• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 stock exhaust manifolds

retroman99

I could use some help I found a set of stock exhaust manifolds for my 289 with date correct casting numbers. I curious about the passenger side with the fitting that connects to the carburetor . does that unthread is there something inside of it like a screen or filter? if so how does it get removed. also looking for some pictures of how that is plumbed to the stock 2V carb. appreciate any help. im currently running the 67 289HI PO manifolds but am trying to get it technically correct. I added a picture to help explain but since I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I believe it is for the choke on the carb ? provides a heat source but I don't know. none of that was on the car when I got it

Attachments

• exhaust manifold.jpg
    exhaust manifold.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

robert campbell

The right side provides a heat source for the choke. The upper hole is where the tube from your choke goes into. The bottom tube does a 180 and heads up to a tube fitting in the top of the carb air cleaner base area on the right side of the top plate This allows the chole to draw clean air from inside the air cleaner element.

Rob

OP
OP
R

retroman99

The right side provides a heat source for the choke. The upper hole is where the tube from your choke goes into. The bottom tube does a 180 and heads up to a tube fitting in the top of the carb air cleaner base area on the right side of the top plate This allows the chole to draw clean air from inside the air cleaner element.

Rob

thanks Rob
does that thing come apart? it looks like the round cap should come off and there is perhaps a filter or screen inside?

robert campbell

Do not think it will come apart. Blow it our good with compressed air and you are good to go.

Rob

Ruppstang

Yes they do come apart. The bottom cap is pressed in, you can use a chisel and knock it out. Then pull out the element. NPD has kits that provide a new cap and element.
Replacing this is the only way to insure that debris will not find its way in to your choke piston IMHO.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Yes they do come apart. The bottom cap is pressed in, you can use a chisel and knock it out. Then pull out the element. NPD has kits that provide a new cap and element.
Replacing this is the only way to insure that debris will not find its way in to your choke piston IMHO.

perfect I suspected it might I haven't seen the NPD parts on the web catalogue. I will look closer thank you

I found it does it look like this?

Attachments

• choke screen.png
    choke screen.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

robert campbell

Learn something new every day!! Thanks guys. I have had more that a couple carbs I rebuilt get there choke crapped up again with dirty air. Not in my garage but by an owner that does not clean this passage out before installing the carb I rebuilt for them. I usually just blow them out with compressed air and they are fine, but removal is the way to go.

Rob

6t8-390gt

Make sure you mark and index the stovepipe like the article I posted. Otherwise you will have problems with the line hooking up to the carb.

Danny