my car, but cant seem to find the paint code. Everywhere I look online doesnt seem to have what I have. It is a dark blue just like this one:
https://www.oldcaronline.com/blog/w...4/09/ford-mustang-california-special-back.jpg

And the only thing that is close to the paint codes I see is Acapulco Blue. HOWEVER... I have a '69 Boss 302 in Acapulco blue and it looks nothing like that. Its more of a metallic denim colored.

So my question is, is acapulco blue different between 68 and 69? Its definitely not gulfstream aqua or diamond blue.

To make matters worse, I know the car has been repainted so who knows if its even a 68 mustang color? My buck tag says diamond blue which it is clearly not (My car AFAIK is not a real C/S anyway).

When I used to work at a machine shop a million years ago, the ford blocks were painted Ford Blue. Thats almost exactly what the color of my car is.

Any tips appreciated!

Bob

franklinair

My guess would be Presidential Blue. Do the 'Search' for that color.

Neil

Mosesatm

Many colors, like Acapulco Blue, can look different depending on the brand and whether it's petroleum based or water based. I'm pretty sure the car in the photo is Acapulco Blue, or at least a version of it. When the car in the photo was painted the owner may have played with the paint formula.

If you really want to see how extreme the changes can be take a look at some Gulfstream Aqua cars.

Ruppstang

This is a factory correct Acapulco blue. We found original unfaded paint under the fiberglass tail light panel and had the PPG rep match it.

Attachments

• 20190617_165243.jpg
    20190617_165243.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
B

Boss302

Thanks guys, you're probably right! Or, since its been repainted it may not even be a ford color, who knows. When it sits next to my Acapulco Blue Boss 302 they are worlds apart. The good news is, my local paint guy says he can scan it and come up with the color. Ill let you know what he finds!