• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

OT (sorta): '68-'70 comparo

66 Dearborn HCS

I've heard that the '69 has more in common, mechanically, with the '68 than the '70. The outside looks the same for the most part from '69 to '70 (obviously). But I've heard that beneath the skin, the '69 is really closer to the '68. Is this true? ???

68sunlitgold

66 Dearborn HCS,
I think what they are talking about is mechanical parts, ie brakes, engine conponents, etc. You are right that the body panels are very similar between 69/70, but I think Ford did some changes in mechanical parts just like they did between 67/68.
Doug

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=744;start=0#msg4067 date=1072416386]
66 Dearborn HCS,
I think what they are talking about is mechanical parts, ie brakes, engine conponents, etc. Doug
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought it was something like that. Is there anything from the '70 that absolutely won't work with the '69?

68sunlitgold

Not positive...I hav a Ford interchange book that works well when looking what will fit on what cars to include Mercury's. It is worth the money.
Doug

Calspecialdreamer

If you are talking about exterior, well..
1. The rear panel is flush in 70, not in 69
2. The front grill and headlights are different
3. Scoops are gone.

If you are talking about Shelby's, they are exactly the same because they just re-vin'ed them.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=744;start=0#msg4083 date=1072549025]
If you are talking about exterior, well..
[/quote]

Nope, just mechanical. I've owned a '70 Sportsroof and the exterior elements are obvious. Knew about the Re-vinned Shelby's too, but thanks for the shout out.

Scott

Calspecialdreamer

Scott,

Did you know the FBI was involved in the re-vin's? I am going to keep trying 'til I enlighten you on something!

I feel the mechanicals should match up. If not, please don't send me the bill........

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=744;start=0#msg4097 date=1072666289]
Scott,

Did you know the FBI was involved in the re-vin's? I am going to keep trying 'til I enlighten you on something!

[/quote]

No I didn't know that. Why????

Scott

rvrtrash

For what little it may be worth, my National Parts Depot catalog lists one column for 68-69 suspension parts and another column for 70. I would have bet money 69 and 70 would have been the same.
Steve

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=744;start=0#msg4104 date=1072695700]
National Parts Depot catalog lists one column for 68-69 suspension parts and another column for 70.
Steve
[/quote]

I KNEW there was something different. ;D

Calspecialdreamer

FBI was involved to make sure everything was on the "up and up"! Big problems start when you mess with VINs evidently. Guess FBI didn't have better things to do in the Late 60s early 70'!

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=1;threadid=744;start=0#msg4107 date=1072722298]
FBI was involved to make sure everything was on the "up and up"! Big problems start when you mess with VINs evidently. Guess FBI didn't have better things to do in the Late 60s early 70'!
[/quote]

I guess I'm confused as to WHY ford Re-vinned the cars ANYWAYS??? And did the new VINS still show the REAL build date of the car? I didn't realize it was LEGAL even for the manufacturer to re-vin a car.
On an interesting side note. I've heard of Convertibles getting coupe buck tags even though the Vin on the dash, the fender and the door all matched. The guy who owned it says that the DMV even shows the car as a coupe, even though it's obvious the car is an original convertible, not a chopped top coupe. duh!! The DMV won't change it on the title either, because...It's illegal according to federal law ::). Sheesh. But FORD could get away with it. ???

68sunlitgold

It was actually Shelby who revined the car although they did it through Ford since Ford was the original manufacturer. They only did it for the remaining '69 Shelbys that did not sell. That is why the 69 & 70 Shelby look almost identical, with the exception of hood blackouts and chin scoop. I have heard that Ford/Shelby had to also do some updating on manditory safety changes. You are correct that re-VINing is illegal, that is why the FBI got involved. By the way if you own a '70 Shelby, you need to buy mostly '69 Mustang parts because of this very reason.
Doug